Ford Lightning Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Typically I am a Lariat Lux package buyer. That would be about $87,000.00 out the door. Pro will run about $45,000. Back out the tax benefits and we are at roughly $80k v. $37.5.

What is the “killer feature” that I am overlooking? The Pro is just incredibly well equipped for the $$. Then figure that uncle sugar is kicking in 17% of the purchase of the PRO and only 8% of the Lariat.

At $97k or $80k on the XLT one could gain bi directional charging and a home backup. That is a “killer feature” but my luck is that everything blows up when I am at work. Also, the Four Seasons is $300 a night… the Lariat probably would not get me lucky with the wife, but the Four Seasons sure would.

I have never ordered the PRO version of anything… convince me how am looking at this the wrong way.

——-

a

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2021 Mustang Mach E First Edition, 2016 Nissan Leaf, 2003 Toyota Tacoma, F-150 Lightning reserved
618 Posts
Sounds like a good choice to me. I'm planning to haul a travel trailer, so the Extended Range battery is a must. I'll also do regular drives to kayak rivers in WV for which the ER will make a big difference. ER battery means at least an XLT and the difference between an XLT and Lariat with ER, tow package, and max tow says the Lariat is a no-brainer.

If my use of the truck didn't involve those long drives and trailer hauling, I'd be looking at the Pro too!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'd love to get the Pro version. However, it seems my dealer won't allow it and would skip me in line to option a Lariat or better. Waiting for the 20k admin fee to drop any moment now. Additionally, messing around with the build website its crazy to see the minimum requirements to get the extended battery jumping the price about 20k or so depending on the model. I think I'm going to settle for an XLT standard range battery and call it a day. My dealer won't option anything less.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I am getting the Pro. I prefer the easy to clean vinyl floor and seats over carpeted floor and I prefer the 12 inch integrated display over the iPad that was added as an after thought.

If the Lariat and XLT were cheaper than the Pro than I would even consider upgrading to the Pro. When you buy a Bronco, the vinyl floors come on the higher end trims.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Back out the tax benefits and we are at roughly $80k v. $37.5.
Given the length of the reservation list, and the fact that at the end of Q3 '21 that Ford had already manufactured a total of 150k vehicles that count against their 200k (see IRS site data), most folks need to consider that their best hope is really $3,750, and for many/most less than that. I think that right now, the biggest incentive is that it's a shot to get the truck earlier, as Ford has stated the Lariat with 511A trim and ER battery will be the highest volume they make. That said, if you don't NEED it ('it' being the extra features), then don't buy it. You will be very happy with the PRO model, and at some point in the future when you want to consider a new vehicle (if that's in the cards in your future), you won't need to be as worried about recovering depreciation, etc.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I was bummed ar the price points for the ER so I started looking at the pro. You get allot of features that are on the ICE xlt mid packages on the pro so it's defiantly a good choice . I guess we don't know what is going to come standard on the 2022 f150 ICE but the digital Guage cluster right now is only on the high trim 502a lariat I beleive. So for the pro to include that is pretty cool.

I am in the same position as chasing coral with towing my boat, so I started looking heavily into the hybrid 3.5 powerboost as a happy medium.

I'm in the way back of the line so I have time to think about it. I encourage you to go down to your local dealership and see what the ICE f150s are like. You'll be able to see allot of features and packages that the lightning will be offered with in all of its trims.

·
Super Moderator
2021 Mustang Mach E First Edition, 2016 Nissan Leaf, 2003 Toyota Tacoma, F-150 Lightning reserved
618 Posts
I was bummed ar the price points for the ER so I started looking at the pro. You get allot of features that are on the ICE xlt mid packages on the pro so it's defiantly a good choice . I guess we don't know what is going to come standard on the 2022 f150 ICE but the digital Guage cluster right now is only on the high trim 502a lariat I beleive. So for the pro to include that is pretty cool.

I am in the same position as chasing coral with towing my boat, so I started looking heavily into the hybrid 3.5 powerboost as a happy medium.

I'm in the way back of the line so I have time to think about it. I encourage you to go down to your local dealership and see what the ICE f150s are like. You'll be able to see allot of features and packages that the lightning will be offered with in all of its trims.
Digital instruments in front of the driver is the same on all models. The difference is the 12” landscape main display with Sync 4 vs 15.5” portrait main screen with Sync 4A.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Good points, all. Thanks.

I encourage you to go down to your local dealership and see what the ICE f150s are like. You'll be able to see allot of features and packages that the lightning will be offered with in all of its trims.
Former F150 owner (x3) and Ranger (x2). Current cars are a Tesla, GTI and an old Mercedes Wagon which has been pulling F150 duty (which it does surprisingly well ... 9 ft load floor with the seats down and 1,200+ lbs capacity). The VW is up against its 30 to 40k service interval. Admittedly this is not a fair comparison, but:
  • oil changes have to be scheduled a week out. Dealers are busy.
  • transmission services are $400+
  • 40K service is $925 to $1,025 depending on where I take it
  • there is always at least a 15 minute wait for gas at Costco
  • takes me an hour to get to Costco and back (I like the quality of their gas and it is relatively cheap)
  • Costs almost $100 to fill a F150 with stinky, nasty, gas
v.
  • Plugging in at home is nearly instant with no hassle
  • The truck should be smart enough to only charge at night when our local power cost goes to $0 under a niteflex plan. Worst case would be about $5.00 at $0.04 per KWH. Our local power comes from renewables.
  • Brakes literally last forever if you drive your EV right and regen to a stop
  • No oil changes
  • No transmission service

Frankly I'm done with ICE anything except airplanes. Even with the lawn mower the battery powered one has much greater torque, isn't belching hot exhaust in my face, has effective headlights to mow when it is cooler and is silent so nobody cares when I mow ... and the thing always starts :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Digital instruments in front of the driver is the same on all models. The difference is the 12” landscape main display with Sync 4 vs 15.5” portrait main screen with Sync 4A.
I was comparing the pro with the ICE f150's which don't have full digital read out until you get Into the higher trims.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just ordered an XLT yesterday. I wanted the Pro but it was sold out. There are some features on the XLT that I’m happy about but yeah the pro was a better deal for sure.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Terrific!

So after being told I was in the "top 5" by my dealer I am now #15. They are only getting two this year. My "reservation" was just under four minutes after the bank opened. No truck for me; unless I buy their demo, which is a Lariat. Hmmm.

Figure test drives are going to be mostly 0 to 60 runs for the few thousands miles they put on it doing demos.. But, it is electric and that should not really harm the vehicle. ... dunno.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thanks, I was aware of that policy, It seems hard to believe that all MY22 Pros could be allocated before the beginning of Wave 2. If true, it's probably fleet sales allocations. F-150 Lightning Pro fleet demand from electric utilities alone should be quite strong.

·
Super Moderator
618 Posts
Thanks, I was aware of that policy, It seems hard to believe that all MY22 Pros could be allocated before the beginning of Wave 2. If true, it's probably fleet sales allocations. F-150 Lightning Pro fleet demand from electric utilities alone should be quite strong.
It wouldn't surprise me to have Ford prioritize deliveries of Pro models to fleet buyers.

·
Registered
41 Posts
It wouldn't surprise me to have Ford prioritize deliveries of Pro models to fleet buyers.
As long as I get my first wave Pro order in 2022 I’ll be happy. My Bronco was 512 days from reservation to delivery, which now isn‘t looking so bad since other first day res holders are still waiting.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts