⚡ Ford Lightning Forum ⚡ banner

Would you want the ability to watch movies in the Infotainment?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have a Mach E and since it is their first EV, the infotainment doesn't have much in the way of "Apps". But as I've started planning road trips and plotting out where to stop to charge, I would like to do something other than walk around while I wait. One of the recent times I brought my tablet and we watched an episode of something while we waited.

Obviously the aspect ratio of the display isn't suited for movies and such but I felt it would be a "nice to have". There has been some bad press because of Tesla allowing this feature to run during vehicle operation (which I don't like or agree with) and I feel like this bad press is going to screw it up for others that don't get Teslas. I don't know if any other manufacturer has this capability; none of the reviewers I've watched have shown that.

As a side note, my current vehicle has Sync 3 and the capability to play music from a USB stick. I was very disappointed that I was not able to do this in the Mach E, or at least nothing I tried worked. This irritated me more when the wireless android auto crapped out and wouldn't reconnect, so I was stuck listening to the radio. I wish I had the USB option. And it isn't the best time to play around trying to get the wireless system to work again while you are driving.

What is the general consensus, don't care? want more?

Also, I know there is some funky way of backdooring the infotainment to view media (at least I think I saw that) and it is too early for me to want to attempt something that could brick the device.

· Registered
Model 3 AWD, Lightning Lariat on order
630 Posts
I have this capability in a current car and don't use it. Video would be of very little value to me other than a party trick. It would not be playable while the vehicle is in motion. Might be a benefit to some during charging stops, etc.

Reactions: 2023 lighting

· Registered
2015 Ford F-150
61 Posts
As a side note, my current vehicle has Sync 3 and the capability to play music from a USB stick. I was very disappointed that I was not able to do this in the Mach E, or at least nothing I tried worked. This irritated me more when the wireless android auto crapped out and wouldn't reconnect, so I was stuck listening to the radio. I wish I had the USB option. And it isn't the best time to play around trying to get the wireless system to work again while you are driving.
I do the same in my current F-150 and my Wife does in her 2020 Explorer too. That would be very disappointing if the USB wasn't always there as a fall back.

· Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I do the same in my current F-150 and my Wife does in her 2020 Explorer too. That would be very disappointing if the USB wasn't always there as a fall back.
I don't know, maybe the portable BT speaker in the Rivian isn't such a bad idea :D I prefer my Sonos.

· Registered
218 Posts
I think it should be included given it seems it would be easy to add the software. However if I drive 300 miles I'm going to want to get out and walk around. And other than that I don't generally hang out in my truck. I just use it for coming and going.

I should add, for those using the truck for work it should be capable for video conference and computer display while parked!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.