⚡ Ford Lightning Forum ⚡ banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since May of last year, Ford has been tweaking the Lightning webpage as they're willing to make new details available to us. One big change I noticed recently is that they've selected SunRun as the "preferred installer" of Ford's home charging solutions, including the Ford Charge Station Pro. However SunRun's website (waaaaay at the bottom) informs you that SunRun only operates in 22 states currently....How do we all feel about this? I worry that using a local electrician is going to be a headache and it's creating some doubt that it will be done properly. Picture is a screen grab from SunRun's website.
Water Azure Rectangle Font Circle

·
Registered
7 Posts
There's really 2 schools of thought that I've had in my head on this one.

#1.) For simple installation of the charging unit to your home, it's about as simple as installing a dryer outlet with properly sized wiring, breakers, and termination point configuration. Someone who's done a Tesla charger or 2 would be very familiar with any relevant codes specific to EV in your area (and any requirements there may be to physical locations, etc. that the inspector would want to see). This is a simple question or 2 you can ask when reaching out to electricians in your area to determine who you want to perform the work.

#2.) The bi-directional charging hardware requirements need some clarification on what exactly the hardware configuration is going to be. There has been some discussion on the forum of some of the requirements, and many homes may require SUBSTANTIAL electrical modifications to the incoming service, meter, and panel to enable this feature (let alone the installation of the new hardware). I was a big fan of the idea of the bi-directional hardware, but my home is my first (read: starter) home, and I'm likely not investing the capital required in upgrading from 200A service on a 2,300 sq ft house, if indeed 320A minimum service is what is required. That said, I have seen no official documentation or electrical drawings to know that will be required (please if someone has/knows an online source, please share). That kind of upgrade to your electrical service may very well require substantial cooperation with the utility provider, local codes enforcement agency, and the electrician themselves. And because power would be off for a substantial amount of time to upgrade service, that's a big deal for you and the family (if applicable).

I myself live in TN, so I'm in the boat with no coverage by SunRun.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Wiring for a charger is easy. As others have stated, it is basically a dryer outlet (60A to 6 wire to 14-50 outlet). If you want to go the other way the Lightning will feed somewhere between 9.4 to 9.6 KWH to a home. That's only about 40 amps if my math is correct. One could manually build an interlock.

Amazon, panel interlock

Alternatively, you could order an XLT large battery at $17,000+ or a Lariat 511A and automate everything. I'm guessing an electrician will be $1,500 to $2,500 to install it depending on the wire runs they have to make.

I have no idea what it would cost to add a new service to step up from 200A to something else.

·
Registered
38 Posts
There's really 2 schools of thought that I've had in my head on this one.

#1.) For simple installation of the charging unit to your home, it's about as simple as installing a dryer outlet with properly sized wiring, breakers, and termination point configuration. Someone who's done a Tesla charger or 2 would be very familiar with any relevant codes specific to EV in your area (and any requirements there may be to physical locations, etc. that the inspector would want to see). This is a simple question or 2 you can ask when reaching out to electricians in your area to determine who you want to perform the work.

#2.) The bi-directional charging hardware requirements need some clarification on what exactly the hardware configuration is going to be. There has been some discussion on the forum of some of the requirements, and many homes may require SUBSTANTIAL electrical modifications to the incoming service, meter, and panel to enable this feature (let alone the installation of the new hardware). I was a big fan of the idea of the bi-directional hardware, but my home is my first (read: starter) home, and I'm likely not investing the capital required in upgrading from 200A service on a 2,300 sq ft house, if indeed 320A minimum service is what is required. That said, I have seen no official documentation or electrical drawings to know that will be required (please if someone has/knows an online source, please share). That kind of upgrade to your electrical service may very well require substantial cooperation with the utility provider, local codes enforcement agency, and the electrician themselves. And because power would be off for a substantial amount of time to upgrade service, that's a big deal for you and the family (if applicable).

I myself live in TN, so I'm in the boat with no coverage by SunRun.
If you find something, do share. I am in neighboring KY and situation is similar. Wave 1 order Lariat+ : house already has ChargePoint setup. But with ford giving the 80 A version; opens new possibilities.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I was looking at the installation of the 60amp circuit last night for my house. With the length required from my panel in the basement to the garage (about 70’) I’ll upgrade to 4 gauge wire. The wire looks to be under $2 per foot online, but still over $500 in just wire. Probably $700 with the breaker and conduit, then another $800 for the L2 48amp charger.

I’ll have to inquire with the power company about upgrading from 100amp to 200amp service. I have an unused 50amp circuit to the backyard that was for a spa, currently has a plug for an RV. I’m looking at adding solar with a power wall and some mini splits for AC, so plenty of electrical work to come. Fortunately the boiler, oven, stove, and dryer are all natural gas.

·
Registered
PRO Iced Blue Silver - Tow Tech, Max Tow, 9.6kw ProPower
189 Posts
I think the idea of 'whole house' power from your truck is alluring, it's really probably out of most owner's reach, unless you have deep pockets and were planning on spending $10,000 on a Generac whole house generator already - yes, there's little 'info' about all of the requirements to make this work. From a 'sales' perspective, though, Ford has certainly made us ALL aware of the possibilities that this fantastic truck can give us, but EVERYONE is in a different home, with different wiring, with different codes, and with different budgets. When it comes to installing a system to allow for bi-directional flow of power, it's NOT very simple.
For instance, if you have a basic 100amp power service to your home, which is 240v service split over two 100amp breakers, giving you access to either 100amps of 240v power, or 200amps of 120v power, or in most cases a combination of the two, you are going to need a place for a double-pole 50amp breaker for this power to come into your home, which may be a problem of it's own if you don't have room. If you have to 'upgrade' your existing panel, chances are an electrician is not going to simply replace it with another 100amp panel, but are going to advise you that now you need to upgrade your whole service to 200amp - which might involve your utility company, a larger panel, etc. The wiring needed to go from the 80amp Pro Charger system to the home's panel will also need to be added, which will not be cheap, and may for some folks mean a LONG run of 240v heavy wiring. Also, since Sunrun is 'selling' this system, and even if you don't live in a state that they currently install in, you'll need to have your electrician purchase it from them, at THEIR price, and also pay your electrician to install all of this. If Sunrun's price is $5,000.00, I could easily see the electrician's cost to be similar, with time, labor, codes, permits, expertise, and the commodities involved.

I think I'll start by simply using extension cords from the truck into my home, if the worse case happens, and I doubt I'll ever see any real need to invest so heavily in such a 'what if' need. : )

·
Registered
78 Posts
I was looking at the installation of the 60amp circuit last night for my house. With the length required from my panel in the basement to the garage (about 70’) I’ll upgrade to 4 gauge wire. The wire looks to be under $2 per foot online, but still over $500 in just wire. Probably $700 with the breaker and conduit, then another $800 for the L2 48amp charger.

I’ll have to inquire with the power company about upgrading from 100amp to 200amp service. I have an unused 50amp circuit to the backyard that was for a spa, currently has a plug for an RV. I’m looking at adding solar with a power wall and some mini splits for AC, so plenty of electrical work to come. Fortunately the boiler, oven, stove, and dryer are all natural gas.
If you are looking at adding solar, you are going to be limited to about 5-6kW array size if the system is grid tied with a 100A service. With all of the additional electrical load you are planning, a 200A upgrade is probably a good idea. I recently had my panel upgraded from a very old panel and it was about $3k.

·
Administrator
2021 Mustang Mach E First Edition, 2016 Nissan Leaf, 2003 Toyota Tacoma, F-150 Lightning reserved
1,674 Posts
The good news is that if you are considering adding solar, most everything you require for bidirectional power is part of a solar installation. What’s why Ford is working with SunRun. The big exception might be the 400A service. However, I would guess it would be required for solar with battery backup as the Lightning basically acts like a bank of Power Walls.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I had a 10kw solar system + 2 powerwalls installed by sunrun in CA. I did it through costco and ended up getting $4k+ back in costco cash cards in the end. The system was pretty expensive, but they did a relatively good job. Sunrun was pretty bad on comms though, and I never did get CA rebates for the batteries, partially to blame on sunrun for just being slow in general.

·
Registered
157 Posts
It's been about a month since the first post of the thread - has there been any clarity around what will happen for folks not in a SunRun area? I'm not holding my breath on them doing anything in my state any time soon...

·
Registered
78 Posts
It's been about a month since the first post of the thread - has there been any clarity around what will happen for folks not in a SunRun area? I'm not holding my breath on them doing anything in my state any time soon...
You’ll need to order the Home Integration Kit and have an electrician install it. That’s all we know at this point. If you are getting solar installed at the same time, I’d have the solar installer handle the installation of the kit. The kit is supposed to be available this spring. We don’t know what it will cost.

·
Administrator
2021 Mustang Mach E First Edition, 2016 Nissan Leaf, 2003 Toyota Tacoma, F-150 Lightning reserved
1,674 Posts
I recommend you reach out to SunRun and give them your information. They will reach out this spring to find out your details to give you a better idea of the actual costs.

Reactions: Voltz

·
Registered
284 Posts
The cost for the hardware, yes. The cost for installation? Not so much. But it's fair to call out that the hardware cost is itself useful, just not complete.
Maybe you're not seeing the image with the first post that states, "Sunrun will provide installation (and solar services) in the 22 states +DC where Sunrun operates with referral or other installation options made available for all other areas." It sounds to me like it wouldn't be a wasted call.

• Love
Reactions: taxmanhog

·
Registered
157 Posts
Maybe you're not seeing the image with the first post that states, "Sunrun will provide installation (and solar services) in the 22 states +DC where Sunrun operates with referral or other installation options made available for all other areas." It sounds to me like it wouldn't be a wasted call.
I did see the image. Referral isn't a price number, it's a pointer to another installer. That's not worth a call at this stage.

It's a wasted call right now.

·
Registered
157 Posts
OK, well, I called, against my better judgement, and they said "there's no one I can send you to". "If you aren't in a state that we do, there's nothing we can do for you." So they didn't even offer the possibility of a referral.

So yeah, it was a wasted call.

It's possible that the salesperson just didn't know what they were talking about, of course. But that doesn't change that the call was wasted.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts