⚡ Ford Lightning Forum ⚡ banner
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Administrator
2021 Mustang Mach E First Edition, 2016 Nissan Leaf, 2003 Toyota Tacoma, F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
1,966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Here are some helpful links for those waiting for production and delivery:
* built from a Bronco site
-------------------------
VIN
Here's a site that allows you to look up your VIN. It was developed by someone for Mach E tracking.

The "Find Your VIN" and "VIN Barcode" portions worked for me. The "VIN Details" does not. That may be because it was written for Mach E and may test the VIN to make sure it is a valid Mach E VIN. Beware, Find Your VIN does require using your browser to pull some JSON data.

If someone wants to grab the code from the developer's GitHub to build a VIN Details code that works for Lightnings, go for it!
--------------------------
Ford site to check on status
https://shop.ford.com/vehicleordertracking#/

Another Window Sticker lookup tool - add your VIN at the end
https://www.windowsticker.forddirect.com/windowsticker.pdf?vin=

To the Ford site that populates your Modules being turned on (this lets you know it’s actually built at the factory)
https://www.motorcraftservice.com/AsBuilt

And lastly to see if it’s scheduled on the Convoy (Truck not Rail) to your Dealer!
https://palsapp.com

If you are going by rail, it’s more complicated…

First you will need the rail car letters and numbers. It is on the visibility report or DORA which is from the dealership. You MAY be able to get it from the SVT people but they seem often in a cranky mood and may tell you to get it from the dealer.

There are two major rail companies.

CSX is everything east of the mississippi
UP is everything west of the mississippi

But they all start out on CSX so once they have it in their system they will follow it all the way.

So, how do you track your truck on a railcar?

First and most important. Never talk to live personnel at the railroad! Only use automated phone system. If it attempts to transfer you to a live person please hang up. The railcar information we are provided by is given as a courtesy and if we call live personnel we may lose the access and ability to track.

CSX
1. Call the CSX 1-800-235-2352
2. When prompted for location or weight, press "1" on your phone for location.
3. When prompted for the car initials, say CN (or whatever initials you have) then wait for the next prompt.
4. When prompted for the car number, say 907048 (or whatever your number is)
5. When prompted for next car say DONE.
6. That's it; enjoy your updated status report.

Union Pacific
1. Call UP at 1 800 877-5123 1 800 877-5123
2. Follow phone prompts for Trace
3. Say the railcar number complete and clearly. Example CN123456 all together
4. Listen for your update

NS Norfolk Southern
1. Call 800-635-5768
2. Press 2.
3. Press 2.
4. Enter the letters on the numeric keypad then press #. As in: TTGX will be 8849
5. Enter the numbers then press #. It wasn't taking my voice prompts but typing worked.

·
Registered
Model 3 AWD, Lightning Lariat on order
547 Posts
This stuff is classic - I was definitely not the first to use it and it looks like you enter letters a little different, but this stuff has lived for many years. My info from back in 2013. I tracked a car for a few days from Mexico to Dallas. Created a map in Google with all of the Waypoints as the train passed through.
Progress on Orders for Fusion Energi and Hybrid Titanium

·
Administrator
2021 Mustang Mach E First Edition, 2016 Nissan Leaf, 2003 Toyota Tacoma, F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
1,966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Here's another site that allows you to look up your VIN. It was developed by someone for Mach E tracking.

The "Find Your VIN" and "VIN Barcode" portions worked for me. The "VIN Details" does not. That may be because it was written for Mach E and may test the VIN to make sure it is a valid Mach E VIN. Beware, Find Your VIN does require using your browser to pull some JSON data.

If someone wants to grab the code from the developer's GitHub to build a VIN Details code that works for Lightnings, go for it!

·
Administrator
1,966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Also, here is the 2022 VIN Guide to understand your VIN.

Attachments

·
Registered
2015 Ford F-150
61 Posts
Also, here is the 2022 VIN Guide to understand your VIN.
Can you give a little help with this chart? With comparing VINs so far, the 4th spot on most is a "6". Mine is a "V" I'm confident that it has to do with having the A/T tires. That will alter capacity or weight but that particular section in the chart you posted doesn't really clear things up.

Reactions: SethH

·
Registered
547 Posts
Can you give a little help with this chart? With comparing VINs so far, the 4th spot on most is a "6". Mine is a "V" I'm confident that it has to do with having the A/T tires. That will alter capacity or weight but that particular section in the chart you posted doesn't really clear things up.
That has to do with restraints, brake system and class. I have a Lariat ER with AT tires and I'm also a V. but I thought most were V's and 6 was more of the exception. We will know more as we get more crowd sourced data.

Reference this chart:

Attachments

·
Registered
2015 Ford F-150
61 Posts
That has to do with restraints, brake system and class. I have a Lariat ER with AT tires and I'm also a V. but I thought most were V's and 6 was more of the exception. We will know more as we get more crowd sourced data.

Reference this chart:
I did. The chart for that character is strange. The "6" and "V" are not even showing in the same Restraint System. What option would change air bags between models? I would assume all Lariat ERs would have the same airbag locations.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Sorry to be obtuse, where are people getting their Vins from? Are you using these programs or did you get them from Ford?
I have not received mine from Ford. I used the documentation to open the "behind the scenes HTML" (inspect) of the web page. I had to keep digging, but it is there as several have noted.

·
Registered
829 Posts
Sorry to be obtuse, where are people getting their Vins from? Are you using these programs or did you get them from Ford?
The link above that Coral posts shows you how to find it

·
Administrator
1,966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Your truck's VIN is assigned when your truck is scheduled. You can learn what your VIN is from your dealer or the tool posted here:
The direct link to that VIN tool is: Ford Mach-E Reservation Details Viewer

·
Registered
Lightning XLT- Wave 2-Build 5/30
26 Posts
So, my Lightning VIN# may look something like this.
MY22 F-150 LIGHTNING XT SR (Wave 2) VIN: 1FT?W1EL?NW######

VIN Positions 1, 2, 3 / 2022 WORLD MANUFACTURER IDENTIFIER/ PASSENGER CARS
1FT Ford Motor Company, USA Truck (Completed Vehicle)

VIN Position 4 / Restraint, Brake System and GVWR Class
? 6 OR V data inconclusive thus far /Truck, Hydraulic, Class G:, 8,501-9,000 lbs./ Manual belts with driver and passenger frontal air bags and side inflatable restraint (1st & 2nd row)

VIN Positions 5, 6, 7 /Line, Series, Chassis, Cab Type or Body Type for Trucks
W1E F-Series F-150 4X4 SuperCrew TrucK

VIN Position 8 /Engine Type-Displacement, Cylinders, Fuel Type, Manufacturer, and Horsepower (H.P.) Ratings
L Dual Electric Motors w/ Standard Range Battery/ Electric/ Ford
V Dual Electric Motors w/ Extended Range Battery/ Electric/ Ford

VIN Position 9 /Check Digit
? The check digit must have a value of 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, or X

VIN Position 10 /Vehicle Model Year
N 2022 Model Year
P 2023 Model Year

VIN Position 11 /Vehicle Assembly Plant
W Rouge Electric: Dearborn, Michigan

VIN Positions 12 through 17 /Sequential Vehicle Identifiers/ Ford Division Vehicles
###### A00001 thru F99999

Reactions: taxmanhog and GDN

·
Registered
547 Posts
So, my Lightning VIN# may look something like this.
MY22 F-150 LIGHTNING XT SR (Wave 2) VIN: 1FT?W1EL?NW######

VIN Positions 1, 2, 3 / 2022 WORLD MANUFACTURER IDENTIFIER/ PASSENGER CARS
1FT Ford Motor Company, USA Truck (Completed Vehicle)

VIN Position 4 / Restraint, Brake System and GVWR Class
? 6 OR V data inconclusive thus far /Truck, Hydraulic, Class G:, 8,501-9,000 lbs./ Manual belts with driver and passenger frontal air bags and side inflatable restraint (1st & 2nd row)

VIN Positions 5, 6, 7 /Line, Series, Chassis, Cab Type or Body Type for Trucks
W1E F-Series F-150 4X4 SuperCrew TrucK

VIN Position 8 /Engine Type-Displacement, Cylinders, Fuel Type, Manufacturer, and Horsepower (H.P.) Ratings
L Dual Electric Motors w/ Standard Range Battery/ Electric/ Ford
V Dual Electric Motors w/ Extended Range Battery/ Electric/ Ford

VIN Position 9 /Check Digit
? The check digit must have a value of 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, or X

VIN Position 10 /Vehicle Model Year
N 2022 Model Year
P 2023 Model Year

VIN Position 11 /Vehicle Assembly Plant
W Rouge Electric: Dearborn, Michigan

VIN Positions 12 through 17 /Sequential Vehicle Identifiers/ Ford Division Vehicles
###### A00001 thru F99999
Thanks for pulling those sections out of the VIN guide, makes it easier. While Position 4 is still being figured out, the other interesting part is the last - the guide doesn't show GXXXXX, but all of these trucks start with G. Nothing major at all, but interesting it isn't listed. Maybe a late addition.

·
Registered
2018 Ford Mustang GT Premium, 10 speed auto, Roush supercharged
83 Posts
Ugh. All the work arounds to get the VIN and I still have to bug the dealer for an additional 4-Digit order #? That sucks.
I used the order number that appears on my Lightning order page of the owner.ford.com web site. It worked like a champ. The number is an 8-digit number.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts