⚡ Ford Lightning Forum ⚡ banner

Help! Lightning Does Not Fit In My Garage!

5K views 30 replies 20 participants last post by  LutzPSBC 
#1 ·
Cleaned out my garage last night and my lightning is about 7 inches too long. Can't quite close the garage door.

Thoughts on how to make her fit?

I have an HVAC system on the interior garage wall so gaining an extra few inches by cutting into the wall is not an option.

Maybe getting a garage door that attaches to the outside of the house instead of the inside of the garage?

I've also considered getting 24" ramps which would pull the rear wheels forward into the garage once the truck is angled up. But how would I calculate how many linear inches I'll gain from a 24" vertical gain? The attached ones from Race Ramps seem like a good product and are rated at 6,000 lbs.

Any ideas or anyone know how to calculate how many inches I'd gain using the ramps?
Tire Wheel Car Automotive parking light Vehicle

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
The two foot ramps would either put my garage door opener through the roof of the Lightning or ceiling of my garage. It lives outside until I can build something better.

#4 ·
Without doing the math or any in-situ measuring myself, I can't imagine that any reasonable height of ramp is going to make the truck fit. In fact, it's actually likely to make the truck longer. As the nose rotates upward, the total horizontal length becomes the hypotenuse of the triangle formed by the front bumper, the rear bumper, and the top of the tailgate. The measurement from the front bumper to the top of the tailgate may be a slightly longer measurement than just front bumper to rear bumper.

Looks like your real choices are either very expensive home remodeling or just parking outside.

#7 ·
I hope you have a good garage door company. They'll want to know what won't fit in the garage and you'll tell them or show them the Lightning, but when having work like that done I like to move the truck and historically the Tesla's. We call it the Tesla tax. As soon as someone sees that in the garage, it just seems prices always get a little steeper.

#13 ·
Many years ago I lived in Minneapolis and it was always a joke about the garages all being too small. In many parts of town the garages were all built for the Model T. As cars got bigger everyone had to modify their garages. There were two common ways to do this. Most common was bumping out the lower half of the front wall of the garage so the nose of the car would tuck in a little further. This doesn't sound like an option for you. The second fix was to remove the big garage door and frame around the door opening to extend the garage door framing. The top of the new frame was slanted and covered with shingles just like the roof. These extensions were never more than 12 to 18 inches. A new garage door was mounted on the new frame extending the useful length of the garage.

#22 ·
I need several inches to fit in my garage. Thankfully I have a false wall at the back. It hides the stairs leading down to the basement. If weather is that big an issue (and my wife wouldn’t fight it) I could remove the wall and gain all the space I need. The actual back garage wall is close enough that I’d have to try really hard to get the back wheels anywhere near going down into the stairwell. Unless I missed it post a pic if you get the carriage doors installed

#24 ·
HAHAHAHAHAHA, you must’ve heard some of my wife’s driving stories. I should knock on wood. She hasn’t had any incidents in her Outback. Her Prius we had to replace both front and rear bumper in the first year. She loves hitting curbs. Hence why we have an Outback now. Small but durable.

#26 ·
I'm not worried about fires and I think that people who claim EVs are prone to catching on fire are gaslighting, no pun intended. But considering that very very remote possibility, should a vehicle fire ever occur, seems to me this is not something you want to park in your garage, even if you can. And, it's a truck, not a museum piece

#27 ·
Huh? There are videos all over the internet showing phone and laptop batteries starting on fire. Then we have stove fires, clothes dryers start on fire, chimneys start on fire, wires in your walls can start on fire and this time of year the worst is Christmas tree fires. All of these have the very very remote possibility of starting a fire. Should we move these all outside?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.