⚡ Ford Lightning Forum ⚡ banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Great reporting here from Car and Driver, finally getting confirmation from Ford about the size of the battery packs in the Lightning.

I won't pretend to be an expert on this, but I'm pleasantly surprised that the batteries packs, while definitely large, aren't as massive as I expected -- meaning the Lightning appears to be pretty efficient.

The Standard Range pack is 98 kWh and should return 230 miles (in ideal conditions), while the Extended Range pack is 131 kWh and good for 300 miles. This is compared to the Hummer EV which is claiming 350 miles of range from a gargantuan 200 kWh pack. So again, the Lightning will be hauling huge batteries around, but they're offering usable range without requiring the resources we're seeing from GMC.
Building Engineering Motor vehicle Machine Auto part

· Registered
57 Posts
My best guess is F 150 will manage 2.2 to 2.5 miles per kilowatt. So all the speculation about 1000 pounds in trunk bla bla is just bull crap. I have 3 EV in my stable and I can confirm there is now way to squeeze more that 2.5 miles per Kw from F 150.

· Registered
57 Posts
I am not sure Ford will offer 95% usable battery in early builds. May be Ford learn a thing or two from Mach e experience. I think by size and weight compared to Rivian. I would be happy with 2.2 to 2.4 miles per Kilowatt.
All the ICE cars and trucks I owned so far was 10 to 15 % off EPA range. EVs are no exception.

· Administrator
2021 Mustang Mach E First Edition, 2016 Nissan Leaf, 2003 Toyota Tacoma, F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
3,090 Posts
So based on your post: 131 kW at 95% useable = 124.5 kW; at 2.7 kW/mile = a range of 336 miles. 2.5 kW/mile will be 311 miles. Did I do the math correctly? I think Rivian was the same, estimated 300 mile range and ended up with EPA estimate of 315.
Time to do your math again. The 98 and 131 kWh values listed by Ford were useable. That means the total capacity is bigger than that.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.