Ford Lightning Forum banner
21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
2021 Mustang Mach E First Edition, 2016 Nissan Leaf, 2003 Toyota Tacoma, F-150 Lightning reserved
517 Posts
I was wondering about this recently and went over Ford's page about this. It made no sense to me that they'd make an F-150 that they are trying to ease people into that isn't 4WD. And on their informational page it states that it has standard 4x4. And says it is ready for off-road adventures (whatever that means).

I know you've gone to one of their reseveration holder events, did they say anything specific?
Not quite sure what you are asking. It is 4WD.

·
Registered
24 Posts
How would you disengage the motors and drive train? The only time a vehicle is towable is when one axle is free wheeling. You can always put it on a flat bed utility trailer.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Well....the lack of flat tow ability is a deal killer for me. Hard to believe Ford's most towed vehicle (the F-series truck line) will not be 4 down towable in the electric version. Especially since they were very proud of their recent patent to charge EV's by towing them. I don't want to buy another vechicle just to tow behind my RV. I need something that I can drive everyday and also tow 4-down.

Guess it's time to look at the Rivian, but I think they are ugly.

·
2021 Mustang Mach E First Edition, 2016 Nissan Leaf, 2003 Toyota Tacoma, F-150 Lightning reserved
517 Posts
I bolded what you said from what I quoted. You said the Lightning will come AWD only, which is not 4WD.
In a traditional ICE truck or car, FWD and AWD are both fed from a single power source. The differences include the way power is delivered and the axle arrangements, locking, etc. On these BEVs the power is from two separate motors, so it isn't quite the same as either AWD or 4WD in an ICE vehicle.

The Mustang Mach E is closer to what one normally thinks of as AWD. However, the main use of the front motor is at low speed. The front motor is used little or not at all at high speeds. So it is not really AWD in the sense of full time AWD systems. Ford lists it as eAWD.

The Lightning is listed as 4WD and there is an electronic-locking rear differential for low speed and limited traction. However, the front vs rear motors are independently and electronically controlled in response to traction and drive needs. It is more like a 4WD system than the Mach E but shares some similarity with AWD systems and is different from the power delivery of a traditional 4WD.

I will stand corrected that it is more appropriately called 4WD if that is what you are after.

Either way, the point of the discussion earlier was in response to the OP: neither the Mustang Mach E's eAWD nor the Lighnting's version of 4WD is flat towable.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts