Ford Lightning Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2021 Mustang Mach E First Edition, 2016 Nissan Leaf, 2003 Toyota Tacoma, F-150 Lightning reserved
618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
Current: 2006 Ram 1500 Future:F150 Lightning
26 Posts
Literally reinventing the wheel. No thank you, I'd rather stick with what works

·
Super Moderator
2021 Mustang Mach E First Edition, 2016 Nissan Leaf, 2003 Toyota Tacoma, F-150 Lightning reserved
618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Registered
11 Posts
Are there any benefits to a yoke steering wheel? Or are Tesla and Toyota just using it because it is different like the model X wing doors?

·
Registered
1967 Mustang, 2017 Mustang GT, 2020 Explorer ST
22 Posts
Apparently little genius Elon Musk has never tried backing up a trailer. Try doing it with only half a steering wheel. The CyBeRtRuCk is going to be a joke.

·
Super Moderator
618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Are there any benefits to a yoke steering wheel? Or are Tesla and Toyota just using it because it is different like the model X wing doors?
The only rationale I have seen from Tesla is that it provides greater visibility by removing the wheel from the drivers' view.

·
Registered
14 Posts
You all sound like folks back when they made seatbelts the law...and making fun of a yoke none of you have ever tried lol. Could be better, might not...you be like "you ever try getting out of a wreck with a seatbelt tied to you...probably drown too".

·
Registered
16 Posts
You all sound like folks back when they made seatbelts the law...and making fun of a yoke none of you have ever tried lol. Could be better, might not...you be like "you ever try getting out of a wreck with a seatbelt tied to you...probably drown too".
Seatbelts are, and always have been, a safety feature. Arguing against them is moronic. A little less so when they were new, as they didn't yet have the decades of data we have now that prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that they save lives. But it was still pretty dumb to oppose them.

Yokes have never been about safety. Elon just thinks they're cool. His claim that full wheels block one's view of the road is laughable. That's only the case when the driver is so short that they need special equipment to drive (and in that case, if they use the proper equipment, their view is fine).

Maybe he was super into Knight Rider as a kid or something. I was too, but even then I thought KITT's yoke was dumb.

Yokes are for vehicles that don't need much control input, like airplanes (although I much prefer a control stick to a yoke in the cockpit, too).

·
Registered
22 Posts
Look up Mercury's "Wrist-Twist" design from decades ago (here, I'll help you out: Ford “Wrist-Twist” Steering Tried a Tesla Model S–Style Yoke in 1965). I'm sure that was advertised as "better" too. But there's a reason why it never stuck. As the old adage says, keep it simple.

Also, just read people's reviews of the yoke and the difficulty they initially (and sometimes continuously) have using the yoke in the Model S Plaid. Now imagine having to turn a 4-ton "stainless steel" pickup truck with one of those.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Also, just read people's reviews of the yoke and the difficulty they initially (and sometimes continuously) have using the yoke in the Model S Plaid. Now imagine having to turn a 4-ton "stainless steel" pickup truck with one of those.
[/QUOTE]

Sandy Monroe loved the yoke in the new Plaid Model S...he has seen everything the industry has done, he absolutely loved it. Like what I was being cheeky about...old dudes that have strong opinions on different approaches they never have tried...classic. May as well yell at some youth to turn down that rap music, and get it out of your system.

·
Registered
25 Posts
The only place I like to see a yoke, and there are two of them are on the single engine planes I fly. Speaking of Monroe he was critising the new Silverado EV when he has not seen it in person , driven it or tested it. I know GM has a tainted history when it comes to EV's and tends to stretch the truth in the marketing materials. And they are in bed with Uncle Sam for who knows how many bail out loans. There market share continues to shrink and there now number 3 in pickup truck sales of the once big three. So I'll be watching to see where they go.

·
Registered
22 Posts
This isn't some "get off my lawn" agism-based rant (by the way, I'm only 32, so I definitely don't fit the stereotype you're trying to portray). This is simply a discussion about the flaws of having a steering wheel chopped in half. Would you chop the steering wheel of your car in half knowing that you've probably used every part of it through your time with the car? If so, then go ahead and buy the CyBeRtRuCk (a.k.a. vaporware) with the poorly thought-out yoke.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts