Ford Lightning Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Currently have a 2020 F150 that I use as a tow vehicle behind my Prevost bus. I have a reservation for a Lightning and wondering if it will be towable. Honestly, the F150 is the most towed vehicle in the Ford lineup. I noticed they recently announced a patent app to allow charging EV's while being towed.

Please tell me the Lightning will be towable? This functionality is a deal killer for me. It must be towable for me to buy.

·
2021 Mustang Mach E First Edition, 2016 Nissan Leaf, 2003 Toyota Tacoma, F-150 Lightning reserved
280 Posts
The Mustang Mach E is not towable. You can neither flat tow nor dolly tow as it is either AWD or RWD. The Lightning will come AWD only.
Tow charging may be possible but that means you would always be charging when it is being towed.

I expect the Lightning will be flatbed tow only like the Mach E but we have not heard for sure. Sorry.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I was interested in the same information and if the Lightning can be flat towed (4 wheels down) how would you setup charging and would it shut off charging once it reaches full charge.
Many questions

·
Registered
295 Posts
It should be the same thing as the Mach-E where you won't be able to flat tow the Lightning.

The Lightning has permanent magnet motors that always rotate when the wheels are in motion. In a flat towing situation it would damage the motors dragging them behind a RV.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Very disappointing. I guess I'll give up my reservation. Not sure why the #1 most towed vehicle in the Ford lineup will now NOT be towable.
to be fair that's for EVs in general not just the Lightning. But Ford has recently filed a patent that could change that about flat towing.

·
2021 Mustang Mach E First Edition, 2016 Nissan Leaf, 2003 Toyota Tacoma, F-150 Lightning reserved
280 Posts
to be fair that's for EVs in general not just the Lightning. But Ford has recently filed a patent that could change that about flat towing.

Yes but it would still be charging. The flat-tow charging still doesn’t provide for flat-tow transport.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts