⚡ Ford Lightning Forum ⚡ banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Administrator
2021 Mustang Mach E First Edition, 2016 Nissan Leaf, 2003 Toyota Tacoma, F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
3,837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ford just started sending these out. Most everyone with a reservation probably received it:
Tire Car Land vehicle Wheel Vehicle

(unless it's a Dear John letter and Ford is breaking up with you ;) )

This is consistent with what @fordvideoguy said in his announcements about 2023 ordering:

· Registered
2 Posts
Got the same email. BEYOND frustrated. Had my order in 05/20, within 1 day of the initial reveal. With recent pricing increases, the only option that still makes any kind of sense is the XLT base.

I would still buy that trim, but if my wave is indeed early summer and with waves coming every 2-3 months I may only have 1, maybe 2 chances to snap up one of those XLTs that seem to be in such high demand.

Now, do people with more inside info than me think it's just a generic email and it does not indicate where my actual invite to place an order happens to be or did someone get the same email saying winter or spring? If everyone just got early summer, then perhaps there is hope I get invited a bit earlier and even if XLT passes me by on a first attempt, I might get a couple more cracks at it. Has anyone figured out a method by calling ford, tweeting Ford Customer service, calling your dealer anything to get an invite to order sooner?

Absolutely no transparency about how the decision who gets to order get made. Just atrocious.

· Registered
Tesla Y, Cadillac ELR, Rivian R1T, Chevrolet Spark EV
592 Posts
Yes, it is a generic email. It is confirmation that production numbers should be high enough by summer to clear the cues. As forthright as I would really expect any manufacturer to be, and frankly I'm not sure what more one could expect. Deeply personalized service? Sorry, you are ordering a Ford, not a Bugatti.

· Registered
2 Posts
Yes, it is a generic email. It is confirmation that production numbers should be high enough by summer to clear the cues. As forthright as I would really expect any manufacturer to be, and frankly I'm not sure what more one could expect. Deeply personalized service? Sorry, you are ordering a Ford, not a Bugatti.
It's "queues", a completely different word than "cues", sort of analogous but even more distinct to the difference between "affect" and "effect".

I was not expecting personalized service, just a semblance of reasoned order for the process. Based on the gripes expressed in this forum and elsewhere, I am far from alone in this respect.

· Registered
592 Posts
It's "queues", a completely different word than "cues", sort of analogous but even more distinct to the difference between "affect" and "effect".

I was not expecting personalized service, just a semblance of reasoned order for the process. Based on the gripes expressed in this forum and elsewhere, I am far from alone in this respect.
Yep. You are correct. One of the hazards of voice to text in between other tasks.

Ford does not control all the moving pieces. They do seem like they are making their best effort to ramp up production, and to improve their dealer model for EVs. Mass producing vehicles is much more difficult than the average person appreciates. As a general rule Ford has done a better job than many others, and given all the factors, that includes this vehicle.

You are mad because you cannot get the vehicle you want when you want it. First world problems. That's all I'm saying.

· Registered
6 Posts
Morning
Re: #11177333 - 08/17/2021 Reserve Date - CA 92505

My email says Summer 2023 ordering. I am struggling with the price hike. I do have the XLT model, probably the base trim only at this point. Hoping for sooner. Will keep everyone posted.
Good luck to us all! Happy Holidays

· Registered
2 Posts
No excuse for this level of service. Received an an email in early October stating my turn is coming soon. Mid December saying by summer of 2023. Originally $39k Pro model with 3 price increases to $55k. And ford has been making cars for over 100 years…really

· Registered
2023 Lariat ER
41 Posts
I'm skeptical Ford can ramp up production that fast, they basically did 13k trucks in 2022 but say they will do 150k in 2023?! It’s Ford so they know what they are doing, but that is one hell or a ramp up.
I hope the resale value doesn’t drop too much when supply increases. I would hate for the $88k Lariat we are all paying in 2022-23 to drop under $70k when supply and demand finally meet in the middle. Great for new buyers but it’s going to suck for us early adopters.

· Registered
592 Posts
I'm skeptical Ford can ramp up production that fast, they basically did 13k trucks in 2022 but say they will do 150k in 2023?! It’s Ford so they know what they are doing, but that is one hell or a ramp up.
I hope the resale value doesn’t drop too much when supply increases. I would hate for the $88k Lariat we are all paying in 2022-23 to drop under $70k when supply and demand finally meet in the middle. Great for new buyers but it’s going to suck for us early adopters.
All the more reason to not pay over MSRP.

The price drop has already started. My local dealer has started selling lot units for MSRP, & is considering under MSRP for orders.

· Administrator
2021 Mustang Mach E First Edition, 2016 Nissan Leaf, 2003 Toyota Tacoma, F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
3,837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yes. Ford tore out a wall while they were starting full-scale production so they could double the building. They never said they would build 150,000 in 2023. They said that they would reach a build rate of 150,000 in mid-2023.

· Registered
592 Posts
... and that rate is in excess of 400 vehicles per day. This is a production rate that Ford is very familiar with, and should not have difficulty achieving. It also shines a light on why it is so difficult to compete as a start up.😳

· Administrator
3,837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
... and that rate is in excess of 400 vehicles per day. This is a production rate that Ford is very familiar with, and should not have difficulty achieving. It also shines a light on why it is so difficult to compete as a start up.😳
If Ford can get the parts they need.

It’s funny. A third of the folks out there don’t believe Ford can ramp up that fast and another third think a company that has never built cars can do it tomorrow.

• Helpful
Reactions: Busted and R.I.P.

· Registered
113 Posts
So ASSUMING it is true that all 200,000 reservations holders will offered an order of a MY 2023, I am wondering what the conversion rate is?

With price increases, resale values dropping, and no Pro model, or XLTs, I assume conversion rates would drop fast. And drop even more as competition comes on strong by MY2024.

Someone here said it was 47% for waves 1-4.

Or maybe Fords wants convert reservations to orders before a viable alternative comes to market?

· Administrator
3,837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Speculate away. That 47% estimate was way back at the start of ordering. Ford is unlikely to give out the real numbers.

· Registered
38 Posts
As soon as the math on flipping tipped over, I’m sure the conversion rate dropped dramatically. I think some people thought that they could treat reserving and flipping new models as source of income. It was actually not a bad thought in a strong economy, with very little cash tied up in the reservation and fully refundable as soon as the opportunity for profit has passed.
It hate to see multiple manufacturers jumping on this reservation model. Based on every attempt I have seen to date, it just ends up disappointing a lot of potential customers and making them bitter and resentful towards the brand going forward.

· Registered
592 Posts
As soon as the math on flipping tipped over, I’m sure the conversion rate dropped dramatically. I think some people thought that they could treat reserving and flipping new models as source of income. It was actually not a bad thought in a strong economy, with very little cash tied up in the reservation and fully refundable as soon as the opportunity for profit has passed.
It hate to see multiple manufacturers jumping on this reservation model. Based on every attempt I have seen to date, it just ends up disappointing a lot of potential customers and making them bitter and resentful towards the brand going forward.
If I may, a counterpoint.

I started ordering cars from the factory and waiting for them to be slotted, built and delivered way before any of these manufacturers were building EVs. The last ICE that I factory ordered and waited for was a factory-custom Roush Edition Mustang. I spent weeks going over the details with both the dealer and the factory, and waited months for the car to be built. Then I had to wait for the shipping; all experiences you on this list are familiar with. I loved every part of the experience, loved that my car was a "one off" from the factory, and am only sad that I no longer have it. I have gone (almost) all electric, so alas, it had to go to make room for my electric toys.

I find this process much preferable to going onto a lot and buying something that is close to exactly what I want. I am not in a hurry, I want something special. For those in a hurry, there are lots of vehicles sitting on lots.

It was an easy and familiar process, albeit much streamlined, when I started ordering Teslas online. I waited for my number to come up and then to have it built. I have to say that I enjoyed the experience enough that I kept doing it (I am on my 4th).

There. You are now aware of at least one person that is not "bitter or resentful of the brand" just because I have the privilege of being in line for a desirable, and (at least for now) unique vehicle.

· Registered
38 Posts
If I may, a counterpoint.

I started ordering cars from the factory and waiting for them to be slotted, built and delivered way before any of these manufacturers were building EVs. The last ICE that I factory ordered and waited for was a factory-custom Roush Edition Mustang. I spent weeks going over the details with both the dealer and the factory, and waited months for the car to be built. Then I had to wait for the shipping; all experiences you on this list are familiar with. I loved every part of the experience, loved that my car was a "one off" from the factory, and am only sad that I no longer have it. I have gone (almost) all electric, so alas, it had to go to make room for my electric toys.

I find this process much preferable to going onto a lot and buying something that is close to exactly what I want. I am not in a hurry, I want something special. For those in a hurry, there are lots of vehicles sitting on lots.

It was an easy and familiar process, albeit much streamlined, when I started ordering Teslas online. I waited for my number to come up and then to have it built. I have to say that I enjoyed the experience enough that I kept doing it (I am on my 4th).

There. You are now aware of at least one person that is not "bitter or resentful of the brand" just because I have the privilege of being in line for a desirable, and (at least for now) unique vehicle.
Yes, but you came into the process knowing how it would work and having realistic expectations. Based on the chatter on social media and forums, many people believed that the Lightning would be 100% first come, first served, with no preferential deliveries to ZEV states, no dealership allocation/prioritization variables and that Ford would build whatever model mix people wanted to order at the original advertised price, no matter how long it took to fill their reservation, without regard to rampant inflation.
Of course many of those same customers seemed to believe that they would be able to get 325 miles of range, in the coldest winter, towing 10,000 lbs up a mountain at 85 mph :)

· Registered
592 Posts
Yes, but you came into the process knowing how it would work and having realistic expectations. Based on the chatter on social media and forums, many people believed that the Lightning would be 100% first come, first served, with no preferential deliveries to ZEV states, no dealership allocation/prioritization variables and that Ford would build whatever model mix people wanted to order at the original advertised price, no matter how long it took to fill their reservation, without regard to rampant inflation.
Of course many of those same customers seemed to believe that they would be able to get 325 miles of range, in the coldest winter, towing 10,000 lbs up a mountain at 85 mph :)
Yes, what you point out is a level of ignorance in how the automotive manufacturing and sales process works. It is this level of ignorance that keeps dealerships like Mock Ford, in Grants Pass Oregon in business. It is mind-bending to me that they get away with what they do, but the percentage of the public that is not paying any attention allows it.

"Automotive enthusiasts" are better equipped for how things are changing, because we tracked the latest Corvette through 24 months of development and then stood in line to get one. If necessary, we drove halfway across the country to get one from a dealer that would not gouge us, and were happy to do it. It felt like beating the system.

Although it seems like there are a lot of us waiting for our electric Ford, GMC and Tesla pickups, we are actually a pretty small cross section of the populace. Those that did not come into this process as "automotive enthusiasts" have by necessity jumped onto that learning curve. They now know more. You now know things we enthusiasts take for granted. The question is, what do you do with this new knowledge?

Option one:
Armed with your shiney new understanding of how things really work, you may wish to wade into the ranks of the informed enthusiast, learning and using this knowledge to further your enjoyment of the wonders that are our automotive industry. Seriously, I am not making fun of it; I am a huge fan of our automotive history, and we are in the middle of one of the biggest upsets and changes it has ever seen. It is thrilling to be a part of it, even if these days it is mostly as a spectator.

Option two:
Not everybody nerds out on cars (and trucks) the way I and my fellow enthusiast do. No worries, many do not find cars as interesting as I do. Instead, some are fans of, well, Kardashians, & other stuff. For those that find themselves in this second category, yes; the bleeding edge of automotive history is going to frustrate them. Maybe take a step back, there will be plenty of Lightnings on Ford lots in 12 months. Those more comfortable with the traditional dealership transaction will then find themselves in more familiar territory.
:)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts