⚡ Ford Lightning Forum ⚡ banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a brand new member so this topic may well have been covered, but I want to make sure that Lightening owners know that Sunrun will ship the Pro Charger (that is included in the MSRP) to them at no cost once they get the VIN. Call Sunrun (‭(855) 341-0237‬) and ask them to ship the charger to you. They are totally nice about it.

I live in a remote rural locale and want nothing to do with a national company that, among other things, wants to upsell me. I'm sure Sunrun has no capacity to do this install. The 80amp ProCharger must be installed by an electrician with charger expertise.

I have been over-producing electrons from a PV array for 16 yrs. For the first ten years the util sent me checks (net metering). Since then, they've been banking my excess generation -- I now have 3 yrs of consumption stored. I'm 72 and don't want to meet my maker without using all the excess electricity I've generated. Once I get my ProCharger installed, I'm inviting pals to juice up -- I might throw in beer.

· Registered
295 Posts
I am a brand new member so this topic may well have been covered, but I want to make sure that Lightening owners know that Sunrun will ship the Pro Charger (that is included in the MSRP) to them at no cost once they get the VIN. Call Sunrun (‭(855) 341-0237‬) and ask them to ship the charger to you. They are totally nice about it.

I live in a remote rural locale and want nothing to do with a national company that, among other things, wants to upsell me. I'm sure Sunrun has no capacity to do this install. The 80amp ProCharger must be installed by an electrician with charger expertise.

I have been over-producing electrons from a PV array for 16 yrs. For the first ten years the util sent me checks (net metering). Since then, they've been banking my excess generation -- I now have 3 yrs of consumption stored. I'm 72 and don't want to meet my maker without using all the excess electricity I've generated. Once I get my ProCharger installed, I'm inviting pals to juice up -- I might throw in beer.
That is awesome! I'll be over for a free charge :D

· Registered
82 Posts
talke to Sunrun today. Unless you are having Sunrun install the charger, they can't release/ship it until they get notice from Ford that the vehicle is actually sold. Will talk to my dealer about what needs to be done to make that happen.

· Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
talke to Sunrun today. Unless you are having Sunrun install the charger, they can't release/ship it until they get notice from Ford that the vehicle is actually sold. Will talk to my dealer about what needs to be done to make that happen.
You're right, that's why I said "once they get the VIN". That can take a week or two after a buyer takes possession.

· Registered
68 Posts
Since getting my Truck and Installing the Pro Charger, I went from 25% surplus every month on my solar to -35%. I had 10MW saved up before I went all electric with my vehicles. Now im down to 200Kw. im 3 months in. Maybe wait to invite others till you see how much you will actually draw

· Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That's comforting! The Tesla doesn't draw that much. Last time I looked the util had banked over 20K kWh. Our monthly PV generation averages around 600kWh; our consumption pre BEV averaged 480kWh. We burned trough our 10 years of getting net metering checks for the overproduction around 5 years ago. I hope you're right. I have a Rivian on order!

· Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Zip code probably - Sunrun does not operate in all states and in some states not in entire state.
It's not location dependent. Sunrun's Lightning page (EV Charging | Intelligent Backup Power | Solar Energy System | FORD F-150 LIGHTNING™ | Sunrun) has FAQs that make it clear you don't have to use them. The second to last one says:
"Ford F-150 Lightning™ customers can choose any installation provider of their choice. Home Integration System hardware is required to enable Ford Intelligent Backup Power and will be available for purchase without Sunrun installation. Home Integration System should be installed by a licensed electrician."

My dealer had no idea I didn't have to use Sunrun. Sunrun itself was very easy to deal with.

· Registered
2023 Lightning Lariat ER, 2018 Tesla S, 2018 Tesla 3, 2011 Nissan Leaf
10 Posts
I never even talked to Sunrun. I just filled out the web form. Two weeks later it arrived. I did not get a shipping notice like the confirmation popup said but it did arrive via FedEx, signature required.

· Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks so much for the form link. I didn't know it existed. I promise my dealer was convinced that there was no way around Sunrun. I'm sure they are delighted not to install where I live -- there is no way they wouldn't lose money given my rural location. Heck there are hardly any Electrify America chargers in the whole state (NM) -- we've got size (5th largest); just hating for population.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts