⚡ Ford Lightning Forum ⚡ banner

Official Magic Dock Installation Thread

8K views 62 replies 18 participants last post by  ChasingCoral 
#1 ·
Hello all,

The day has come; magic dock is here! Wow, I never thought the day would come, but you just can't understate the importance of this moment. Out of spec already has a YouTube video:

So, as magic docks are installed in your area, please post them here and let us know! Also, post your experiences using them.

Discussion starter · #3 ·
I hope that Plugshare will come up with a "Magic Dock" filter, or "Charge Your Non-Tesla" if copyright restricted. This seems to work, although you have to set the filters yourself:
Plugshare –> Filters –> Plugs (1 of 9) –> CCS/SAE –> Networks (Toggle All Off), then –> Networks (1of 25) –> Tesla

I'm not smart enough to figure this out. I don't see Tesla in network, or are they "supercharger?"

Discussion starter · #21 ·
Couple notes from SOC on his Tesla experience worth pointing out:

1. It looks like Corals 120 kw output is about what to expect. The funny part is that is faster than what most 800v architecture cars will get. Kyle from out of specs has a video on that.
2. Charging cable length is an issue as expected. You almost have to run into the charger or any barriers to get it to reach.

Discussion starter · #45 ·
So it's been a month now and Tesla has not opened any more chargers?!?! :mad:

I'm pretty sure there's one in SoCal that has the magic docks. It was leaked before tesla opened up the network.

LET'S GO TESLA! :p
My personal guess is the ones open were for testing to see how it goes, then they will open up others as they are paid NEVI money to do so.

My guess is we don't see more until July at the earliest based on many states fiscal years.

Discussion starter · #52 ·
Now for the big questions: Will the MagicDock rollout continue now that Ford owners will be able to buy adapters and use Superchargers in 2024? Will we continue to use the Tesla app? Will the Blue Oval Charge Network will be one of the ways you'll be able to charge at Tesla Superchargers, perhaps providing Plug & Charge?.

So many questions!
View attachment 7395

The even more interesting part of all this was Ford adopting the Tesla charging port in new models. I have to think they will will still also have CCS as well? Thoughts?

Discussion starter · #56 ·

Mark linked this on another thread.
Wow, Elon just dunked on the administration. This is going to make for an interesting fight going forward. Still have to think NEVI will require CCS, but wonder where all this going.

Discussion starter · #62 ·
So, just noted 2 new magic dock locations in Minnesota!!!! Alexandria and Monticello, both on I-94 between Fargo and Minneapolis. I know I'll use the Alexandria one at some point as I usually cut through that area of Minnesota a least once a year on my way fishing or visiting old friends in Duluth. The Monticello one is about where the guy got stranded that got all the press.

Now, please, please, please Elon, hurry up and open the chargers in Watertown and Sisseton, SD!!!!