⚡ Ford Lightning Forum ⚡ banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Administrator
2021 Mustang Mach E First Edition, 2016 Nissan Leaf, 2003 Toyota Tacoma, F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
2,449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Siemens Collaborates with Ford on Customized Electric Vehicle Charger for All-Electric F-150 Lightning Retail Customers
Ford Charge Station Pro granted newly expanded Underwriters Laboratories (UL) 9741 standard for safety and compliance

Atlanta, GA | February 9, 2022
Siemens eMobility® announced it has worked with Ford on the Ford Charge Station Pro, a custom electric vehicle (EV) charger for the Ford F-150 Lightning. This innovative charger is the first bidirectional-ready EV solution set for release at retail customer scale to receive certification under the newly expanded Underwriters Laboratories (UL) 9741, an important industry-wide benchmark that ensures products meet safety standards. The new charge station also features a peak power of 19.2kW, achieving the maximum power rating currently available for a Level 2 charge station.

The Ford Charge Station Pro is needed to enable Ford Intelligent Backup Power, a system that allows the Ford-150 Lightning to become an interactive part of the home and be used as a power generation source during outages, the first electric truck to do so. In the future, additional features will be made available with firmware updates to the charger that will help customers interact even further with the grid.

“Together with Ford, Siemens is not only helping accelerate electric vehicle adoption in the residential space but is also empowering drivers to take more ownership of their energy future,” said John DeBoer, head of Siemens eMobility in North America. “The technology behind this charger is helping make charging at home more sustainable,more reliable, and more accessible. We’re incredibly proud to put our experience to work to help usher in a new era for electric vehicles and grid resiliency.”

·
Registered
Model 3 AWD, Lightning Lariat on order
583 Posts
We are likely very lucky they are using 3rd parties. Why re-invent the wheel. Likely patents and other things they would need to pay for in developing such a device. Plus if the EV revolution is for real, these devices should become commonplace, you don't want 20 different standards. Some day in 20 years you would think one might pick up and move homes and the technology would already in place in the house and it would work with whatever brand of auto you drive.

·
Registered
'22 Lightning Struck 6/16, '19 Niro EV, '17 Leaf, '10 FFH
20 Posts
The Ford Charge Station Pro is needed to enable Ford Intelligent Backup Power, a system that allows the Ford-150 Lightning to become an interactive part of the home and be used as a power generation source during outages, the first electric truck to do so. In the future, additional features will be made available with firmware updates to the charger that will help customers interact even further with the grid.
Thanks for posting the Siemens article! I had seen Ford was partnerning with Siemens on the Pro station in a recent Ford media release.

Now if only we could figure out whose equipment they are using for the Intelligent Backup Power and Home Integration System components like the inverter and transfer switch. I'm sure we'll learn eventually. I do wonder if they went with one of the mainstream solar equipment manufacturers or if they used something more from Siemens for the other side of the backup connections back to the house.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Nice find. Dang pricey and this is why I'm surprised it is bundled with the truck. Of course they are adding that price right to the bottom line. They could drop the ER models by over $1K if it weren't included. Ebay will be flooded with these. Very nice profit in this I'm sure and it is guaranteed money. Most will be happy with the included portable charger or would make due on a much cheaper 3rd party charger. Uptake on truly installng and using the Pro version of this I bet will be less than 20%.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Nice find. Dang pricey and this is why I'm surprised it is bundled with the truck. Of course they are adding that price right to the bottom line. They could drop the ER models by over $1K if it weren't included. Ebay will be flooded with these. Very nice profit in this I'm sure and it is guaranteed money. Most will be happy with the included portable charger or would make due on a much cheaper 3rd party charger. Uptake on truly installng and using the Pro version of this I bet will be less than 20%.
I think you are off on the 20% since the amp draw is modifiable. I'd bet 50%.

·
Registered
583 Posts
I think you are off on the 20% since the amp draw is modifiable. I'd bet 50%.
Very well could be higher, but just the sheer number of people asking about panel and house service. I do believe many more will use it for the higher amp charging limit over the House Backup Power.

Reactions: 2023 lighting

·
Registered
503 Posts
Very well could be higher, but just the sheer number of people asking about panel and house service. I do believe many more will use it for the higher amp charging limit over the House Backup Power.
I'm guessing the since you can set it all the way down to 20 amps if memory serves, most who install will install will not need a new panel, and will appreciate the flexibility of keeping the mobile charger in the truck. I just think folks don't know you don't have to have 100 amps open.....Ford needs to make that more clear.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.