⚡ Ford Lightning Forum ⚡ banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

· Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, as I've said many times, reserved about 9:30 central on May 20.....and have gotten nothing from Ford other than false hope. Is it time to let go of my optimism of getting in on MY22? Major bummer for me as my 2008 Ford F150 King Ranch is on its last legs.....

· Administrator
2021 Mustang Mach E First Edition, 2016 Nissan Leaf, 2003 Toyota Tacoma, F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
3,089 Posts
There are still Lariats and Platinums available. I wouldn’t give up hope yet if I were you.

· Registered
61 Posts
I also got my confirmation at 9:00 am on 5/20. I figure those in the same boat are right on the bubble of getting a 22 model year. But no matter what happens my place in the "que" won't change. I'll be just as happy with having one of the first 2023's. There probably will be some different choices with colors, trim, etc. In any case when I made my reservation I figured it would be late summer or fall before I got one so right now Ford is meeting my expectations.

· Administrator
2021 Mustang Mach E First Edition, 2016 Nissan Leaf, 2003 Toyota Tacoma, F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
3,089 Posts

· Registered
58 Posts
I'll throw in my WAG that everybody that ordered on 5/19 has an opportunity for a calendar year 2022 delivery, even though it might be on Dec 31. The bad news is the full tax credit starts evaporating in the 4th Qtr. That's assuming Ford manages deliveries of its EV so the 200K hits in the 3rd Qtr.
Edit: 2nd QTR after the QTR the manufacturer delivers the 200,000th EV.

· Administrator
3,089 Posts
I'll throw in my WAG that everybody that ordered on 5/19 has an opportunity for a calendar year 2022 delivery, even though it might be on Dec 31. The bad news is the full tax credit starts evaporating in the 4th Qtr. That's assuming Ford manages deliveries of its EV so the 200K hits in the 3rd Qtr.
If Ford hits 200,000 in the 3rd quarter, the full $7,500 stays in place through Q4.

· Registered
105 Posts
Doesn't the phase out start the second calendar quarter after the calendar quarter reach the magic number. So if 200k is reached in q3 2022, phase out start q1 2023 (3750 for q1, q2) then q3 and q4 the credit would be 1875. Then q1 2024 there would be no credit. I wonder if they think they will reach their number early in q3 or late. It would be a bummer to have your order delayed, but if it's mid September and they are at 197xxx, would they delay deliveries to hit the number in q4 thereby getting a bunch of 2023 orders in before the phase out starts.

· Registered
Model 3 AWD, Lightning Lariat on order
630 Posts
Doesn't the phase out start the second calendar quarter after the calendar quarter reach the magic number. So if 200k is reached in q3 2022, phase out start q1 2023 (3750 for q1, q2) then q3 and q4 the credit would be 1875. Then q1 2024 there would be no credit. I wonder if they think they will reach their number early in q3 or late. It would be a bummer to have your order delayed, but if it's mid September and they are at 197xxx, would they delay deliveries to hit the number in q4 thereby getting a bunch of 2023 orders in before the phase out starts.
If they were respectable they should. Those two more quarters to extend the rebate when we hope that production is higher would go a long ways for people.

Reactions: null98115

· Registered
105 Posts
If they were respectable they should. Those two more quarters to extend the rebate when we hope that production is higher would go a long ways for people.
We purchased a Chevy bolt 4 days before the phase out started for GM. It certainly influenced the timing of our transaction. I hope that the will do what is best for the most people and that they are transparent about it. If on the other hand they are at 197xxx on July 30th a two month hold is too much.

· Registered
Model 3 AWD, Lightning Lariat on order
630 Posts
We purchased a Chevy bolt 4 days before the phase out started for GM. It certainly influenced the timing of our transaction. I hope that the will do what is best for the most people and that they are transparent about it. If on the other hand they are at 197xxx on July 30th a two month hold is too much.
Correct - we can truly only expect so much, but depending on where they are (and they will know exactly how many trucks they are going to build each week) they could stop US deliveries and send 3,000 to Canada. If they just take a look at it and consider it they can play this game for all of us.

Reactions: null98115

· Administrator
3,089 Posts
From How The Federal Electric Vehicle (EV) Tax Credit Works – EVAdoption
“The federal tax credit is phased out over time beginning the second quarter AFTER the quarter in which a manufacturer reaches a total of 200,000 BEV or PHEV vehicles sold since 2010. Here is how the phase out works:
  • The full amount of the EV qualifying tax credit is in place DURING the entire calendar quarter in which 200,000 EVs are sold by a manufacturer, AND through the subsequent quarter.
  • Then the tax credit amount is reduced by 50% for the next 2 quarters.
  • The credit is reduced again to 25% of the original amount for the subsequent 2 quarters.
  • At that point the credit expires completely.”

· Registered
231 Posts
From How The Federal Electric Vehicle (EV) Tax Credit Works – EVAdoption
“The federal tax credit is phased out over time beginning the second quarter AFTER the quarter in which a manufacturer reaches a total of 200,000 BEV or PHEV vehicles sold since 2010. Here is how the phase out works:
  • The full amount of the EV qualifying tax credit is in place DURING the entire calendar quarter in which 200,000 EVs are sold by a manufacturer, AND through the subsequent quarter.
  • Then the tax credit amount is reduced by 50% for the next 2 quarters.
  • The credit is reduced again to 25% of the original amount for the subsequent 2 quarters.
  • At that point the credit expires completely.”
The emphasis on manufacturer not model here.

· Registered
18 Posts
If I read this thread correctly, deferring your reservation to purchase an XLT (my choice) vs. upgrading immediately to a Lariat could mean the difference between getting the $7500 tax benefit and not getting it - esp. since there's no way of knowing when the deferred reservation will turn into an actual reservation. That's just terrible execution on Ford's part.

· Registered
105 Posts
If we knew that MSRP would be reduced as the tax credit phased out then this wouldn't be a problem. However, when the tax credit phases out and ends, if there is no reduction in price and potentially an increase in price for the new model year this could get pretty ugly. I always thought that the tax credit should either not exist or it should be industry wide with rules stating when 2 million, 5 million 10 million (pick a number) eligible vehicles are sold the credit will phase out for all manufacturers. This would have encouraged all manufacturers to produce/innovate as rapidly as they could. If they wanted their customers to get a benefit, then they would produce a product. Now that prices have come down through innovation and economies of scale (Tesla/GM doing the heavy lifting so to speak in the US) the other manufacturers get that benefit AND the tax credit. However, those are the rules and changing in the middle of the game is not fair to anyone.

· Administrator
3,089 Posts
If I read this thread correctly, deferring your reservation to purchase an XLT (my choice) vs. upgrading immediately to a Lariat could mean the difference between getting the $7500 tax benefit and not getting it - esp. since there's no way of knowing when the deferred reservation will turn into an actual reservation. That's just terrible execution on Ford's part.
It's not terrible execution, it's the reality of supply chains. Ford had to make a call early on regarding how many of each component they ordered. While they can shift some orders on the fly, others have to be made well in advance. Then there's the whole supply chain foulup.

The good news is Ford is being more aggressive at electrification than any other major automaker.
The bad news is they still underestimated demand and are making up for it.

Remember also that Ford was really hoping BBB would pass, eliminating the 200,000 vehicle cap before they reached it. They were even actively and publicly supporting BBB. If two Democratic Senators hadn't blocked BBB, the cap wouldn't be an issue.

Unless you have a much clearer crystal ball than Ford does, judging their planning "terrible" might not be quite fair.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.