⚡ Ford Lightning Forum ⚡ banner

Rust on both axles

3K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  Henry Ford 
#1 ·
Hey guys,
I made a joking “How to Change my Oil on my Lightning” on Tik Tok and many commenters pointed out something that’s mildly worrisome. Both sides of my CV axles from the motor to wheel hubs are rusty. I’ve only had the truck for little over a month with 1k miles on it. I do live in Nj in the shore which causes salty conditions but is this normal?
I’ve read a thread from the Mach E forum that the axles will outlast the vehicle even with rust but their photos didn’t have nearly as much as mine.
Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Tread Bumper

See less See more
#3 ·
Looks like every steel part on the bottom of every car I've ever owned. It's because of salt. Since Ford engineers cars in Michigan I'm going to guess they factor this in when they choose materials and it's completely normal.

I wash my truck regularly to mitigate salt corrosion but the reality is when you drive in salt parts with iron will rust. A little surface rust is no big deal.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.