⚡ Ford Lightning Forum ⚡ banner
41 - 60 of 63 Posts
Are you arguing that a charger that can support 800V at 500amps (EA) is not faster than one that is limited to <600V at 350 amps (SC)?
No. I was replying to a post who suggested I charge my Tesla at the EA because it is faster than the V3 supercharger next to it. The EA station will not charge my Tesla faster than the V3 station (250kw).

Obviously (in theory) an 800v EV well charge faster at an EA 350. Real world results on the ground are a bit underwhelming on that score however.
😎

future domination plans: 20 million vehicles a year.
Yes, if they buy out Toyota they might get that, otherwise its another musk moonshot meant to pump up investors and their stock.

Regardless, Tesla is going to do the bare minimum to please the government. I don't have to worry about such things being in Canada, I have no option but to avoid the supercharger.

Can't wait for the first video of a Tesla swimfan fighting a ccs vehicle owner for superiority at the overpriced supercharger.

So it's been a month now and Tesla has not opened any more chargers?!?! :mad:

I'm pretty sure there's one in SoCal that has the magic docks. It was leaked before tesla opened up the network.

LET'S GO TESLA! :p

Discussion starter · #45 ·
So it's been a month now and Tesla has not opened any more chargers?!?! :mad:

I'm pretty sure there's one in SoCal that has the magic docks. It was leaked before tesla opened up the network.

LET'S GO TESLA! :p
My personal guess is the ones open were for testing to see how it goes, then they will open up others as they are paid NEVI money to do so.

My guess is we don't see more until July at the earliest based on many states fiscal years.

Nope. Just Santa Cruz and Placerville. None in SoCal.

the Tesla app shows new sites across upstate NY. So there is a line of magic docks from Long Island to Buffalo. Doesn’t do me much good in Texas, but I keep watching and hoping….
Yes, the initial 6 in NY increased to 8. I've heard rumors of others but nothing active yet.

Reactions: Art p
Now for the big questions: Will the MagicDock rollout continue now that Ford owners will be able to buy adapters and use Superchargers in 2024? Will we continue to use the Tesla app? Will the Blue Oval Charge Network will be one of the ways you'll be able to charge at Tesla Superchargers, perhaps providing Plug & Charge?.

So many questions!
Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Telephony Automotive tail & brake light Automotive design

Reactions: 123xyz
Discussion starter · #52 ·
Now for the big questions: Will the MagicDock rollout continue now that Ford owners will be able to buy adapters and use Superchargers in 2024? Will we continue to use the Tesla app? Will the Blue Oval Charge Network will be one of the ways you'll be able to charge at Tesla Superchargers, perhaps providing Plug & Charge?.

So many questions!
View attachment 7395

The even more interesting part of all this was Ford adopting the Tesla charging port in new models. I have to think they will will still also have CCS as well? Thoughts?

The even more interesting part of all this was Ford adopting the Tesla charging port in new models. I have to think they will will still also have CCS as well? Thoughts?
One of the items I recently read made it sound like it would be the opposite, they would ship with an adapter for CCS going forward. If i can find it again I'll link it.

I'm speculating, but it sounds to me like Ford is adopting Tesla's plug in future to get its buyers to be allowed to use Tesla's Superchargers (with an adapter) now. Tesla is likely feeling the governmental pressure to switch to CCS to facilitate a unified charging infrastructure in the US. If the second largest seller of EVs in the US market is compatible with Tesla's connector, Tesla has a lot more leverage to push for its connector to be the standard, or at least that there's no need to force it to switch since other automakers can just use both connectors.

I imagine Ford will keep the CCS connector at least as long as most non-Tesla DCFCs use it. Ford probably doesn't care much which becomes the standard connector. That's Tesla's battle to fight.

One of the items I recently read made it sound like it would be the opposite, they would ship with an adapter for CCS going forward. If i can find it again I'll link it.

Mark linked this on another thread.

Discussion starter · #56 ·

Mark linked this on another thread.
Wow, Elon just dunked on the administration. This is going to make for an interesting fight going forward. Still have to think NEVI will require CCS, but wonder where all this going.

There are operational Magic Docks on the Tesla Superchargers at Lowes on Eastchase Parkway in east Fort Worth TX.... haven't been there yet but saw on Plugshare

There are operational Magic Docks on the Tesla Superchargers at Lowes on Eastchase Parkway in east Fort Worth TX.... haven't been there yet but saw on Plugshare
Yes, that hit the news last week:

Tesla Reportedly Expands Magic Dock Availability To Texas
A Twitter post alleges installers had a rental Ford F-150 Lightning to test the new stalls.
Tesla Magic Dock Supercharger

Aug 02, 2023 at 12:11pm ET
By: Iulian Dnistran

Tesla has installed the first Supercharger stalls equipped with the so-called Magic Dock connector which offers both a NACS and a CCS connector in the state of Texas, according to the Twitter user @jaredcs, who posted several photos of the new chargers.

As per the Twitter post, the expansion occurred in Eastchase Fort Worth, Texas, where the installers used a rented Ford F-150 Lightning all-electric pickup to test the CCS functionality. Furthermore, @jaredcs said he spoke with the workers, who explained that the upgraded site is yet to be officially online – something we verified on Tesla’s official website and found to be true.

Currently, the section that reads “Superchargers Open to Non-Tesla” only shows 11 stations country-wide, with nine in the state of New York and two in California – a situation that’s been unchanged for six months.

The American EV brand announced its CCS-compatible public chargers in March but has been very slow to ramp up their availability. However, now it seems that the Elon Musk-led company is finally kicking things into high gear, possibly encouraged by the multitude of car makers that made deals with Tesla to gain access to its 12,000+ network of fast chargers in North America.

The agreements made by Ford, General Motors, Rivian, Volvo, Polestar, Nissan, Mercedes-Benz, and others specify that from 2024 they will offer NACS to CCS1 adapters that can be used at Tesla’s Superchargers. Then, from 2025, vehicles made for the North American market will get the NACS connector from the factory, doing away with the adapters.

With this being said, it’s unclear how the Austin-based maker of the Model Y all-electric crossover will manage the shift from an exclusive charging network to a system that’s open to everybody.

In related news, a report from MarcoRP, which tracks the latest charging news, says that Tesla’s upcoming Supercharger V4 stall will be capable of providing 350 kilowattsof power instead of the currently available 250 kW in the V3 version. Furthermore, V4 will reportedly get a built-in CCS1 adapter.

As always, let us know what you think about this, so head over to the comments section below to give us your thoughts.

Sorry, I should have bolded the word OPERATIONAL, as in people are actually using them now. They weren't activated for Magic Dock when that story came out.

They show up in Tesla's app now and multiple Mach E, Lightning, Rivian and other owners have successfully charged there.

Reactions: Obi66
Sorry, I should have bolded the word OPERATIONAL, as in people are actually using them now. They weren't activated for Magic Dock when that story came out.

They show up in Tesla's app now and multiple Mach E, Lightning, Rivian and other owners have successfully charged there.
Thanks. I missed that word OPERATIONAL! That is progress.

I see it now in my Tesla app:
Ecoregion World Map Font Parallel

41 - 60 of 63 Posts