⚡ Ford Lightning Forum ⚡ banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As one who made a reservation on 5/19/21 and is still waiting on an invitation to order, I was told by Ford that unless I got the invitation by 3/31/22 (which they said was pretty unlikely as my dealer is in a small town and likely didn't receive many build allocations), I would not be invited to order a model year 2022 lightning. I asked what would happen next and was told that they are going to cancel all reservations after March and ordering would open again mid-august with no priority given to prior reservation holders, only to those who were invited to order but not yet assigned a VIN.

I am curious to know if anyone else has heard this disappointing news.

·
Registered
1967 Mustang, 2014 F150 FX4, 2017 Mustang GT, 2020 Explorer ST
57 Posts
As one who made a reservation on 5/19/21 and is still waiting on an invitation to order, I was told by Ford that unless I got the invitation by 3/31/22 (which they said was pretty unlikely as my dealer is in a small town and likely didn't receive many build allocations), I would not be invited to order a model year 2022 lightning. I asked what would happen next and was told that they are going to cancel all reservations after March and ordering would open again mid-august with no priority given to prior reservation holders, only to those who were invited to order but not yet assigned a VIN.

You were told that by Ford? I'm gonna be honest here: I don't believe you.

·
Registered
367 Posts
I asked what would happen next and was told that they are going to cancel all reservations after March and ordering would open again mid-august with no priority given to prior reservation holders, only to those who were invited to order but not yet assigned a VIN.

No, you have an opportunity to self cancel, otherwise you stay on the bandwagon with 180,000+ others waiting for future model years. Not heard of any mass-cancel plans yet. A bunch of folks got an email 3/3 informing them they will be waiting until the summer for MY23 invitations to order, did you get that email?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No, you have an opportunity to self cancel, otherwise you stay on the bandwagon with 180,000+ others waiting for future model years. Not heard of any mass-cancel plans yet. A bunch of folks got an email 3/3 informing them they will be waiting until the summer for MY23 invitations to order, did you get that email?
Yes. I got that email on 3/4. That why I called Ford. I wanted to know if I could or should switch dealers. My dealer told me he got one allocation and had lots of reservations. Ford MHC said that after March 31 my reservation would be cancelled and that beginning on Aug 16 orders could be placed for the new year. I told him that didn’t sound right and he confirmed to me that orders would cancel after March 31.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes. I got that email on 3/4. That why I called Ford. I wanted to know if I could or should switch dealers. My dealer told me he got one allocation and had lots of reservations. Ford MHC said that after March 31 my reservation would be cancelled and that beginning on Aug 16 orders could be placed for the new year. I told him that didn’t sound right and he confirmed to me that orders would cancel after March 31.
…correction…. He said the reservations would cancel…… (not the orders)

·
Registered
PRO Iced Blue Silver - Tow Tech, Max Tow, 9.6kw ProPower
190 Posts
I believe your dealer has 'misunderstood' the actual FORD message about how this works: your RESERVATION will not be cancelled, the March31st 'cutoff' is ONLY for those who have been opened to an ORDER, and MUST respond to that order request by March 31st, otherwise they lose their place in line, or 'they' may lose their reservation. All other reservation owners will CONTINUE to stay in the reservations line, for future year models, to be asked to ORDER at some point in the future.
No, Ford will certainly NOT be cancelling all reservations - that's not practical, or would not be within common-sense.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I agree with you and that is why it was surprising to hear it from Ford Marketing Program Headquarters- not from my dealer. I hope it isn’t true. But at the same time something is messed up with this system if my dealer only got one allocation and has more than 100 reservations. Even though I was very early to reserve it will be a long time until I get to order.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts