⚡ Ford Lightning Forum ⚡ banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

· Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had an F150 for about 10 years now, not going back to a sedan. I own a machine shop and fabrication factuality , so I am regularly tossing large awkward things in the back of the truck.
I have always liked the idea of the tonneau , keep things sleek and covered, but I fear the hot tub lid situation, where you have to manipulate and store some big flap panel thing. What say you guys about tonneaus and their actual use age. Is it a pain in the ass? Do you guys have the roll up version or the pop up lid? Talk to me

· Registered
11 Posts
I have had an F150 for about 10 years now, not going back to a sedan. I own a machine shop and fabrication factuality , so I am regularly tossing large awkward things in the back of the truck.
I have always liked the idea of the tonneau , keep things sleek and covered, but I fear the hot tub lid situation, where you have to manipulate and store some big flap panel thing. What say you guys about tonneaus and their actual use age. Is it a pain in the ass? Do you guys have the roll up version or the pop up lid? Talk to me
I like the Tonneau ,I use the Tri-Fold soft cover

· Registered
2018 Ford Mustang GT Premium, 10 speed auto, Roush supercharged
105 Posts
I am currently driving my third Ford F-150. All three have had hard panel Undercover bed covers. The first one was for my 1998 F-150. It was one piece. It was hinged behind the cab and lifted from the tail gate. It was supported in the open position by struts. It was lockable, lightweight but strong, removable, and easy to use. The next two Undercover bed covers were used on my 2016 and 2020 F-150s. Both were sectioned, folding, and locked without a key. The Undercover Flex is on my 2020 F-150, and I am very pleased with it. Soon after my 2022 Lightning arrives, I will visit my nearby H&H store and ask them to install an Undercover hard bed cover on it. I may even ask H&H to blow in a bed liner. Cheers.

· Registered
2015 Ford F-150
61 Posts
I have had a Peragon cover for the last 7 years and I'm still a fan. Quick and easy way to open and close. I'm probably going to get a new one for the lightning. I am used to a 6 1/2 foot bed. I like the idea of the hard roll top covers the most but you lose a chunk of bed space towards the cab. With the Peragon, if you really need the full length of the bed you can take it completely out. With the the shorter bed I think I have to go this route again.

· Registered
105 Posts
I have had a Peragon cover for the last 7 years and I'm still a fan. Quick and easy way to open and close. I'm probably going to get a new one for the lightning. I am used to a 6 1/2 foot bed. I like the idea of the hard roll top covers the most but you lose a chunk of bed space towards the cab. With the Peragon, if you really need the full length of the bed you can take it completely out. With the the shorter bed I think I have to go this route again.
I just checked the Peragon website and shopped for a 2022 F-150. The resulting bed cover is indeed a good-looking cover and appears to be very versatile. You made a good choice!

· Registered
Lightning XLT- Wave 2-Build 5/30
26 Posts
The latest BAK Revolver X4S version has fixed the design issues with the earlier models.

· Registered
2022 XLT standard range, ordered Feb 1st 2022
24 Posts
I've been super happy with an Extang trifold rigid cover on my 2014 Silverado work truck. 300 lb capacity so you can walk on it if need be. If you need full capacity right to the cab, just undo two large wing nuts and stand it up or remove altogether. I'll be looking for the same product for my Lightning XLT once it delivers.

I'm a contractor so this truck works a lot. The rigid tonneau is great for carrying wider items like French doors that don't fit between the wheel arches.

· Administrator
2021 Mustang Mach E First Edition, 2016 Nissan Leaf, 2003 Toyota Tacoma, F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
3,088 Posts
I've been super happy with an Extang trifold rigid cover on my 2014 Silverado work truck. 300 lb capacity so you can walk on it if need be. If you need full capacity right to the cab, just undo two large wing nuts and stand it up or remove altogether. I'll be looking for the same product for my Lightning XLT once it delivers.

I'm a contractor so this truck works a lot. The rigid tonneau is great for carrying wider items like French doors that don't fit between the wheel arches.
Which Extang tri-fold do you have?
Is it the Solid Fold (standard fold to front)

or the Encore (standard fold to front, also folds backwards to access cab end)

I've been seriously considering the Encore for my Lightning.

· Registered
Model 3 AWD, Lightning Lariat on order
630 Posts
I've never put a bed cover on a truck, but knowing wind, etc I may have to consider it with this one. I had no idea that you'd need to start with at least a grand to get one of these newer styles.

Thanks everyone for sharing, I really like that BAK revolver X4S for it's looks and simplicity. I'll have to investigate as I don't recall immediately seeing how much weight it can actually support.

· Administrator
2021 Mustang Mach E First Edition, 2016 Nissan Leaf, 2003 Toyota Tacoma, F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
3,088 Posts
I've never put a bed cover on a truck, but knowing wind, etc I may have to consider it with this one. I had no idea that you'd need to start with at least a grand to get one of these newer styles.

Thanks everyone for sharing, I really like that BAK revolver X4S for it's looks and simplicity. I'll have to investigate as I don't recall immediately seeing how much weight it can actually support.
There are cheap tonneaus for only a few hundred dollars.

Reactions: GDN

· Registered
231 Posts

Does anyone with an ICE F-150 have any MPG numbers on the increase when adding a tonneau? I am curious if it is worth considering for the Lightning and impact to range.

· Registered
105 Posts
Does anyone with an ICE F-150 have any MPG numbers on the increase when adding a tonneau? I am curious if it is worth considering for the Lightning and impact to range.
I am currently running my third hard bed cover. All three were made by Undercover and were used on F-150s. My first F-150 had a full sized 8 foot bed, and the last two were used on the shorter 5.5 foot bed. I never made any attempt to determine if the bed covers had any impact on my gas mileage. Don't care. That was not why I bought the bed covers. In my view, a bed cover makes the truck look better, and it certainly hides whatever ugly stuff you may be hauling in the bed. A determined thief would have no problem forcing a bed cover open, but I believe a thief will concentrate on stealing what he can see and snatch with a minimum of effort. Cheers.

· Registered
988 Posts
A lot of options to checkout. Thanks for the tips. I definitely want tri-fold hard cover.

Reactions: ChasingCoral

· Registered
2022 XLT standard range, ordered Feb 1st 2022
24 Posts
Which Extang tri-fold do you have?
Is it the Solid Fold (standard fold to front)

or the Encore (standard fold to front, also folds backwards to access cab end)

I've been seriously considering the Encore for my Lightning.
Standard fold to front. I can report that they're tough enough to withstand all the abuse of construction use. The hinge system must be really well made. They're heavy and hard to handle if removed, the trick is to stand it up against the rack and strap in place until the big load is removed.

· Registered
171 Posts
Is there really a difference between a 2021 or 2022 cover and a 2018 cover as long as it’s for the 5.5 bed?
Seems more like a marketing ploy to get you to buy a new one. Ford made a big deal of saying that previous accessories would work.

· Registered
Model 3 AWD, Lightning Lariat on order
630 Posts
A thought just came to mind for you guys with covers ready to go or know what you are going to buy. It would be cool if you could find a good 100 mile+ highway drive. When you get your truck make that drive without the cover. Then once you add the cover, make the same drive again. Would need to be similar weather and speed. I'm truly most interested in if it makes any range difference.

I've never had a bed liner or tonneau cover. I don't use a truck hard, but if the bed got scratched (as long as it was on the inside) I never cared - that is what it is for. I've never had or really wanted a cover either, but the consideration is really for for range/mileage.

· Registered
18 Posts
If bed space is an issue (and it is with such a short bed on these trucks), I recommend the Bakflip MX4. I've had it on two previous trucks (Tacoma and Raptor) and will be buying one for my Lightning today. It's a tri-fold cover but the fun part is that you can flip it up against the back of the cab to maximize bed space. When flipped up it does block the rear window but to me it's worth it because it means I can fit my dirtbike in the bed of my truck and still use a cover when there's no bike in the back.

· Registered
988 Posts
I ended up with a rough country retractable cover

1 - 20 of 31 Posts