⚡ Ford Lightning Forum ⚡ banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know some people made it to the reservation holder event to look at the Lightning. Was there any discussion or mention of improvements to the app side of things?

We have the Mach E and will soon be coming up on a year of use. In general I like the infotainment but there is a lot lacking. I'm not coming from a Tesla background, just other things I've heard.

For instance, I would really like to be able to control the climate system from the Ford app. Based on the Mach E, I should be able to control the power frunk and tailgate from the app - is that true?

Has there been any, AT ALL, discussion about allowing more entertainment features, like watching movies? (I don't care about the aspect ratio). They can already limit the usage when the car is in motion because loads of other features are not available. I think this is a big miss imo, because of road trips and times at chargers. Sure I can get up and go walk around, yada yada, but I'd like the option to just sit in the car and watch something while I wait.

Or simple games. I have android auto and a few times now I've sat in the car and played a puzzle game while I waited for someone. However I don't want to depend on Android Auto because the connection between the two systems craps out from time to time and I'm not sure if that is because of Ford, Android auto, wireless connection or my phone. I'm thinking it is a combo of it being wireless and android auto though. I do really hate that I can't use a usb stick for music like in my mustang gt.

I'm just not sure how committed they are to improving that aspect of the vehicle experience. The Lightning is going to be my road trip/commuter vehicle and I'd like some options there.

· Registered
4 Posts
I tweeted at Mike Levine about this months ago and never got a response (he does sometimes reply to Ford questions on his twitter). The good news is that with Over the Air updates this is the type of thing they could implement anytime without updating the hardware I would think. All I confirmed with my dealer this week in regards to the Ford Connect App is that you'll be able to lock/unlock/remote start your Lightning from the app (regardless of Trim level).

· Administrator
2021 Mustang Mach E First Edition, 2016 Nissan Leaf, 2003 Toyota Tacoma, F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
3,088 Posts
The Lightning models with the 15.5” screen all have Sync 4A like the Mach E and will continue to be improved through Power Ups. The latest in the Mach E updated some critical modules, improved scheduling of future updates, and added a couple of games. Ford Pass can now open the Mach E frunk on later production cars (and will work on earlier carts with an upcoming Power Up) and will open the Lightning frunk from the start.

Sync 4A is a significant change from Sync 4, the latter just being an updated Sync 3.

Reactions: MacMerritt

· Registered
Model 3 AWD, Lightning Lariat on order
630 Posts
This is one of the biggest concerns. How much will Ford listen and improve the experience for their buyers. I tell myself I don't want to bring a Tesla slant to my posts, but it will always happen, we have two of them and for good reason. They listen and they improve, they lead. They improve most every car they have on the road continually by adding features that are simple to do with software.

Of the coolest features, while totally not required, but the Mach E and Lightning should have the capability is to open the garage door automatically when you drive up. You set your home location in the GPS, the navigation knows where you are, when you are within x number of feet from your door it triggers homelink - garage door opens. Is it required? No Can I press the button? Sure - it all works just well that way. But why not automate it. Make it happen. Something like that is not rocket science. Just do it. It's about delivering the extra and making your customer smile.

On another forum or two I've read about the software updates for those that now have the capability in the existing F150's. The communication from Ford is horrible. Sounds like no sure way to know when you have an update waiting. No need for it - just be up front about it. I get notifications when I have an update to download. If I'm not home I connect to my phone hotspot and download. I see I have an update waiting from the app, I can trigger it and watch the progress right on the app.

I don't need Ford to copy Tesla every step of the way, but if you've got a leader and you are chasing, at least give a little value. It might even be nice to see Ford lead some innovation. The integrated scales are a very nice one there for the Lightning.

· Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This is one of the biggest concerns. How much will Ford listen and improve the experience for their buyers. I tell myself I don't want to bring a Tesla slant to my posts, but it will always happen, we have two of them and for good reason. They listen and they improve, they lead. They improve most every car they have on the road continually by adding features that are simple to do with software.

Of the coolest features, while totally not required, but the Mach E and Lightning should have the capability is to open the garage door automatically when you drive up. You set your home location in the GPS, the navigation knows where you are, when you are within x number of feet from your door it triggers homelink - garage door opens. Is it required? No Can I press the button? Sure - it all works just well that way. But why not automate it. Make it happen. Something like that is not rocket science. Just do it. It's about delivering the extra and making your customer smile.

On another forum or two I've read about the software updates for those that now have the capability in the existing F150's. The communication from Ford is horrible. Sounds like no sure way to know when you have an update waiting. No need for it - just be up front about it. I get notifications when I have an update to download. If I'm not home I connect to my phone hotspot and download. I see I have an update waiting from the app, I can trigger it and watch the progress right on the app.

I don't need Ford to copy Tesla every step of the way, but if you've got a leader and you are chasing, at least give a little value. It might even be nice to see Ford lead some innovation. The integrated scales are a very nice one there for the Lightning.
I think it is absolutely fair to bring Tesla into this conversation. Whatever anyone can say about them (I have my issues), they get it right when it comes to the infotainment. Especially when it is that large. I didn't agree with anyone being able to view media while the car is in motion. But recently I was sitting at a charger with my wife, with time to spare, and we watched a tv show on the tablet we brought. I wish I could have watched on the infotainment. Even if the aspect ratio isn't optimal.

This change in the car interior is all focused on these screen now and you have to keep up. And even more than that, I was complaining about my previous car because it wasn't display information about the engine that rivals did. I loved the car but they could have done small things that make the experience better.

• Love
Reactions: GDN

· Registered
Model 3 AWD, Lightning Lariat on order
630 Posts
I think it is absolutely fair to bring Tesla into this conversation. Whatever anyone can say about them (I have my issues), they get it right when it comes to the infotainment. Especially when it is that large. I didn't agree with anyone being able to view media while the car is in motion. But recently I was sitting at a charger with my wife, with time to spare, and we watched a tv show on the tablet we brought. I wish I could have watched on the infotainment. Even if the aspect ratio isn't optimal.

This change in the car interior is all focused on these screen now and you have to keep up. And even more than that, I was complaining about my previous car because it wasn't display information about the engine that rivals did. I loved the car but they could have done small things that make the experience better.
I agree with you and will note here for those that don't know, and I think this is huge. Tesla has no 3rd party brand on their sound system. Many have researched for years and no one really knows who even makes their speakers. It seems they may even been designed in-house. The amps are built onto the computers inside the car, and the stereo kicks ass. Likely one of the best in the any auto, especially considering it is done in house and doesn't have some 3rd party name on it that demand some royalty for everyone that goes out the door.

I've forgotten the count, but the 3 and Y alone since day 1 have 3 speakers across the dash, one in each of the 4 doors, at least 4 tweeters up high I believe and a sub in the trunk. I may have missed a couple from just quick reference without going to look it up. The sound is clear and sharp and has a punch. It won't satisfy anyone that wants to spend several thousand after market on their system and claim to be a true audiophile, but I bet it will outdo most anything Ford has ever considered putting in a truck - even the 18 speaker B&O.

Those are kinds of the things that separate Tesla and what are giving the stodgy traditionalists something to chase.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.