⚡ Ford Lightning Forum ⚡ banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
The clear answer here: the max tow package doubles the cooling in the motors and the battery.
The importance of this cannot be overstated, even if you don't plan to tow! Fast charging creates heat, and thermal bottlenecks are a huge deal in performance and charging speeds. It is a problem that has not been solved fully in the Mach E, and even Tesla's stout thermal management systems can get overwhelmed and cause charging slowdown. Double the cooling? YES PLEASE!!

·
Registered
Model 3 AWD, Lightning Lariat on order
494 Posts
The importance of this cannot be overstated, even if you don't plan to tow! Fast charging creates heat, and thermal bottlenecks are a huge deal in performance and charging speeds. It is a problem that has not been solved fully in the Mach E, and even Tesla's stout thermal management systems can get overwhelmed and cause charging slowdown. Double the cooling? YES PLEASE!!
This was the whole reason I added the package. I'm very afraid of Ford's battery only cooling from the sides. Tesla cools all through the battery and it can still be challenging.

I'll likely tow with my truck exactly once - My brother and his boys can't wait to hook it up and see how it will pull a loaded stock trailer. lol

·
Registered
365 Posts
I look forward to getting mine this summer so I can put her through the tow challenge, it will be a repetitive route in various phases of summer & fall, I hope to gather useful data and learn the limitations of my range and plan juice stops at optimal times.

·
Registered
PRO Iced Blue Silver - Tow Tech, Max Tow, 9.6kw ProPower
189 Posts
same here - I've got two boys at colleges in far N Georgia(Young Harris College) and far N Alabama(University of Alabama in Huntsville) where we like to visit several times each year, from west central Georgia - each about 300 miles away, each, and thru the mountains between the two, another 200+ miles.
Georgia has an expanding GeorgiaPower&Chargpoint DC Fast Charger network in some great areas in our pathways - such as Columbus, GA at Burger King, Lagrange, GA at ChicFilA, Emerson, GA at ChicFilA, Ellijay, GA at their Chamber of Commerce(near WaffleHouse and BurgerKing), etc.
ElectrifyAmerica has an expanding network with a row of pumps in Kennesaw, GA, a station at Walmart in Oxford, AL, and several in Ooltewah, TN(Chattanooga area) between the two boys.

We'll be towing our 2,500 lb Casita 17' Liberty Deluxe single-axle fiberglass camper, so we'll get some really good 'real world' towing experience along the way, and with the Tow Technology package and the Max Towing package. I don't plan on waiting until I'm at 0 battery power to hit a DC Fast Charger, but we'll also be able to Level 2 slow charge overnights at the campground, and at each boy's own camper lot, since they both live 'off campus' in their own Camper on a private 1 acre lot, in residential neighborhoods. Sweet. With the Pro Power Onboard we'll also have little need for 'lectricity' wherever we stop. Coming from owning and traveling in a large diesel pusher motorhome over 6 years and 110,000 miles across the country, Canada, and even Alaska, having 'easy to use' electrical power for the camper will make traveling a breeze.

Our 'round trip' for the journey should be close to 1,000 miles, including the beautiful BlackRockMountain state park campground, in MountainCity, GA, the highest state park in the state. We may even hit Cloudland Canyon state park campground in RisingFawn, GA, with almost the same elevation, or even CherokeeRock Village campground, Leesburg, AL. These will 'test' the truck and it's pulling power since all have very steep entrances to and into the parks. There will also be a good mix of high-speed interstates and regular speed roads along the way. We may also overnight at AmicalolaFalls state park campground, where there is an infamous 2 mile drive up the 25% grade road....no worries!

·
Administrator
2021 Mustang Mach E First Edition, 2016 Nissan Leaf, 2003 Toyota Tacoma, F-150 Lightning reserved
1,665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
same here - I've got two boys at colleges in far N Georgia(Young Harris College) and far N Alabama(University of Alabama in Huntsville) where we like to visit several times each year, from west central Georgia - each about 300 miles away, each, and thru the mountains between the two, another 200+ miles.
Georgia has an expanding GeorgiaPower&Chargpoint DC Fast Charger network in some great areas in our pathways - such as Columbus, GA at Burger King, Lagrange, GA at ChicFilA, Emerson, GA at ChicFilA, Ellijay, GA at their Chamber of Commerce(near WaffleHouse and BurgerKing), etc.
ElectrifyAmerica has an expanding network with a row of pumps in Kennesaw, GA, a station at Walmart in Oxford, AL, and several in Ooltewah, TN(Chattanooga area) between the two boys.

We'll be towing our 2,500 lb Casita 17' Liberty Deluxe single-axle fiberglass camper, so we'll get some really good 'real world' towing experience along the way, and with the Tow Technology package and the Max Towing package. I don't plan on waiting until I'm at 0 battery power to hit a DC Fast Charger, but we'll also be able to Level 2 slow charge overnights at the campground, and at each boy's own camper lot, since they both live 'off campus' in their own Camper on a private 1 acre lot, in residential neighborhoods. Sweet. With the Pro Power Onboard we'll also have little need for 'lectricity' wherever we stop. Coming from owning and traveling in a large diesel pusher motorhome over 6 years and 110,000 miles across the country, Canada, and even Alaska, having 'easy to use' electrical power for the camper will make traveling a breeze.

Our 'round trip' for the journey should be close to 1,000 miles, including the beautiful BlackRockMountain state park campground, in MountainCity, GA, the highest state park in the state. We may even hit Cloudland Canyon state park campground in RisingFawn, GA, with almost the same elevation, or even CherokeeRock Village campground, Leesburg, AL. These will 'test' the truck and it's pulling power since all have very steep entrances to and into the parks. There will also be a good mix of high-speed interstates and regular speed roads along the way. We may also overnight at AmicalolaFalls state park campground, where there is an infamous 2 mile drive up the 25% grade road....no worries!
We have a NoBoundaries 19.8. It's a 3800 pound trailer and we are planning to take it on lots of regional trips and across country once the Lightning arrives.

·
Registered
213 Posts
The clear answer here: the max tow package doubles the cooling in the motors and the battery.
Does it add weight and reduce range? I won’t due much if any towing so range is more important. But I might use my 2500 less if the Lightning could handle the load. But that would also put the Lariat over the 80k threshold of the new incentive if it is passed.

·
Administrator
2021 Mustang Mach E First Edition, 2016 Nissan Leaf, 2003 Toyota Tacoma, F-150 Lightning reserved
1,665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Does it add weight and reduce range? I won’t due much if any towing so range is more important. But I might use my 2500 less if the Lightning could handle the load. But that would also put the Lariat over the 80k threshold of the new incentive if it is passed.
They don't say as they didn't have a Lightning without Max Tow to compare. My guess is yes but not much.

How are you pricing out your Lariat? Mine comes in with an MSRP under $80K (remember that you should be checking the Base MSRP before the Destination and Delivery charges).

·
Registered
PRO Iced Blue Silver - Tow Tech, Max Tow, 9.6kw ProPower
189 Posts
I'll be making a test run with my 2,500lb camper when the truck arrives - 100 miles, 95% on 65mph highways, to get a relative 'gauge' as to the battery usage during that tow and how it will affect long-range trips...before we plan the real trip. We'll see how the onboard scales and the 'trip' planner built into the truck will provide feedback relative to the actual miles and KWh usage. This is a relatively 'flat' 100 miles, but there are some good grades and hills sprinkled along the way.

·
Registered
213 Posts
They don't say as they didn't have a Lightning without Max Tow to compare. My guess is yes but not much.

How are you pricing out your Lariat? Mine comes in with an MSRP under $80K (remember that you should be checking the Base MSRP before the Destination and Delivery charges).
When I build it the MSRP includes Destination and Delivery. Does the potential incentive say it excludes it?
Extra cooling seams like a no brained for the price.

·
Administrator
1,665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
When I build it the MSRP includes Destination and Delivery. Does the potential incentive say it excludes it?
When you order, the sheet comes out with Base MSRP, options, D&D, then final MSRP. My price without D&D is under $80K with ER battery and Max Tow package. With D&D it is just over MSRP.

Reactions: CDT

·
Registered
365 Posts
Honestly, just my opinion, but do not count on the BBB incentive coming out of Congress anytime soon, they are barely able to get out of their way to pass a THIRD continuing resolution my midnight Friday2/18.

They are punting the ball 21 days to 3/11, then rinse, wash & repeat .....

Nothing barely useful is going to happen in Congress until after 11/8/2022

And nothing until after the 118th Congress is seated in January 2023

--------

Start making your plans to buy under the current conditions

Reactions: CDT and TeslaDriver

·
Administrator
1,665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Honestly, just my opinion, but do not count on the BBB incentive coming out of Congress anytime soon, they are barely able to get out of their way to pass a THIRD continuing resolution my midnight Friday2/18.

And substantively production after the 118th Congress is seated in January 2023

--------

My purchase plans are based on the $7500 tax credit that exists now.

·
Registered
640 Posts

And substantively production after the 118th Congress is seated in January 2023

--------

pfft, can't even get the one from my state cause it isn't funded (I'm assuming).

• Sad
Reactions: taxmanhog

·
Administrator
1,665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
In Kyle Connor's inspection of the video screens, he says the Max Tow Package adds another cooling loop, effectively doubling cooling capability.

·
Administrator
1,665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The price of the Max Tow Package just went down from $865 to $825 in the Build & Price tool, probably to keep the MSRP of a Lariat ER with Max Tow under the $80K limit in case BBB or part of it passes. Hopefully they'll be adjusting existing orders down, too.

·
Registered
494 Posts
In Kyle Connor's inspection of the video screens, he says the Max Tow Package adds another cooling loop, effectively doubling cooling capability.
I like Kyle's style and I do know they get a lot of info, but I wish they would quote some of their sources sometimes. It is noted by Ford the battery is cooled from the outside. I'm afraid that leaves a lot of interior heat build up. I'm hoping this new loop is through the battery in some manner, vs a second loop around the outside.

Reactions: TeslaDriver

·
Administrator
1,665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I like Kyle's style and I do know they get a lot of info, but I wish they would quote some of their sources sometimes. It is noted by Ford the battery is cooled from the outside. I'm afraid that leaves a lot of interior heat build up. I'm hoping this new loop is through the battery in some manner, vs a second loop around the outside.
Since a cooling loop through the battery would probably require a different battery module, I'm guessing it's an outside loop.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Since a cooling loop through the battery would probably require a different battery module, I'm guessing it's an outside loop.
Was maybe just hoping that had already planned for this and that space/plumbing was already included. I'll be sure to note as well I don't have any knowledge this cooling won't be enough, it just logically worries me some knowing how others go so far above and beyond to add much more cooling. I'm starting to see some don't like a comparison to other brands, but I think it behooves us to not turn our head to the gold standard that seems to have been set.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts