⚡ Ford Lightning Forum ⚡ banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
2002 Lightning Lariat SR
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Am I the first one to get this? Received a safety recall notification because the windshield wiper motor may become inoperative. Of course they’ll replace it for free, but the parts are not anticipated to become available until the third quarter of 2023. I guess I’ll keep my long-handled squeege at the ready in case I have to hang out the window and wipe myself… 😳

Font Material property Parallel Paper Paper product

· Registered
2002 Lightning Lariat SR
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I received it yesterday. Third quarter of 2023 is a long time to wait.
Right? I’m sure it has something to do with the overall chip shortage. But it kind of had the feel of a CYA for Ford. “It could fail anytime, but we can’t fix it for 6 months and by the way, we told you so…”

· Registered
803 Posts
But it kind of had the feel of a CYA for Ford. “It could fail anytime, but we can’t fix it for 6 months and by the way, we told you so…”
It's the law more than CYA. I appreciate knowing about it rather than having to independently discover it like the good ol' days of deadly Firestone tires on Torinos, exploding gas tanks on Pintos, and flaming GM ignition switches.

I will be a little more diligent in keeping a good application of Rain-X on the windshield.

· Registered
47 Posts
Does that stuff (RainX) really work? I’ve never used it. How often do you need to reapply under normal circumstances?
Yes, it works. It is pretty amazing. However, it is not as good clearing the window if you are not traveling at speed. Once you hit about 45 mph, rain just slides off the windshield. I apply it when I see it has started to be less effective. Maybe about every 3 months or so.

· Registered
2002 Lightning Lariat SR
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes, it works. It is pretty amazing. However, it is not as good clearing the window if you are not traveling at speed. Once you hit about 45 mph, rain just slides off the windshield. I apply it when I see it has started to be less effective. Maybe about every 3 months or so.
Thanks! I’ll give it a try.

· Registered
803 Posts
Better than Rain-x, get yourself some silicone wipers. More expensive than traditional wipers but they'll last about 5 years and allow the water to bead off just like Rain-x.
This is more like what happens if the wiper motor fails before the recall parts are available. I guess you're saying to get silicone wipers now and the windshield will be 'treated' if the motor fails?

Years ago, when the Saab needed a wiper motor and Rain-X was my only windshield wiper, people used to say that Aquapel works better than Rain-X. I never tried it.

· Registered
78 Posts
RainX will be my friend. Sheesh. It was pouring this morning in OH - so hard that even RainX was not enough. Going to put another coat on this weekend.
They make Rainex windshield washing fluid. Been using a a couple years. While probably not as good as regular rainex (I don't know that - it may be), it is definitely more reliable and effective relying on me to re-apply it!

Just paid extra and installed the Rainex wipers - not sure if there is anything more effective about them, but they supposedly change color as they wear out.

· Administrator
2021 Mustang Mach E First Edition, 2016 Nissan Leaf, 2003 Toyota Tacoma, F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
3,584 Posts
I see it on my Ford account now:

WINDSHIELD WIPER MOTOR REPLACEMENT
Recall Incomplete
Details

Issue Date
2023-01-09

Description
ON YOUR VEHICLE, THE WINDSHIELD WIPER MOTOR MAY BECOME INOPERATIVE, OR CAUSE THE WIPERS TO OPERATE ERRATICALLY AND OR STOP WORKING.

Safety Risk
AN INOPERATIVE WIPER MOTOR HAS THE POTENTIAL FOR REDUCED VISIBILITY OR LOSS OF VISIBILITY IN CERTAIN CONDITIONS, INCREASING THE RISK OF A CRASH.

Remedy
FORD MOTOR COMPANY IS WORKING CLOSELY WITH ITS SUPPLIERS TO PRODUCE PARTS FOR THIS REPAIR. WHEN PARTS BECOME AVAILABLE, FORD MOTOR COMPANY WILL NOTIFY YOU VIA MAIL TO SCHEDULE A SERVICE APPOINTMENT WITH YOUR DEALER FOR THE REPLACEMENT OF THE FRONT WINDSHIELD WIPER MOTOR, FREE OF CHARGE - PARTS AND LABOR. PARTS ARE ANTICIPATED TO BE AVAILABLE IN THE THIRD QUARTER OF 2023. IF A CONCERN OCCURS WITH THE WINDSHIELD WIPERS BEFORE THIS TIME, PLEASE CONTACT YOUR DEALER FOR FURTHER ASSISTANCE.

Campaign/NHTSA# 22S71/22S71

1 - 14 of 14 Posts