⚡ Ford Lightning Forum ⚡ banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm wondering if the base Lightning Pro can be hacked for "2 wheel rear drive only" for extended range? For us drivers living in the dry flat lands, extended range would be preferred over 4 wheel electrical drive. Thinking that a smart aftermarket manufacturer could come up with a ball-bearing front wheel conversion package, remove the front drive electrical motors (or by-pass them), thereby cutting the available power from 426hp to 213hp rear wheel drive only, and thereby extending the range significantly? Or, better yet, make it a switchable 2 wheel/4 wheel drive system?

·
Registered
72 Posts
This seems like it should be totally doable and you'd think Ford would offer it as an option to save folks from having to mess around too much.
I wonder what kind of efficiency gains you'd see. The other EVs I can think of where there's two models with equal batter capacity and the only difference is 2wd vs. AWD are WAY more aerodynamic than the Lightning - is it possible it wouldn't bring much extra range? I genuinely have no idea.

·
Registered
Model 3 AWD, Lightning Lariat on order
626 Posts
This would be a simple driving mode. I will get in trouble if I dive into the specifics, however I believe it is the type of motor Ford is using, it does not do well just spinning - not engaged. This is why you can't flat tow these trucks. I would think they could reduce power to one motor though and add a driving mode for efficiency.

Tesla did this, but I believe it was the cars they had an induction motor in the front and a permanent magnet motor in back perhaps. Again, I'll get in over my head in what I remember, but there may be limitations on what Ford can do because both motors are of the same type.

Reactions: 2023 lighting

·
Registered
667 Posts
Again, I'll get in over my head in what I remember, but there may be limitations on what Ford can do because both motors are of the same type.
You got it just fine. Ford could have put an smaller induction motor in front instead of using two identical permanent magnet motors. There's probably a reason they didn't. I'll dive in over my head and guess and say it's probably for competent off-roading.

Reactions: GDN

·
Registered
988 Posts

·
Administrator
2021 Mustang Mach E First Edition, 2016 Nissan Leaf, 2003 Toyota Tacoma, F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
2,988 Posts
You got it just fine. Ford could have put an smaller induction motor in front instead of using two identical permanent magnet motors. There's probably a reason they didn't. I'll dive in over my head and guess and say it's probably for competent off-roading.
One word: Power!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts