⚡ Ford Lightning Forum ⚡ banner

Pro - Order vs. Delivery MSRP, extra $5,000

9K views 46 replies 13 participants last post by  Ed S 
#1 · (Edited)
First let me say this is not a rant about dealer pricing, fees, taxes, or ADM. I love my local Ford dealer they are stand up guys and I've bought many trucks from them before and I plan to buy more in the future too!

I am a day 1 reservation holder (chose to extend during MY22) for a Pro and I was fortunate enough to be invited to order this summer for delivery in a few days. I am also very grateful to Ford for the private offer to price protect MY22 pricing with a $7,000 discount.

Just to use round numbers, I reserved the truck when the base MSRP was $40k.

I ordered the truck when the base MSRP was $47k as shown on my Ford web portal, $7k increase.

The base MSRP on my buyer's order is $52k, $5k increase.

The private offer has negated the first price increase, but my issue is that I ordered after the first increase but before the second increase, however when I take delivery my dealer's pricing is based on current MSRP, reflecting an unexpected $5,000 in additional cost.

I am definitely still going to take delivery, I'm excited for the truck but I don't want to leave any money on the table unnecessarily. Someone at my dealership that I trust explained how the invoicing from Ford is working for Lightnings and based on that I believe that Ford is reflecting current MSRP for invoice instead of ordered MSRP.

Has anyone else experienced this and had luck with additional Ford private offers or more strategies to recoup the second Pro $5,000 increase or should I just pay with gratitude and enjoy the truck? :cool:

See less See more
#2 ·
First let me say this is not a rant about dealer pricing, fees, taxes, or ADM. I love my local Ford dealer they are stand up guys and I've bought many trucks from them before and I plan to buy more in the future too!

I am a day 1 reservation holder (chose to extend during MY22) for a Pro and I was fortunate enough to be invited to order this summer for delivery in a few days. I am also very grateful to Ford for the private offer to price protect MY22 pricing with a $7,000 discount.

I ordered the truck when the base MSRP was $47k as shown on my Ford web portal, $7k increase.

The private offer has negated the first price increase, but my issue is that I ordered after the first increase but before the second increase, however when I take delivery my dealer's pricing is based on current MSRP, reflecting an unexpected $5,000 in additional cost.

I am definitely still going to take delivery, I'm excited for the truck but I don't want to leave any money on the table unnecessarily. Someone at my dealership that I trust explained how the invoicing from Ford is working for Lightnings and based on that I believe that Ford is reflecting current MSRP for invoice instead of ordered MSRP.

Has anyone else experienced this and had luck with additional Ford private offers or more strategies to recoup the second Pro $5,000 increase or should I just pay with gratitude and enjoy the truck? :cool:
Call Ford directly to ask them how they are handling the private offer now that they raised the price another $5k.

#3 ·
Thank you, yes I've already contacted customer service and they have submitted a case to review if there's anything they can do. Curious if anybody else ordered after the first price increase but took delivery after the second one and what your experience was.

#6 ·
This a text from my wife’s Lincoln salesperson when I asked her about price protection for the $5000 increase.
Yes! So you are protected at the original price when you ordered the truck. The window sticker will show the adjusted price in the case that a customer does not want the order anymore and can reflect the new price to a “new” buyer. Does that make sense?

#11 ·
@hatchetman, thanks for starting this post. My situation is exactly the same as yours so I'm curious to see what your outcome is. I plan to call Ford this week, but I have a feeling I may get different answers depending on which individuals I speak to. I woud surely hope that the MSRP at the time or placing the order ($47k) should be the one that carries through to delivery. My build date is scheduled for the week of 12/19 so I don't expect to take delivery until late January,

#12 · (Edited)
I've been in communication with my dealer and they have confirmed that any price protection money that comes from Ford will be sent to me via check later. Too bad I have to pay tax on the higher amount but I will be grateful to take delivery of my truck and later receive the price protection check. I am fortunate to be working with a dealership that values integrity and honesty.

#17 ·
I'm in the exact same boat as you. I received a DocuSign from my dealer with the new higher MSRP (+5k) from what was on my order. They aren't wanting to give me the order price. Sounds like I need to go in person with the price protection paperwork and show them.
Keep us informed as to how your dealer handles it.

#20 ·
I'm in the exact same boat as you. I received a DocuSign from my dealer with the new higher MSRP (+5k) from what was on my order. They aren't wanting to give me the order price. Sounds like I need to go in person with the price protection paperwork and show them.
Keep us informed as to how your dealer handles it.
I paid the $5,000 elevated MSRP and took delivery of the truck. I will wait patiently for my dealership to send me a check as they promised for any additional price protection money they received from Ford.

#21 ·
Check above for the helpful conversation about price protection. Some dealers will drop the price and you pay less at delivery some others are issuing checks after Ford reimburses them electronically. I'm loving the truck and will wait for my check. Fingers crossed :)

#22 ·
Day 2 reservation holder here, order placed on 8-11, truck delivered on 12-1.
According to me dealer, I'm out of luck for the 5k. Basically said I was lucky to get the 7 grand and I could take it or leave it. The GM basically called me a liar and was irate when I went there to straighten out the pricing for loan/down payment finalization and told him I had called ford multiple times since seeing the elevated msrp on the window sticker. At one point he said that I couldn't have the truck, I'm sure he was salivating to put it on the lot. Ford website actually shows my order price even now after delivery.
Terrible experience on the dealer level, and I've probably bought 20 or so new cars in my life and currently own two Fords that were bought used.
I hope everyone gets what's owed to them, I plan to write directly to Ford as their hotline doesn't prove very helpful. A 5k surprise at the last minute is basically disgraceful.
The truck itself is great, aside from a FordPass issue initially. If I had to do it again I wouldn't have chosen the dealer I did, guess I was supposed to be grateful that they didn't add ADM. Live and Learn.

#23 ·
Day 2 reservation holder here, order placed on 8-11, truck delivered on 12-1.
According to me dealer, I'm out of luck for the 5k. Basically said I was lucky to get the 7 grand and I could take it or leave it. The GM basically called me a liar and was irate when I went there to straighten out the pricing for loan/down payment finalization and told him I had called ford multiple times since seeing the elevated msrp on the window sticker. At one point he said that I couldn't have the truck, I'm sure he was salivating to put it on the lot. Ford website actually shows my order price even now after delivery.
Terrible experience on the dealer level, and I've probably bought 20 or so new cars in my life and currently own two Fords that were bought used.
I hope everyone gets what's owed to them, I plan to write directly to Ford as their hotline doesn't prove very helpful. A 5k surprise at the last minute is basically disgraceful.
The truck itself is great, aside from a FordPass issue initially. If I had to do it again I wouldn't have chosen the dealer I did, guess I was supposed to be grateful that they didn't add ADM. Live and Learn.
Thats terrible. I had to fight for the $5000 but it worked out in the end. I had a lot of documentation to help. I know a few others got a promise from their dealer that if the $5000 price protection showed up the dealer would cut them a check after the fact.

#26 ·
There has been quite a few of us, 15-20 I’ve seen. Honestly I can’t remember anyone who didn’t. But it was a struggle for most. The $7000 never seems not to be a problem. Some got the $5000 off at the deal and others are promised the $5000 when the dealer gets it from ford. There is a lot of good info here on on F150lightningforums (10/24 build week thread)

#29 ·
I have same problem and Dealer do not care or any intention to give back to customers like me. What do I need to do in order to get $5,000.00 back? I paid full amount from MSRP and got ribbed off $5,000 from dealer. Dealer subtracted $7,000 from selling price plus tax. I should not go to this dealer (Ford dealer in Huntington Beach, California) in first place. F this dealer.

#31 ·
Dealer subtracted $7,000 from selling price plus tax.
If this means what it says, are you sure the dealer didn't honor it up front and will keep the private offer cash when they get it from Ford? Or, that is the price protection and they used it to offset an ADM the dealer charged?

#38 ·

I did. Eventually got it with original price (msrp $397xx+ options.
I explained point to point how my reservation and ordering process has gone and how I never received any communication for any price incentives after I ordered. Called Ford support and was told that where appears to be some communication coming to dealers for situations like this. I was told they (dealer) contacted Ford about it and after that it was smooth sailing.

#46 ·
I placed my order when it was 46974, and the truck just came in. But the price on the truck is 55974, and the dealer states then cannot see the original when I placed the order. I never saved anything, so I am not sure how I can get my original order information. Called so many, and still no help ? Any ideas other wise I won't be able to get my price protection...

#47 ·
Just walked away from my Lightning order. I ordered in Aug at MSRP of $46k and it came in at $56k. Dealer was not willing to lower MSRP and hope they got a check to compensate. I told them I'd buy it for the new MSRP but I wanted a letter stating I would get any moneys they received, if they received one, off of me purchasing the truck. They didn't like that and they told me there was nothing they could do. So I left not getting beat by a shady dealership. The salesman and the financial guy understood me but the owner wasn't interested in it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.