⚡ Ford Lightning Forum ⚡ banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been looking at getting something electric for a while and really hoping my reservation in August will get me in before Ford runs out of the 200,000 cap for the larger tax credit. What sold me honestly is the lower price, I have never bought a new car or used car for more than 25k and Tesla's just are not cheap enough for me.

I have owned a ton of vehicles in my life and typically buy used and do all my own repairs, have owned a Chevy Monte Carlo, several chevy and gmc trucks, pontiac gran am, subaru wagon, honda fit, chevy sonic, toyota saquoia, highlander and yaris. My toyota's are more USA built than most Ford's :p

I current drive two vehicles, a 2015 Toyota Yaris with 195,000 miles and 1999 Chevy Silverado with 95,000 miles. I drive a lot for work and need a truck for projects and weekends. I'm hoping the Lightning can replace both these vehicles. I'm not sure what if anything I would get for trade ins so might keep the Yaris for longer trips and replace just the Silverado.

Planning on getting the cheapest down and dirty option they offer, I have a generator and while intrigued with the truck to home option its not worth the upgrade price. I drive less now than I used to, roughly 50 miles each way to office or jobsites and my office has charging stations should I need a top off so the lowest range option would work for my day to day needs. Also live in Massachusetts so while Tesla has the most chargers we have a decent grid here.

The real tipping point for me will be if my August reservation will get me an order in time for the full credit, if Ford sells enough other electric cars or other truck orders before me I miss it I might pass on my order... but if I can get into a new lightning for around $30,000 I will jump at it. Looking at $40k with tax around 42.5, then hopefully infrastructure bill passes and I get an and order in time and get $12.5k in tax credits that would put it down at $30,000.

I used to have full house solar with a 10kwhr system and really miss it and would also likely add solar to our new hours if I get any electric vehicle to off set some of the cost but also know I'm actually reducing emissions with my charging coming from the sun.

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome to the forum @skateguy50. Have you looked into the trade in value of your cars?
It would be a pure on paper number, the truck is probably worth more. I got that rusted out and took the bed off and redid most the rear frame, new fuel lines, all new brake lines, new ebrake cables, ect. Think Kelly Blue book roughly puts the Yaris at $2k and the truck around $5k. So for that might make sense to trade the truck as that would be 100% replaced and keep the little car for longer drives.

· Administrator
2021 Mustang Mach E First Edition, 2016 Nissan Leaf, 2003 Toyota Tacoma, F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
3,090 Posts
An August reservation probably means a 2023 truck. You’ll have plenty of time to see if the new tax credit passes.

· Registered
852 Posts
Been looking at getting something electric for a while and really hoping my reservation in August will get me in before Ford runs out of the 200,000 cap for the larger tax credit. What sold me honestly is the lower price, I have never bought a new car or used car for more than 25k and Tesla's just are not cheap enough for me.

I have owned a ton of vehicles in my life and typically buy used and do all my own repairs, have owned a Chevy Monte Carlo, several chevy and gmc trucks, pontiac gran am, subaru wagon, honda fit, chevy sonic, toyota saquoia, highlander and yaris. My toyota's are more USA built than most Ford's :p

I current drive two vehicles, a 2015 Toyota Yaris with 195,000 miles and 1999 Chevy Silverado with 95,000 miles. I drive a lot for work and need a truck for projects and weekends. I'm hoping the Lightning can replace both these vehicles. I'm not sure what if anything I would get for trade ins so might keep the Yaris for longer trips and replace just the Silverado.

Planning on getting the cheapest down and dirty option they offer, I have a generator and while intrigued with the truck to home option its not worth the upgrade price. I drive less now than I used to, roughly 50 miles each way to office or jobsites and my office has charging stations should I need a top off so the lowest range option would work for my day to day needs. Also live in Massachusetts so while Tesla has the most chargers we have a decent grid here.

The real tipping point for me will be if my August reservation will get me an order in time for the full credit, if Ford sells enough other electric cars or other truck orders before me I miss it I might pass on my order... but if I can get into a new lightning for around $30,000 I will jump at it. Looking at $40k with tax around 42.5, then hopefully infrastructure bill passes and I get an and order in time and get $12.5k in tax credits that would put it down at $30,000.

I used to have full house solar with a 10kwhr system and really miss it and would also likely add solar to our new hours if I get any electric vehicle to off set some of the cost but also know I'm actually reducing emissions with my charging coming from the sun.
Welcome @skateguy50! A 1999 Silverados with 95,000 is pretty good how long have you had it for? What sold you on reserving a Lightning?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.