⚡ Ford Lightning Forum ⚡ banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry to chime in on my first post in distress but I need help!!

I purchased a Lectron Tesla Charger adapter but, it’s not working. The wall unit plugs up and chargers the Tesla just fine but when I connect the to the lightning it turns blue then says charging paused.
Motor vehicle Car Automotive design Automotive exterior Personal luxury car

· Registered
195 Posts
There is a reason Lectron is cheaper than Tesla Tap. They are hit or miss with some vehicles, but it could also be that you have a bad adaptor.
1st:
Make sure that the adaptor is FULLY seated, it is an extremely tight fit with my Tesla Tap. I have to use dielectric grease on the pins to make it seat easier.
2nd:
Can you try charging another CCS vehicle and see if it works. If that's not possible try using the Tesla J1772 charging adaptor that is seen below, plugged into the Lectron adaptor, to see if it charges the Tesla. Normally you would never use 2 adaptors, but could help you trouble shoot whether it's the Lectron CCS adaptor or the Lightning.

Just a thought:
Tesla now sells a J1772 Wall Connector that combined with the adaptor below, might be worth considering. Sell your current Tesla Wall Connector and return Lectron Adaptor and use proceeds to buy the Tesla J1772 Wall Connector.
https://shop.tesla.com/product/j1772-wall-connector

Good Luck!

Liquid Automotive tire Camera accessory Font Cylinder

· Registered
47 Posts
Sorry to chime in on my first post in distress but I need help!!

I purchased a Lectron Tesla Charger adapter but, it’s not working. The wall unit plugs up and chargers the Tesla just fine but when I connect the to the lightning it turns blue then says charging paused.
I seem to remember somewhere that you may need to first plug in just the adapter by itself and let it negotiate with the car for a minute then plug the power source into the adapter.

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I just put in for a return and went to Tesla Tap and ordered a 50 amp that looks similar to the Lectron. I only have a 40amp breaker on my Tesla charger. I should be ok with that charge rate. I may purchase a 50 if I find it slow.

· Administrator
2021 Mustang Mach E First Edition, 2016 Nissan Leaf, 2003 Toyota Tacoma, F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
3,784 Posts
I just put in for a return and went to Tesla Tap and ordered a 50 amp that looks similar to the Lectron. I only have a 40amp breaker on my Tesla charger. I should be ok with that charge rate. I may purchase a 50 if I find it slow.
I recommend you to buy the 80A or Lightning models. If you forgetfully use this on an 80A Tesla charger, your truck will try to draw 80A through that 50A adapter. Smoke, fire, and pins melted into your new truck is not a great thing.

If you stick with the 50A, I strongly encourage you to label it well as 50A max and make sure you don't use it on a higher power EVSE.

· Registered
375 Posts
I recommend you to buy the 80A or Lightning models. If you forgetfully use this on an 80A Tesla charger, your truck will try to draw 80A through that 50A adapter. Smoke, fire, and pins melted into your new truck is not a great thing.

If you stick with the 50A, I strongly encourage you to label it well as 50A max and make sure you don't use it on a higher power EVSE.
Note that the redesigned 80 Amp mini (non-lightning) version redesigned ground plugs to be compatible with Rivian/Rav4, and will handle 20 kW. I went for this version, not sure that lightning has much else to offer besides saying "Lightning" on it.

· Registered
22 Lariat ER AMBlue
127 Posts
Note that the redesigned 80 Amp mini (non-lightning) version redesigned ground plugs to be compatible with Rivian/Rav4, and will handle 20 kW. I went for this version, not sure that lightning has much else to offer besides saying "Lightning" on it.
When I wrote in to Teslatap and asked them if there was truly a difference between the two the answer was essentially not really. I went ahead with the redesigned 80 amp versus the lightning specific have not had to use it yet. It’s designed for when we are traveling, and there’s a destination Tesla charger.

· Registered
Tesla Y, Cadillac ELR, Rivian R1T, Chevrolet Spark EV
585 Posts
Don't go over 80 percent draw of your breaker. Nothing special about lightning charger. All chargers are the same. Just different power ratings
When you say "charger", do you mean EVSE? The Lightning's "charger" is onboard, the EVSE is what you plug it into. I make that distinction because all EVSE's are not the same. In the US, there are three different types: J1772, CCS1 and NACS. The Lightning uses the J1772/CCS1 connection. The adaptor that allows you to use a NACS EVSE (what I think you are calling a charger) with the Lightning is the topic of this conversation.

· Registered
375 Posts
When you say "charger", do you mean EVSE? The Lightning's "charger" is onboard, the EVSE is what you plug it into. I make that distinction because all EVSE's are not the same. In the US, there are three different types: J1772, CCS1 and NACS. The Lightning uses the J1772/CCS1 connection. The adaptor that allows you to use a NACS EVSE (what I think you are calling a charger) with the Lightning is the topic of this conversation.
Clearly they meant EVSE, at the end of the day Charger is short for Charging Station for most folks. Regardless of accuracy, I think most folks will always call the big box on the wall with the plug that goes into a vehicle a charger, even if the smart AC/DC inverter inside the truck does the real work.
I realize you have spent some more time in the industry than most of us, but at some point the correct terminology often gives way to the popular terminology, whether we want it to or not.

· Registered
585 Posts
Clearly they meant EVSE, at the end of the day Charger is short for Charging Station for most folks. Regardless of accuracy, I think most folks will always call the big box on the wall with the plug that goes into a vehicle a charger, even if the smart AC/DC inverter inside the truck does the real work.
I realize you have spent some more time in the industry than most of us, but at some point the correct terminology often gives way to the popular terminology, whether we want it to or not.
I think you missed my point. The statement was, "all chargers are the same". Whether he meant "charger" or "EVSE", the statement is not true. Since this post was literally appended to a thread discussing the adaptors between the formats, I found it to be an odd and miss-leading statement. Unless, of course, I miss-understanding his meaning, which is why I went into exactly what I was talking about (EVSE).

Maybe I was overthinking it. :unsure:

· Registered
25 Posts
The lightning with extended battery comes with the 80 amp charger. It requires a 20 percent buffer for your breaker so 100 amp. I installed chargers 3 times in my house and had to rewire completely because the gauge of the wire and the breaker must be appropriately sized to handle the current and exceed it. Regardless if the charger is onboard or not you wiring gauge and breaker must exceed the amperage running through it regardless of whether you think it may not run that high.

· Registered
585 Posts
I just reread that your talking about ratings on the adapters. But then I read a mention of the Tesla charger being on a 40 amp breaker. So I thoroughly confused this forum lol. Sorry guys.
Sweet. I like it when I am not the only one confused. 🤪

· Registered
375 Posts
Sweet. I like it when I am not the only one confused. 🤪
Great reminder that in any case, EVSE or charger is continuous use, which means wiring, breakers, etc need to be rated for 125% of capacity. This is why you see the numbers you do with chargers, 125% of 80 is 100 amp breaker, 48 needs a 60 amp breaker, 40 needs 50 amp breaker, 32 needs 40 amp breaker, 24 needs 30 amp breaker, 16 needs 20 amp breaker.

It doesn't hurt to use an 80 amp rated adapter on any of the above mentioned systems, but you should only use a 50 amp adapter on 48 amp and less, etc. (I don't know that you'll find a 50 A EVSE, unless one is de-rated for some reason).
If you have a Lightning that is capable of 80 Amp charging, I would probably stick with the 80 amp adapter just in case you do travel with it.

Reactions: ChasingCoral

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I received the Tesla tap and it still wasn't working. I made a quick call to them and he had troubleshooting steps. My Tesla wall charger was set to only charge Tesla's :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:! I made the switch to charger all vehicles and were off to the races. I have the 50amp dongle style adaptor and I should be fine with it. I live 5 miles from a fast charger if I need it. My Tesla charger is on a 40 amp breaker/240v. I may purchase a 50a or 60a tomorrow but I'm not stressing over the charge rate at the moment. Anything is better than the 2 full days it took on the 120v regular wall charger

· Registered
372 Posts
I received the Tesla tap and it still wasn't working. I made a quick call to them and he had troubleshooting steps. My Tesla wall charger was set to only charge Tesla's :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:! I made the switch to charger all vehicles and were off to the races. I have the 50amp dongle style adaptor and I should be fine with it. I live 5 miles from a fast charger if I need it. My Tesla charger is on a 40 amp breaker/240v. I may purchase a 50a or 60a tomorrow but I'm not stressing over the charge rate at the moment. Anything is better than the 2 full days it took on the 120v regular wall charger
Make sure the gauge of your wiring will support the additional amperage allowed by a 50A or 60A breaker.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts