⚡ Ford Lightning Forum ⚡ banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the best system for a back-up camera on our trailer? We are buying a new/lighter trailer that has pre-wired power to the rear of the trailer, but are not sure how the camera on the back of the trailer will communicate with the Lightning?

·
Registered
656 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Note: The rear normal view, bed camera
view, hitch view and trailer auxiliary view are
available when your vehicle speed is greater
than 6 mph (10 km/h).

https://www.fordservicecontent.com/...Owners-Manual-version-1_om_EN-USA_03_2022.pdf
page 266
But folks have commented that the auxiliary on Ford's newest camera technology (SYNC 4) does apparently not accept a feed from another camera. The aftermarket camera makers have also confirmed this. They all seem to point us to a separate wireless camera and monitor. This seems ridiculous to me. We've got some time to investigate before our Lightning arrives. It is no help that most of the technology is beyond the dealers.

·
Registered
Model 3 AWD, Lightning Lariat on order
496 Posts
You might check in with the Forscan threads on other forums. There is a lot of functionality you can change under the covers if you are willing. There might be a switch you can flip that would make the camera "on" all the time. They've been able to do this with the other cameras on the truck.

·
Registered
656 Posts
But folks have commented that the auxiliary on Ford's newest camera technology (SYNC 4) does apparently not accept a feed from another camera. The aftermarket camera makers have also confirmed this. They all seem to point us to a separate wireless camera and monitor. This seems ridiculous to me. We've got some time to investigate before our Lightning arrives. It is no help that most of the technology is beyond the dealers.
I only posted this because I couldn't find the video in which people are messing with those cameras. I have a car with SYNC 4a, the Mach E, but the trailer and bed cams are a different utility and I can't believe they wouldn't let you view it. Plenty of offroading situations let you. Maybe when you are normal or sport mode you can't but in tow/trailer mode you can. The problem is finding that video or someone that was at the event confirming.

Otherwise, I don't see the point of doom and glooming about it until the vehicles ship. The manual says you can and either Ford needs to fix that (@Ford Motor Company ) or they can update the software to make sure it can.

·
Administrator
2021 Mustang Mach E First Edition, 2016 Nissan Leaf, 2003 Toyota Tacoma, F-150 Lightning reserved
1,696 Posts
We already have an aftermarket camera on our NoBoundaries travel trailer. It requires a separate monitor. If the Ford unit not only integrates into the Sync 4a but also provides a pseudo-360 around truck and trailer, this might be worth the cost. Fortunately the camera system is a dealer install item. Dealers install the wiring in the truck. May have to get an RV place to install the camera in the trailer (or do it yourself). However, it's a wired system, so it will be a long wire run.

·
Registered
656 Posts
As an update to this, Kyle from Out of Spec released his video of going over the offroad course (little much imo, 20 minutes and others have cut that down and included the rally course which he didn't. going to put it in another video). But he uses the cameras during the ride and noted that going over 5 miles per hour turned them off. Which is disappointing for offroading.

But I'd say they are still using preproduction models and part of me is thinking that if Ford does allow that feature, it'll be in tow mode.

May 24th will be the next stream event to ask questions. I submitted this one. Though I don't know what that really gets you, I'd end up asking again during the live stream.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts