⚡ Ford Lightning Forum ⚡ banner

What percentage are you charging to for routine, overnight charging?

• 90%

Votes: 23 46.0%
  • 80%

Votes: 14 28.0%
  • Other

Votes: 13 26.0%
21 - 25 of 25 Posts

· Registered
2023 XLT SR Carbonized Grey, Nissan Leaf, Honda Clarity
88 Posts
Okay, had my '23 Lightning Lariat ER for a little over two weeks now. It default charges to 100% every time I plug in. I'll normally only plug in when it's below 40-50% or if I know I'll be driving a lot yesterday.

So, question, how do I make the default setting 90%? Or do I need to set the charge to 90% manually every time I plug it in?
After you charge or plug in at a place (your home), you can add a charging location in the charging settings. For each charging location you can set max percent and departure time if desired.

· Registered
73 Posts
What Darren Palmer is seeming to imply is that even if the charge is showing to 100%, it's not really 100% of battery capacity. And I bet 0% really isn't zero percent of battery capacity if it's "totally drained." So, I bet charging to 100% really isn't stressing the battery that much for Ford to stand behind it's 8yr/100k battery warranty. Also, what about people who are draining or using the battery on a regular basis to charge their house, jobsites, etc.? Guessing the 8yr/100k warranty applies there as well even if people use the heck out of the batteries.

I'll still set up a charging location and play around with the 90% charge, but I doubt I'm causing battery damage charging to 100% a few times a week when I plug it into my FCSP.

· Registered
2023 Ford Lightning ER Lariat
27 Posts
I'm not sure what you're trying to say about nuance nor what the reference to a 75 IQ is. I'm also not sure what the attraction is to charging to 100% every day is if you don't need the range. It's kind of like topping off your tank at a gas station in an ICE every day with a 10-mile commute.
Thank you though the nuance is just Cold Weather Charging like 20F outside or in a garage - then Ford Tech (and manuals & videos) recommended leaving it plugged in - so I do that in my garage and it creeps up to 100% since even Level 1 goes to 100% if I don't drive for 2-3 days. The speed of the charge is a battery issue of course. I'm open to science & Ford Tech that states otherwise for the Cold Weather Charge - the other 80-90% charges I support and use. I could set it to Cold Weather 85% in my garage but the 3 miles/hour creep seems easy on the battery so why bother?

· Registered
20 Posts
I use Level 1 to charge it 100% in the winter - 30F garage temp - level 1 is just 3m/hour so keeps the battery warm with almost no electrical use - that's what my dealer okays as a procedure - anyone adverse to that?
Your dealer sounds as clueless as mine. Thus is BEV environment is a whole new experience, but b/c I've owned a Tesla for a year, I've learned a bit. Batteries last longer if they are not charged to the max. That is why software at charging stations reduce the rate of charge above, say, 90%. If one wants to maximize battery life, it's smart to avoid full charging (though at Level 1 it's probably not a bid deal).

I increase the extent of charge if I'm going to be driving a lot, but otherwise keep it at 90%. I am NOT an expert.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts