⚡ Ford Lightning Forum ⚡ banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

· Registered
2022 Ford Lightning XLT SR, Stone Grey Metallic
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone else having this problem? It's only happened a couple of times, but a couple of times too often.

Thanks!

2022 XLT SR

· Administrator
2021 Mustang Mach E First Edition, 2016 Nissan Leaf, 2003 Toyota Tacoma, F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
3,584 Posts
Is the “light” coming on?

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Not sure, most likely tho. Why do you ask?

I wonder if Ford software programmers are aware. Does anyone know if there is a function to advise Ford of issues. Besides dealers.

· Administrator
2021 Mustang Mach E First Edition, 2016 Nissan Leaf, 2003 Toyota Tacoma, F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
3,584 Posts
Not sure, most likely tho. Why do you ask?

I wonder if Ford software programmers are aware. Does anyone know if there is a function to advise Ford of issues. Besides dealers.
You mean like asking @Ford Motor Company about your issue? That’s why they monitor the forums.

· Registered
83 Posts
Anyone else having this problem? It's only happened a couple of times, but a couple of times too often.

Thanks!

2022 XLT SR
It happens if I set a departure time with the cabin set to warm. The light is on for the heated steering wheel but it won't work even if I turn it on and off. If I don't set a departure time and just turn it on, it works fine.

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It happens if I set a departure time with the cabin set to warm. The light is on for the heated steering wheel but it won't work even if I turn it on and off. If I don't set a departure time and just turn it on, it works fine.
OK. The first time it happened I turned the truck off and on and it worked. The last time it happened it didn't work.

Thanks

· Registered
2022 F-150 Lightning Lariat
11 Posts
Also having this issue intermittently. Light comes on but no heat. The times I've noticed it have been after the last 2 software updates. Doesn't work for a bit, then starts in again, after driving and then shutting down for a while. Also had an issue after the GOM update where my nav was in km instead of miles but everything else was still in miles. That required me going to the settings and change the truck to km and then back to miles.

· Registered
322 Posts
I figured there is a bug - I can reproduce this problem very easily…

set a depart time and warm, truck will warm up no problem but once you come in, the steering wheel is cold asf…doesn’t matter if you turn the button on or off…cycle the truck on or off…

but it resets itself once you park the truck for a while…

starting from the app heats up the steering wheel no problem and same if you are just using the truck normally - on/off cycles.

due to this bug I have abandoned departure times and just remote start for 30min

· Registered
14 Posts
Just got my Lightning yesterday. Heated steering worked then. Today, no dice. It's cold, I'm low on range (L2 charger not installed yet, so I'm only using the 120V super-duper-slow charge), so not sure if there is some sort of prioritization? I can't imagine, because the Ford website says to use heated seats and steering wheel and reduce cabin temps to increase battery range. Was I that low on charge that it decided to shut off the heated wheel? But then I see SOOOO many people with the same issue, it must be software related, or this is a massive defect...

· Registered
803 Posts
I think it is reproducible when using a scheduled departure time instead of doing a remote start warmup when you're ready to leave. The heated wheel doesn't seem to come on again until it's been left for awhile, possibly go to sleep before the wheel starts heating again. The steering wheel light shows it is on with no heat coming from the wheel.

· Registered
14 Posts
I think it is reproducible when using a scheduled departure time instead of doing a remote start warmup when you're ready to leave. The heated wheel doesn't seem to come on again until it's been left for awhile, possibly go to sleep before the wheel starts heating again. The steering wheel light shows it is on with no heat coming from the wheel.
That seems to be a common pattern. I tried out the departure setting today, and the steering wheel heat did not work, even after multiple stops and re-starts. We will see if it happens tomorrow, I have deleted all departure settings from the app.

· Registered
322 Posts
Just got my Lightning yesterday. Heated steering worked then. Today, no dice. It's cold, I'm low on range (L2 charger not installed yet, so I'm only using the 120V super-duper-slow charge), so not sure if there is some sort of prioritization? I can't imagine, because the Ford website says to use heated seats and steering wheel and reduce cabin temps to increase battery range. Was I that low on charge that it decided to shut off the heated wheel? But then I see SOOOO many people with the same issue, it must be software related, or this is a massive defect...
do you have a 2023?! Legit question since the heated steering wheel was removed from it…

· Registered
45 Posts
I’ve got the same issue. Does not work if departure time set. Resets after 30 min shut down. Works fine if truck started from app or just started cold.
So my question is, does the battery condition it self if starting from app. My gutt feeling from reading posts is that it does not.
Kind of a catch 22.

· Registered
14 Posts
I’ve got the same issue. Does not work if departure time set. Resets after 30 min shut down. Works fine if truck started from app or just started cold.
So my question is, does the battery condition it self if starting from app. My gutt feeling from reading posts is that it does not.
Kind of a catch 22.
On day 2 of ownership, I set the preferred departure time, and the heated steering wheel didn't work. After reading the forums and subreddits, I removed the departure time. Several days later, and it STILL does not work. I keep the car plugged in when home, and have been remote starting it. Not sure if that's related, but others have said that they only experience the issue if they set a preferred departure time, but otherwise it works. Seems I"m not so lucky, I can't get it to work at all anymore.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts