Ford Lightning Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Am Recalling correctly that the targeted EPA range for platinum is going to be 20miles LESS at 280due to extra weight?
I don’t love the idea of paying 10k extra for less range and frankly there’s little on the platinum I care about. I like the gray vs black interior (I live in the hot south) and that’s it really.
Don’t care about moving running board, massage seats, or 22” wheels which my understanding is are the only other upgrades above a loaded lariat.
Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Yes you are correct. The platinum trim has estimated 280 miles of range. Like you said, one of the main reasons I went for lariat+. Not interested in paying more for less range.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I'm assuming the range difference has to do with the wheels. If you go to Tesla's site and pick between different wheel sizes the range changes.

The massage seats are heavier (I would assume) but I wouldn't think that much heavier.

·
Registered
51 Posts
My initial want was the platinum and when I realized the range was lower and assuming it is because of the tires; I contemplated just buying a second set of wheels that are the same size as the Lariat for longer trips.

But I don't have the room in my garage for that.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Am Recalling correctly that the targeted EPA range for platinum is going to be 20miles LESS at 280due to extra weight?
It is very likely the wheels and the higher rotational mass that is negatively affecting range. Tesla have a similar loss of range with bigger ties. 18 to 19 inch is about 4-5%, the 20 inch is about 12-15%.

I think all-terrain tires will slaughter range. Guessing all-season tires with a lot of sidewall at very high PSI will be the sweet spot for efficiency (even if they look pretty lame).

·
Registered
22 Posts
It is very likely the wheels and the higher rotational mass that is negatively affecting range. Tesla have a similar loss of range with bigger ties. 18 to 19 inch is about 4-5%, the 20 inch is about 12-15%.

I think all-terrain tires will slaughter range. Guessing all-season tires with a lot of sidewall at very high PSI will be the sweet spot for efficiency (even if they look pretty lame).
Some smooth 255/70R18 should fit the bill.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Just some numbers on Ford's estimated range based on your driving system.

I have a Mach E and today was a particularly long drive day for me. Mach E is garage kept and the temp this morning around 5:30am was in the low to mid 30s. I was at 95% with estimated 150 miles. Today I was going to work, my mom's and then back home. At work the car sat outside in the cold. The temp by mid day was about 44 degrees.

The three legs of the trip; 1) to work - 44 miles, 2) to my mom's 30.4, 3) back home 70.7. This all totals to 145.1 miles. When I pulled in and parked, I was at 19% battery with 33 miles left.

I thought I was going to need to stop at a charger on the way back but if I behaved myself I was able to make it all work. Which that is a key point, if you aren't flooring it a bunch or driving too fast, your range numbers will adjust. Not much different from a gas powered car.

I used ACC for about 90% of the day. I never went more than 70 mph. The first trip I used the heat but by mid day it was warm enough that I never turned it back on. I think I used the heated steering wheel the majority of the time.

My Mach E is the standard battery and during the summer the most I saw it estimate was 240 miles. I'm mentioning this because the standard battery of the Lightning being 230. Ford estimates the standard AWD Mach E at 224 miles.

I personally wanted the extended range on the Mach E but my wife (since this is her commuter car) didn't want to spend the extra money. The Lightning will be my commuter and I will have more days like this (my sister is farther than my mom) and so it is the Lariat Extended Range for me. I would like the Platinum but I want that extra bit of range and I don't want to change the wheels out to get it.

I have been more and more on Ford's side with these EVs because I truely do feel like they are underestimating and over delivering. (however it goes). Instead of talking and charming everyone else and constantly not delivering like Tesla. (how many years now promising self driving (and isn't even the best system in the industry) and constantly raising the price?)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Just some numbers on Ford's estimated range based on your driving system.

I have a Mach E and today was a particularly long drive day for me. Mach E is garage kept and the temp this morning around 5:30am was in the low to mid 30s. I was at 95% with estimated 150 miles. Today I was going to work, my mom's and then back home. At work the car sat outside in the cold. The temp by mid day was about 44 degrees.

The three legs of the trip; 1) to work - 44 miles, 2) to my mom's 30.4, 3) back home 70.7. This all totals to 145.1 miles. When I pulled in and parked, I was at 19% battery with 33 miles left.

I thought I was going to need to stop at a charger on the way back but if I behaved myself I was able to make it all work. Which that is a key point, if you aren't flooring it a bunch or driving too fast, your range numbers will adjust. Not much different from a gas powered car.

I used ACC for about 90% of the day. I never went more than 70 mph. The first trip I used the heat but by mid day it was warm enough that I never turned it back on. I think I used the heated steering wheel the majority of the time.

My Mach E is the standard battery and during the summer the most I saw it estimate was 240 miles. I'm mentioning this because the standard battery of the Lightning being 230. Ford estimates the standard AWD Mach E at 224 miles.

I personally wanted the extended range on the Mach E but my wife (since this is her commuter car) didn't want to spend the extra money. The Lightning will be my commuter and I will have more days like this (my sister is farther than my mom) and so it is the Lariat Extended Range for me. I would like the Platinum but I want that extra bit of range and I don't want to change the wheels out to get it.

I have been more and more on Ford's side with these EVs because I truely do feel like they are underestimating and over delivering. (however it goes). Instead of talking and charming everyone else and constantly not delivering like Tesla. (how many years now promising self driving (and isn't even the best system in the industry) and constantly raising the price?)
Thanks @FM_Jack - this is helpful to soon-to-be EV owners. Question for you, you mentioned that you didn't have it plugged in during the day and it was still sub 45 degrees or so. Is there any warming of the battery during driving? I suppose not because it's not an ICE but unless the ambient temperature warms, the battery won't warm either right?

In other words, do we have to discard the thinking that you can warm up the battery by driving like we do today with traditional combustion engines?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Thanks @FM_Jack - this is helpful to soon-to-be EV owners. Question for you, you mentioned that you didn't have it plugged in during the day and it was still sub 45 degrees or so. Is there any warming of the battery during driving? I suppose not because it's not an ICE but unless the ambient temperature warms, the battery won't warm either right?

In other words, do we have to discard the thinking that you can warm up the battery by driving like we do today with traditional combustion engines?
Before I left in the morning, I try to remote start it while still plugged in to "pre-condition". This is to warm up the car with the heat on. This is supposed to help warm the battery so you can get more out of it. I did do it, but the heat wasn't on (which is why I complained in another post about not being able to control the temperature from the phone and wishing Ford would update that sooner. Especially cause I won't have the truck in the garage that much).

I didn't have the mach e plugged in any other time during the day.

·
Registered
Model 3 AWD, Lightning Lariat on order
40 Posts

The early Model S (Tesla) had dedicated battery heaters. In the 3 and Y they have their octovalve and other technology that will route heat through the battery, so the battery can be heated. We hope that Ford has implemented something similar.

By nature a cold battery has energy you can't get to, as it warms it some of that energy will come back. Just driving alone will warm the battery as the electrons start to move. We hope that there is some other heat directed into the battery from the truck to keep it working optimally.

Another key to Tesla and battery temps, if you are on a trip and need to Supercharge, as long as the navigation knows you are headed to the SC, the car will direct extra heat into the battery to get it warm/hot and prepare for the charging. This will make your charging session faster. Yes it uses energy to do that, but it factors all of that into your mileage and distance to the SC.

Edit - adding a link to Tesla v3 SC - notes and talks about the battery warm up by the car to prepare for the charge - Introducing V3 Supercharging

1 - 10 of 10 Posts