Ford Lightning Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have an off grid camp about 100 miles from home with no EV charging available during the trip. So I need the truck loaded up with my family and gear towing a trailer with two ATVs or my 17’ boat able to get there and bring us home. The last 35 miles is a winding, hilly gravel road. If the range can’t do it I’ll be stranded on the side of the road with no cell service.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi from southern Ontario (rural southwestern). For planning purposes you can assume 50% range reduction while towing, so it won’t make the round trip without charging.

Lots of options though. Charge with a generator, get a Jeep Grand Cherokee 4xe plug-in-hybrid, wait for the Silverado EV with a longer range…

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have a generator however it only has 120 volt outlets. At 3 miles per hour I need several hours to make a difference. It’s forcing me towards the hybrid F150. I was hoping to get away from an ICE engine. Until more charging points are available I will have to wait to go full EV.

·
Registered
295 Posts
I have an off grid camp about 100 miles from home with no EV charging available during the trip. So I need the truck loaded up with my family and gear towing a trailer with two ATVs or my 17’ boat able to get there and bring us home. The last 35 miles is a winding, hilly gravel road. If the range can’t do it I’ll be stranded on the side of the road with no cell service.
With all that weight that might be pushing your range, especially if you can't charge along the way or at your campsite. Towing takes a good chunk of range away from an EV. Do you go there in the winter? because that's another thing to factor as well.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I do go there in the winter typically towing one snowmobile. Also the gravel part, the last thirty miles is only plowed occasionally. I have seen times where I’ve had to drive there plowing through 8 inches of snow in 4x4.

·
2021 Mustang Mach E First Edition, 2016 Nissan Leaf, 2003 Toyota Tacoma, F-150 Lightning reserved
280 Posts
no chance of that working well for you unless you have a way to charge at your camp - hybrid F150 is a better plan
I think you are overstating the situation. Once we have real range information, especially the impact of towing, we will be able to make a much more informed decision. For now, statements like "no chance" really should take the form of opinions as it is far to early to state it as fact.

·
2021 Mustang Mach E First Edition, 2016 Nissan Leaf, 2003 Toyota Tacoma, F-150 Lightning reserved
280 Posts
Hi from southern Ontario (rural southwestern). For planning purposes you can assume 50% range reduction while towing, so it won’t make the round trip without charging.

Lots of options though. Charge with a generator, get a Jeep Grand Cherokee 4xe plug-in-hybrid, wait for the Silverado EV with a longer range…
You know what they say about "assume". We'll need more information before 50% reduction is a certainty.

·
280 Posts
I do go there in the winter typically towing one snowmobile. Also the gravel part, the last thirty miles is only plowed occasionally. I have seen times where I’ve had to drive there plowing through 8 inches of snow in 4x4.
That would definitely be a bigger challenge.

·
Registered
11 Posts
You know what they say about "assume". We'll need more information before 50% reduction is a certainty.
“Your mileage may vary” but even if it’s only 25%, there isn’t enough of a cushion there for a 200-mile round trip without charging at the destination.

That being said, a 240v generator could add 10-20 miles of range an hour which might be enough. Yes OP would be burning gas sometimes to charge an EV, but it’s not an unreasonable alternative to gassing up a Hybrid F-150 all the time.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I definitely need to research generators and upgrade the one that I have. It would be a simple fix. Also it would be a reasonable fix considering going to camp is only about 5% of the total mileage on my truck. It would also be a temporary fix if charging systems become available in the small communities I drive through to get there.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts