⚡ Ford Lightning Forum ⚡ banner
41 - 60 of 71 Posts

·
Administrator
2021 Mustang Mach E First Edition, 2016 Nissan Leaf, 2003 Toyota Tacoma, F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
2,416 Posts
It may not be the most helpful for other tesla but it'll be helpful to use for Lightning owners coming across Tesla wall connectors.
Nope. What you're thinking of is a Tesla Tap. It goes from a Tesla charger to a J-1772 that does into a Lightning.

What comes with the truck (at least for now) goes from J-1772 to Tesla.

Reactions: GDN and Bandit

·
Administrator
2021 Mustang Mach E First Edition, 2016 Nissan Leaf, 2003 Toyota Tacoma, F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
2,416 Posts
While we're on the topic, the Tesla Tap units are excellent and the guy who makes them is great to work with. After we have more trucks delivered, we can probably work out a Lightning group discount -- he did this for Mach E owners a few months back. That's when I upgraded from the full-sized 50A unit, that worked fine every time I've needed to use to, to the 80A mini that will work for both my Mach E and my Lightning.

·
Registered
938 Posts
Was it a temporary promotional gimic or are they still including the 14-30P to 14-50R adapter and the adapter for charging Teslas? My Lariat did not have them.
Oh yea, I didn't even look for that..........just checked and nope for me. So unless the service department stole it, @Ford Motor Company didn't give me one.

·
Registered
938 Posts
Oh and I didn't get the 240v plug extender either

·
Registered
Model 3 AWD, Lightning Lariat on order
579 Posts
I also did not have those extra adapters from a delivery on Friday. Actually disappointed, I thought they were included with all trucks. They did just enough to make a news article and look smart. Now to the back of the line again.

Reactions: FM_Jack

·
Administrator
2,416 Posts
My truck was delivered to my dealer 6/28 with no adapters. It seemed to have been a stunt for the earliest deliveries only.

·
Administrator
2,416 Posts
I ordered one for $50 on amazon for my kit anyway :) I'll toss it in with the other stuff in the lower-frunk in case I ever find a poor tesla in need of a jump :D
I bought the 30 to 50A adapter cable but the Tesla owner better carry his/her own J-1772 adapter. I'm not that generous!

• Haha
Reactions: btreece

·
Registered
938 Posts
While we're on the topic, the Tesla Tap units are excellent and the guy who makes them is great to work with. After we have more trucks delivered, we can probably work out a Lightning group discount -- he did this for Mach E owners a few months back. That's when I upgraded from the full-sized 50A unit, that worked fine every time I've needed to use to, to the 80A mini that will work for both my Mach E and my Lightning.

Is this idea still going to happen? Any idea when?

I wouldn't say I "need" one at the moment but I don't want to miss out and part of me wants to get it now to have and not need it rather than to not.....>_>

And the "high power" version isn't the one we'd want?

·
Registered
355 Posts

I wouldn't say I "need" one at the moment but I don't want to miss out and part of me wants to get it now to have and not need it rather than to not.....>_>

In this thread, "Tesla adaptor" is being used for two different things. There is the J1772>Tesla that all Teslas come with, and allow us to use any J1772. Then there is the Tesla>J1772 with allows Lightning (& virtually all other EVs) to use Tesla Destination chargers.

All Teslas come with the first adapter. It would seem ill-advised to not be able to use any charger available. Likewise, I cannot imagine not having a Tesla>J1772 in my Lightning. Tesla Destination chargers are ubiquitous, and often offer higher power than the J1772 sitting next to it... if the location even offers both. Locations where I often use these adaptors are restaurants, hotels and micro-brews.

I have the Lectron 50a adaptor in my current EVs, because they cannot pull more than that. The Lightning can, so if there is going to be a group-buy on the heavy-duty Tesla-Tap, count me in.
:cool:

·
Administrator
2,416 Posts

It can but I'll wait until we have a critical mass to do it.

Reactions: 208 and ErichKeane
41 - 60 of 71 Posts