⚡ Ford Lightning Forum ⚡ banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read somewhere Ford has some patents on a toolbox like battery pack to extend EV range, and I would anticipate at some point aftermarket designs will have something like another battery pack you could "plug in". Weight of battery packs likely being a significant issue.

The other thought process I've heard is just packing a gas or propane generator to use at stops where it's practical to have a generator run over night to charge.

Anyone planning to use a generator for those areas where a 15A 120V plug isn't going to cut it and the charging network hasn't really reached yet?

Also, any current EV users ever charge at a dealership? What's that experience like?

·
Administrator
2021 Mustang Mach E First Edition, 2016 Nissan Leaf, 2003 Toyota Tacoma, F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
2,398 Posts
Also, any current EV users ever charge at a dealership? What's that experience like?
I have no plan to carry a generator. Most places you can find an L2 charger or 14-50 240v outlet at a campground. A generator will only get you L2 (overnight) charging.

Ford dealers generally have L2 chargers, so you are unlikely to charge there. Some other dealerships have DC Fast Chargers but may suggest you charge elsewhere if you neither have their brand nor are actively shopping for one of their cars.

·
Registered
351 Posts
I carried a generator in the bed of a EV conversion truck that I drove 20 years ago, because I was a very early adopter. The range was much less back then, as was charging station availability. These days, charging stations and range being what they are, the generator makes a lot less sense. It takes a long time to get any range in using a generator. The exception would be if going to a very remote area, for instance for camping, and you are a very long way from the grid.

I also live off grid and drive an ev. The solar array used to charge my EV is twice the size of the array that powers the home. Just for reference.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I carried a generator in the bed of a EV conversion truck that I drove 20 years ago, because I was a very early adopter. The range was much less back then, as was charging station availability. These days, charging stations and range being what they are, the generator makes a lot less sense. It takes a long time to get any range in using a generator. The exception would be if going to a very remote area, for instance for camping, and you are a very long way from the grid.

I also live off grid and drive an ev. The solar array used to charge my EV is twice the size of the array that powers the home. Just for reference.
What size array do you use to charge your EV on?

·
Registered
Current: 2020 Lincoln Aviator, 2018 Honda CRV. Ordered: 2022 Lightning Platinum Star White.
45 Posts
I've read somewhere Ford has some patents on a toolbox like battery pack to extend EV range, and I would anticipate at some point aftermarket designs will have something like another battery pack you could "plug in". Weight of battery packs likely being a significant issue.

The other thought process I've heard is just packing a gas or propane generator to use at stops where it's practical to have a generator run over night to charge.

Anyone planning to use a generator for those areas where a 15A 120V plug isn't going to cut it and the charging network hasn't really reached yet?

Ford Patents Portable Battery Packs For EVs, Electronic Devices
Ford Patents Portable Battery Packs For EVs, Electronic Devices (fordauthority.com)

·
Registered
PRO IcedBlueSilver - TowTech, MaxTow, 9.6kwProPower: RECEIVED Aug23rd
361 Posts
as an EV owner, 2015 Nissa Leaf, with max 70 mile range on a good day, I still see no reasonable reason to 'carry' a fuel-based generator as a 'back up' for those who fear they will not have charging options, or will run 'out' of power somewhere - it's just becoming too unlikely.
Think about it - you'll need a generator, and one that has a 240v output, which will NOT be small and light. You'll need a LOT of fuel, since you'll need to charge for a LONG time at only 10-20amp output at 240volts, which you'll have to manage, keep topped off, and will also add to the WEIGHT of the truck, which DECREASES your mileage! It's just not reasonable, though some will do it anyway, out of fear more than out of practical reasons.

We've had this discussion with EVs revolving around why they don't have 'solar panels on the roof', or why they don't have an 'alternator to recharge the battery while driving', or why they don't carry a small 'generator' for emergency needs, etc.... none of those are viable options. They all degrade the mileage of the vehicle to the point that they provide no additonal help beyond what you've already lost in transition.

Well, after saying all that, there IS an answer to all this fear: a hybrid.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My question is more on the practical side of what can you do with an EV, not so much whether I should get one or not.

A real world scenario for me will be driving a 200-250 trip one way, in an area without any rapid chargers (and only one L2 charger at a Wal-mart) from what I can find. At the destination will be 15A 120V receptacles, and I will likely be able to install a 50A 240V circuit to use the mobile charger practically. But if I’m visiting somewhere without a L2 charger capability in this scenario, what options do I have (besides get an ICE, hybrid, bicycle, rocket or teleporter ;))?

·
Registered
489 Posts
The weight dilemma always fascinates me when you see stuff like this. How much range are you losing to use something like this, to theoretically gain more range? LOL
My question is more on the practical side of what can you do with an EV, not so much whether I should get one or not.

A real world scenario for me will be driving a 200-250 trip one way, in an area without any rapid chargers (and only one L2 charger at a Wal-mart) from what I can find. At the destination will be 15A 120V receptacles, and I will likely be able to install a 50A 240V circuit to use the mobile charger practically. But if I’m visiting somewhere without a L2 charger capability in this scenario, what options do I have (besides get an ICE, hybrid, bicycle, rocket or teleporter ;))?
Any campgrounds? Use you mobile charger for a Level 2 charge. Granted, ideally that would be overnight.

·
Administrator
2021 Mustang Mach E First Edition, 2016 Nissan Leaf, 2003 Toyota Tacoma, F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
2,398 Posts

Have you checked PlugShare for chargers and their details? I'm surprised to hear about a Walmart with an L2. Electrify America stations at Walmarts are DC Fast Charge.

What state do you live in?

Remember that the Lightning will come with an EVSE (charger) that will work on L1 (110v) and L2 240v on a NEMA 14-50 outlet.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Have you checked PlugShare for chargers and their details? I'm surprised to hear about a Walmart with an L2. Electrify America stations at Walmarts are DC Fast Charge.
My mistake, it is a 50-150kw charger at Walmart. It's about 135 miles from my destination, so counting on using it exclusively could be dicey on a round trip.

What state do you live in?
Texas, and large parts of Texas have good coverage with chargers. I'm looking more in the smaller town areas of North East Texas (zip 75662). Most chargers I see there are dealer based.

·
Registered
PRO IcedBlueSilver - TowTech, MaxTow, 9.6kwProPower: RECEIVED Aug23rd
361 Posts

your scenario is really no different than someone who 'fears' that they will travel and run out of GAS with no fuel stations in sight. It happens, but it's very, very, very rare. The same for EVs. You're not going to LET your EV get that low before you make plans on where and how to handle it - but, by the way, most any building or home has a 120v outlet, worst case scenario - otherwise, PLAN, but don't fret it.

·
Administrator
2,398 Posts
My mistake, it is a 50-150kw charger at Walmart. It's about 135 miles from my destination, so counting on using it exclusively could be dicey on a round trip.

Texas, and large parts of Texas have good coverage with chargers. I'm looking more in the smaller town areas of North East Texas (zip 75662). Most chargers I see there are dealer based.
Electrify America stations always (currently) have one charger with a 50kW CHAdeMO coupled with a 150kW CCS. The rest are either 150kW or 350kW CCS chargers. However you’ll normally only charge to 80-90% State of Charge.
Good news is there are some L2s in the destination zip code but you’ll really be better off charging at your destination, even if it just gets you back to the EA station.

Reactions: bobrosco
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.