Ford Lightning Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have there been any posts regarding how wheel and tire choice might affect overall mileage. In the shots I‘ve seen the tires on the prototypes all loook like they’re designed to maximize mileage but they’re not going to cut it “mud season” here in Vermont. Wondering how the AT tires might affect overall range. Any engineers on here who are looking for a problem to work on? Thanks.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Welcome to the forum @Wanderoften! There have been studies done about how EV range is affected by wheels size. The rule of thumb seems to be that thicker sidewall tires helps out range more than lower profile tires. Same goes for rim size.

Which Lightning model are you thinking about getting?

Font Rectangle Parallel Pattern Number

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Have there been any posts regarding how wheel and tire choice might affect overall mileage. In the shots I‘ve seen the tires on the prototypes all loook like they’re designed to maximize mileage but they’re not going to cut it “mud season” here in Vermont. Wondering how the AT tires might affect overall range. Any engineers on here who are looking for a problem to work on? Thanks.
Thanks for sharing. That was a very informative video and write-up. It seems like most of the trim levels Ford is offering come with the largere wheels, interestingly enough. I did notice that for an aesthetic standpoint the truck looks a bit awkward With 18” wheels from some of the photos I’ve seen.

·
2021 Mustang Mach E First Edition, 2016 Nissan Leaf, 2003 Toyota Tacoma, F-150 Lightning reserved
280 Posts
Thanks for sharing. That was a very informative video and write-up. It seems like most of the trim levels Ford is offering come with the largere wheels, interestingly enough. I did notice that for an aesthetic standpoint the truck looks a bit awkward With 18” wheels from some of the photos I’ve seen.
Also, just like ICE vehicles, rolling resistance influences efficiency. That means street tires > winter tires > mud tires.

·
Registered
295 Posts
For such a big truck I'm not surprised it looks a bit weird with the smaller wheels. Which wheels are you most interested in getting?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Have you done the math on how much range you actually need?
Whatever hit to range we experience might not require any extra charging.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts