Ford Lightning Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hoping to get to order soon. One of my decisions is whether to get the all-terrain tires or stay with the all-season. I would like the AT for better gripping and off road capability, but I have heard with how quite the EV rides and no traditional motor noise to drown them out, that the AT tires can be very loud. Does anyone have any experience or thoughts on this? Appreciated!

·
Registered
Model 3 AWD, Lightning Lariat on order
87 Posts
I plan on ordering the AT. These lines all become blurred when you go EV, but it is still a truck, I need a tire to use it like a truck once in a while at least. I'm guessing a good majority of us will drive/use these like cars everyday - little hauling, almost no towing, never leave the blacktop.

I've driven a Model 3 for 3 years and love the car, but my number one complaint on that first year model is road noise. They've improved it since then and I don't want to unnecessarily add to the road noise, but if I'm going back to a truck, I want to be able to use it as a truck once in a while and when I leave the blacktop I want a little grip and a usable tire.

I don't believe exact mileage has been released yet and most note the 300 mi range was with 10K pounds (I've not verified that) but I would like to know the range impact from one tire over the other. My gut tells me if they are not quiet or they really kill range they could always be sold for a reasonable price.

·
Registered
Model 3 AWD, Lightning Lariat on order
87 Posts
My guess is they are not going to be a tire you already know of today. They've likely just been engineered/built for Ford or for an EV. Likely not as aggressive as we would like. Part of an EV is that rolling resistance that is critical. So it will be 3 to 5 years before we truly find good options or competition to which ever tire Ford has sourced.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I ordered ATs for my truck. The winter months up northern NY are Tough.
I think the sound system on the Lariet should take care of the road noise if any.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Looks like these ATs are from a Lightning wheel? If so, these have pretty non aggressive tread and would probably not be much of a noise concern on the road. At this point I'm leaning towards opting for the ATs when I get the chance to order. Thanks for the pics.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Looks like these ATs are from a Lightning wheel? If so, these have pretty non aggressive tread and would probably not be much of a noise concern on the road. At this point I'm leaning towards opting for the ATs when I get the chance to order. Thanks for the pics.
Yup there were taken from one of the Lightning prototypes. They're likely for getting the most range as possible.

·
Registered
14 Posts
In a couple years I'm willing to bet that some major tire manufacturers come out with a TRUE all terrain tire for evs. The at tires ford is putting on these trucks really shouldn't be call all terrain. I feel like they are more like an aggressive all season.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Since that's a prototype, sounds like it's anyone's guess how aggressive the tread will be on the Lightning ATs optioned at $150 extra. We probably won't know until deliveries start to happen.

·
Registered
20 Posts
In a couple years I'm willing to bet that some major tire manufacturers come out with a TRUE all terrain tire for evs. The at tires ford is putting on these trucks really shouldn't be call all terrain. I feel like they are more like an aggressive all season.
Exactly

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So the question becomes is it worth the $150 option for possibly pseudo ATs or better to stick with the cheaper ASs for now.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I’m wondering how many people will change tires to something narrower like a 255/70R18 in the name of reducing rolling resistance.

·
Registered
41 Posts
OE tires appear to be 116T which is 2756# per tire, maybe the trucks will be delivered with something else. Generally the heavier the load rating the heavier the tire, so I do’t think they will go beyond 116.
Font Screenshot Number Rectangle Pattern

1 - 15 of 15 Posts