·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ford warns dealers taking advantage of F150 Lightning reservation holders

·
Registered
4 Posts
Cool - I moved my reservation because of this. My dealer was going to add $10k to MSRP (not as bad as others that mentioned +$30k, or asking for additional downpayment). A little further away, but a good reason to have a nice long test drive on the way home :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Wow, preventing the customer from selling their truck is an interesting move… i’m not sure I’ve heard of that before.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Wow, preventing the customer from selling their truck is an interesting move… i’m not sure I’ve heard of that before.
Who ever heard of vehicles significantly appreciating in value after retail sale before the current chip shortages and supply chain challenges? Personally, I would have no problem signing a clause like that if it meant that I could convert my reservation to a confirmed MSRP, no BS order.

·
Registered
11 Posts
it’s interesting… I get wanting to stop scalping… On the other hand if someone drops 100K on their truck and then either really dislikes it or can’t afford payments on it and they can’t sell it for a year that could be problematic for the customer as well. I am personally trying to swap out my 2019 F150 platinum for this truck… but if I really don’t like it for some weird reason, I’m not sure I would like to be prevented from selling it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
No-Sale provision. Are you kidding me? Now, they're going to mark them up, make you jump through hoops to get one, only to tell you that you can't sell it within the next year if you want or need to?? This is just getting stupid.

Ford will sell a bunch of these things, but between them and dealer's tactics that so many are sick and tired of, they're also burning a lot of bridges along the way. Forced into a $9,500 option package just to get an extended range battery. Going to charge you up to $30,000 over sticker. Then, if you lose your job, go bankrupt or just simply realize you hate the thing after having had for a month or two, now you can't get rid of it for a year!

All this for an outdated style ICE converted truck that looks like every other plain jane F-150 out there. No real off-road capability. $95,000 for the top spec. The Hummer or Silverado at just over $100,000 are starting to feel more reasonably priced. The Rivian become a bargain at $69,000.

Happy to be moving on from this fiasco.

·
2021 Mustang Mach E First Edition, 2016 Nissan Leaf, 2003 Toyota Tacoma, F-150 Lightning reserved
517 Posts
My dealer has two Broncos at $30k over sticker
There's a big difference between how they price customer orders and how they price vehicles in stock.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My guess is that the dealership and your own visibility to the public have quite a bit of influence here. If your name happens to be John Cena (or insert some other high profile name here) you're so well known that you're inviting trouble. If you have a valid reason to get rid of the truck, I'm sure the dealership would be more than happy to negotiate purchasing it back form you. They would absolutely love to have a used Lightning on the lot they can sell for whatever markup they can get. Secondly, if you get your financing through your own bank, how would they know. With rates as they are right now, you can get better financing from your local credit union than you would from Ford Motor Credit. I think they want 5% for 60 months. My local Police and Fire credit union is offering 2.38%. A private sale is just that, private.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts