Day 1: Silver Spring, MD to Raleigh, NC
Any time you have to charge 3 or more times in a day, the reduction in charging to 20-80% SOC or slowly charging from 80-90% results in a real loss in time efficiency. The good news is that on day 1 the Ford navigation was pretty solid in its range estimates. Because we were going 60 mph on day 1, our buffer would get eroded a little but we pulled into stations with 10-30% SOC and felt pretty comfortable.
Buffer: the difference between predicted Distance to Empty and distance to destination. DTE in the Guess-o-Meter when navigating comes from the navigation calculations and is generally much more accurate than the GOM reading when you first start the truck. The Navigation DTE takes speed and road conditions into account.
The biggest challenge came when the Sync 4A screen rebooted twice and came up in the new UI (see Sherman's March to the Sea, and the other Sea, and...
above). Our arrival at the end of the day had a bit more erosion of the buffer than we expected but we didn't know why.
First Charge, Richmond, VA.
We knew this charge station and knew it would have a fair setup for charging with a trailer.
Stop 2: Emporia, VA
Another charger I'd used before was fairly good for charging with a trailer.
Stop 3: Rocky Mount, NC
The setup for trailer charging was pretty bad. Fortunately, the only other EV that came to charge was a Kona that only charges at ~50kW, so the one charger I left open worked fine for them.
You can also see the pattern of one or two chargers dead at each location.