⚡ Ford Lightning Forum ⚡ banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Automotive parking light Car Automotive tail & brake light Tire Wheel

Official numbers from Ford! These are the EPA estimates for all models, confirming the leaks and rumours we saw last week, showing Form met (or beat) all its internal range targets.

F-150 Lightning (Targeted EPA-estimated Range)F-150 Lightning (Final EPA-estimated Range)
F-150 Lightning Pro SR: 230 milesF-150 Lightning Pro SR: 230 miles
F-150 Lightning Pro ER (Fleet only): 300 milesF-150 Lightning Pro ER (Fleet only): 320 miles
F-150 Lightning XLT SR: 230 milesF-150 Lightning XLT SR: 230 miles
F-150 Lightning XLT ER: 300 milesF-150 Lightning XLT ER: 320 miles
F-150 Lightning Lariat SR: 230 milesF-150 Lightning Lariat SR: 230 miles
F-150 Lightning Lariat ER: 300 milesF-150 Lightning Lariat ER: 320 miles
F-150 Lightning Platinum: 280 milesF-150 Lightning Platinum: 300 miles

·
Administrator
2021 Mustang Mach E First Edition, 2016 Nissan Leaf, 2003 Toyota Tacoma, F-150 Lightning reserved
1,694 Posts
Ford nailed the SR range estimates and exceeded the ER range estimates. Here's the rest of the article (from https://media.ford.com/content/ford...ford-f-150-lightning-epa-estimated-range.html):

FORD CONFIRMS F-150 LIGHTNING FINAL EPA-ESTIMATED RANGE FOR ALL MODELS AHEAD OF CUSTOMER DELIVERIES IN THE SPRING
MAR 21, 2022 | DEARBORN, MICH.

In Ford’s efforts to continuously improve over time, some F-150 Lightning customers will benefit from an increase in range ahead of launch this spring. The all-new, all-electric F-150 Lightning has completed final EPA testing. F-150 Lightning XLT and Lariat trims with the extended range battery take you an EPA-estimated range of 320 miles while the F-150 Lightning Platinum has an EPA-estimated range of 300 miles. Fleet customers have the option to purchase the extended range battery on Lightning Pro and that has an EPA-estimated range of 320 miles.

F-150 Lightning (Targeted EPA-estimated Range) F-150 Lightning (Final EPA-estimated Range)
F-150 Lightning Pro ER (Fleet only): 300 milesF-150 Lightning Pro ER (Fleet only): 320 miles

We are laser focused on continually improving our energy consumption efficiency for Lightning and the team is really happy to deliver these results for our customers, said Linda Zhang, chief program engineer, F-150 Lightning.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Ford nailed the SR range estimates and exceeded the ER range estimates. Here's the rest of the article (from https://media.ford.com/content/ford...ford-f-150-lightning-epa-estimated-range.html):

FORD CONFIRMS F-150 LIGHTNING FINAL EPA-ESTIMATED RANGE FOR ALL MODELS AHEAD OF CUSTOMER DELIVERIES IN THE SPRING
MAR 21, 2022 | DEARBORN, MICH.

In Ford’s efforts to continuously improve over time, some F-150 Lightning customers will benefit from an increase in range ahead of launch this spring. The all-new, all-electric F-150 Lightning has completed final EPA testing. F-150 Lightning XLT and Lariat trims with the extended range battery take you an EPA-estimated range of 320 miles while the F-150 Lightning Platinum has an EPA-estimated range of 300 miles. Fleet customers have the option to purchase the extended range battery on Lightning Pro and that has an EPA-estimated range of 320 miles.

F-150 Lightning (Targeted EPA-estimated Range)F-150 Lightning (Final EPA-estimated Range)

We are laser focused on continually improving our energy consumption efficiency for Lightning and the team is really happy to deliver these results for our customers, said Linda Zhang, chief program engineer, F-150 Lightning.
Nice. Wonder whether the drop in range from XLT/Lariat ER to Platinum is purely based on the 22" wheels & tires (in which case there's a pretty easy way to pick up a few more miles in range).

·
Administrator
2021 Mustang Mach E First Edition, 2016 Nissan Leaf, 2003 Toyota Tacoma, F-150 Lightning reserved
1,694 Posts
Nice. Wonder whether the drop in range from XLT/Lariat ER to Platinum is purely based on the 22" wheels & tires (in which case there's a pretty easy way to pick up a few more miles in range).
Most guesses are that it is primarily the larger wheels and different tires, and also some added weight from accessories.

·
Registered
214 Posts
On the topic of range, anyone considering removing the spare tire to save some weight? I am used living without one from other EVs I’ve owned and was thinking this may be a good way eliminate weight and increase range and hauling capacity.

·
Registered
656 Posts
On the topic of range, anyone considering removing the spare tire to save some weight? I am used living without one from other EVs I’ve owned and was thinking this may be a good way eliminate weight and increase range and hauling capacity.
I thought about that but the time I'll need the majority of that range is on a road trip....when I could potentially use the spare.

Reactions: corradoborg

·
Registered
Model 3 AWD, Lightning Lariat on order
496 Posts
I think there can be some validity to that for smaller cars and batteries. I may not understand the ratio and what those savings might be, but truly I don't think removing the spare from a truck this size with the bad efficiency it has will make any real difference. Not enough for me to find myself without a spare anyway.

Reactions: corradoborg

·
Administrator
1,694 Posts
Tire and wheel are probably about 60 pounds. The lightest Lightning is a Pro SR at 8250 pounds. Removing the spare reduces weight by 0.73%.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I hadn't considered that but I think I'm going to keep the spare on my truck. I don't know how much of a difference it'll make for range.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Correct me if i'm wrong, but a tonneau cover will help to a meaningful extent with air drag in the bed of a truck. Aero wheels on a tesla give you roughly 20mi more, so drag is a significant factor.

·
Registered
10 Posts

·
Administrator
1,694 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Good point I was thinking GVWR. If we assume a Pro SR with 2000 pound payload, curb is probably about 6,171, so that raises the weight impact of the spare to a whopping 0.97%
That almost one percent. In the world of performance and EVs every pound counts. 😁 Another forum said F-150 wheels weigh 83.1 lbs.
I am just brainstorming how to maximize range. Around 300 is plenty if you have access to charging infrastructure. 99% of the time I charge at home.

·
Registered
406 Posts
That almost one percent. In the world of performance and EVs every pound counts. 😁 Another forum said F-150 wheels weigh 83.1 lbs.
I am just brainstorming how to maximize range. Around 300 is plenty if you have access to charging infrastructure. 99% of the time I charge at home.
From that stats I have seen most EV owners can get by on just a full overnight charge at home.

·
Registered
214 Posts
From that stats I have seen most EV owners can get by on just a full overnight charge at home.
I commute about 50 miles a day. I never charge past 90% at home unless I’m going on a trip. So most days I’m charging somewhere between 20 and 30% to get back to 80 or 90% of the batteries capacity. They always tell you how long it’ll take to charge the battery from empty. With a 300 mile range Most people will never be empty when they plug it in at the end of the day.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Around 300 is plenty if you have access to charging infrastructure. 99% of the time I charge at home.
This brilliantly states why expanding DCFC infrastructure is such a difficult business model. There are millions of home 'refineries' in the USA.

·
Registered
656 Posts
I believe the tonneau cover has been myth busted. Google myth busters.
There is an official study on multiple trucks with and without tonneau covers, and a bed cover does make a difference. I liked myth busters but that is a reality tv show.

"On average, it is safe to say that a tonneau cover will reduce the coefficient of drag by 5.73% (based on the thirteen different tonneaus we tested.)"

Lightning will have skid plates and aero wheels and fit aftermarket tonneaus.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts