⚡ Ford Lightning Forum ⚡ banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Ford Mustang GT Premium, 10 speed auto, Roush supercharged
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A local electrician stopped by my house this morning to talk with me about the 2022 Lightning I ordered and the EV chargers that may be used with it.

This electrician has done several jobs for me at the house to include all the electrical work associated with the installation of my 16Kw Generac whole house, back-up generator. This electrician also did all of the electrical work (LED lights and electrical service) to the pole barn that I use as a shelter for my travel trailer. He has also installed several EV chargers around town (Tesla and others). Bottom line: In my view, he is very knowledgeable and competent in all things residential electrical.

After we talked for a short time, we looked at where I thought I wanted the 80A Ford Charge Station Pro installed. In no time, he developed a plan for running 100A service to my detached garage and for hard-wiring the 80A charger at the desired location.

Within the next couple of days, I expect to receive a detailed email estimate from him to accomplish the work we discussed. Even though my new Lightning may not show up until mid-summer, my garage will be ready. My electrician will do all the electrical installation work that he can and then return when I have the 80A charger in my possession.

Trust me, I am excited! Cheers. Lou from Georgia.

·
Registered
14 Posts
A local electrician stopped by my house this morning to talk with me about the 2022 Lightning I ordered and the EV chargers that may be used with it.

This electrician has done several jobs for me at the house to include all the electrical work associated with the installation of my 16Kw Generac whole house, back-up generator. This electrician also did all of the electrical work (LED lights and electrical service) to the pole barn that I use as a shelter for my travel trailer. He has also installed several EV chargers around town (Tesla and others). Bottom line: In my view, he is very knowledgeable and competent in all things residential electrical.

After we talked for a short time, we looked at where I thought I wanted the 80A Ford Charge Station Pro installed. In no time, he developed a plan for running 100A service to my detached garage and for hard-wiring the 80A charger at the desired location.

Within the next couple of days, I expect to receive a detailed email estimate from him to accomplish the work we discussed. Even though my new Lightning may not show up until mid-summer, my garage will be ready. My electrician will do all the electrical installation work that he can and then return when I have the 80A charger in my possession.

Trust me, I am excited! Cheers. Lou from Georgia.
Whats the plan for how the backup generator or the lightning power will back up the home? Super redundancy for sure but sounds like it'll need multiple transfer switches in the appropriate configuration. Curious because I have a similar scenario as you. Thanks!

·
Registered
PRO Iced Blue Silver - Tow Tech, Max Tow, 9.6kw ProPower
190 Posts
Lou, I'm also running my own charger wiring today to my carport where my new Lightning will park each night - making use of the included future Ford 32amp 240v charger. Coming from full-timing in our 50amp motorhome for many years and wiring my own 50amp service many times, it's really easy.

I thought about this a lot yesterday, though, as to whether there would ever be a need to 'upgrade' to anything more than that in the future, or, really, if there is actually any practical 'need' for MORE power than that - I'm sticking with the simple 32a charger that Ford is including with the truck.
I find that also having owned an EV for several years, an 'old school' 2015 Nissan Leaf, with maybe 70 'miles' per full charge, that it's not realistic to think that I will EVER need to charge my 230mile truck any faster than the simple 32amp 240v Level 2 charger will easily provide.

I understand that many new to EVs may jump to the conclusion that you 'need' to be able to charge your truck 'fast', but the realistic everyday operation and usage of an EV probably will probably NEVER warrant that.
When you arrive and plug in each evening, from work, for example, your truck will be charging, all that time, until you need to use it again. It's likely you're also not arriving home with 0% battery power, but probably with the MAJORITY of battery power you originally left with, since most of us don't really drive 'that far'.
You might even go back and forth to work for the week, and even include a weekend drive for a night out, and STILL have more than half your battery power, or over 100 miles.
The ONLY time you really ever need 'fast charging' is when you are traveling, AWAY from home, and have the need to get somewhere many, many miles away.

Also, on another note, there is actually no need to have a 80amp charger to make use of the power of the truck to provide power to your 'home', although it looks as if Ford and Sunrun are promoting that as THE way to do it, though it's probably only to more easily 'integrate' the automated version of the whole-house charging option.

Now, if you are a contractor, using the truck to go many, many miles everyday to a work jobsite, having 2 or 3 employees riding with you, carrying work tools, and even towing a utility trailer, you might want the option to be able to more quickly 'fully charge' overnight, although, even then, the 32amp charger may still meet that need. 14miles per hour of charge for 10 hours would be another 140miles added to what was left when first plugged in.
Anyone who has ever used a generator for whole-house power can easily use the truck in the very same way. The vehicle is also likely not going to provide more than 30amps at 240v power thru either method, automated or not. 9.6kw is only 40amps at 240v.

Yes, we DO need DC Fast Charging infrastructure out in the wilds of our travel scope, at that is ramping up nicely, but it's doubtful anyone needs 80 amp, or even 48amp, 'fast' charging at home.

My install today will be a simple run to near where my truck will park in my carport. When I ever have a need for 'whole house' power I will simply use my custom-made 30amp twist lock-to-50amp power cord plugged into that same outlet, back to my main panel's interlocked 50amp breaker. Fun. Easy.

ENJOY! : ) William, also from Georgia, with two SEC Quarterbacks in the superbowl this weekend : ) LSU and GA

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Whats the plan for how the backup generator or the lightning power will back up the home? Super redundancy for sure but sounds like it'll need multiple transfer switches in the appropriate configuration. Curious because I have a similar scenario as you. Thanks!
In my particular case, I will not use the Lightning to provide backup power to the house. My Generac whole-house generator will take care of all that. If the 80A charger is in use when the main power to the house is lost, I will probably need to shut the 80A charger off so that the Generac generator can handle everything else.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Lou, I'm also running my own charger wiring today to my carport where my new Lightning will park each night - making use of the included future Ford 32amp 240v charger. Coming from full-timing in our 50amp motorhome for many years and wiring my own 50amp service many times, it's really easy.

I thought about this a lot yesterday, though, as to whether there would ever be a need to 'upgrade' to anything more than that in the future, or, really, if there is actually any practical 'need' for MORE power than that - I'm sticking with the simple 32a charger that Ford is including with the truck.
I find that also having owned an EV for several years, an 'old school' 2015 Nissan Leaf, with maybe 70 'miles' per full charge, that it's not realistic to think that I will EVER need to charge my 230mile truck any faster than the simple 32amp 240v Level 2 charger will easily provide.

I understand that many new to EVs may jump to the conclusion that you 'need' to be able to charge your truck 'fast', but the realistic everyday operation and usage of an EV probably will probably NEVER warrant that.
When you arrive and plug in each evening, from work, for example, your truck will be charging, all that time, until you need to use it again. It's likely you're also not arriving home with 0% battery power, but probably with the MAJORITY of battery power you originally left with, since most of us don't really drive 'that far'.
You might even go back and forth to work for the week, and even include a weekend drive for a night out, and STILL have more than half your battery power, or over 100 miles.
The ONLY time you really ever need 'fast charging' is when you are traveling, AWAY from home, and have the need to get somewhere many, many miles away.

Also, on another note, there is actually no need to have a 80amp charger to make use of the power of the truck to provide power to your 'home', although it looks as if Ford and Sunrun are promoting that as THE way to do it, though it's probably only to more easily 'integrate' the automated version of the whole-house charging option.

Now, if you are a contractor, using the truck to go many, many miles everyday to a work jobsite, having 2 or 3 employees riding with you, carrying work tools, and even towing a utility trailer, you might want the option to be able to more quickly 'fully charge' overnight, although, even then, the 32amp charger may still meet that need. 14miles per hour of charge for 10 hours would be another 140miles added to what was left when first plugged in.
Anyone who has ever used a generator for whole-house power can easily use the truck in the very same way. The vehicle is also likely not going to provide more than 30amps at 240v power thru either method, automated or not. 9.6kw is only 40amps at 240v.

Yes, we DO need DC Fast Charging infrastructure out in the wilds of our travel scope, at that is ramping up nicely, but it's doubtful anyone needs 80 amp, or even 48amp, 'fast' charging at home.

My install today will be a simple run to near where my truck will park in my carport. When I ever have a need for 'whole house' power I will simply use my custom-made 30amp twist lock-to-50amp power cord plugged into that same outlet, back to my main panel's interlocked 50amp breaker. Fun. Easy.

ENJOY! : ) William, also from Georgia, with two SEC Quarterbacks in the superbowl this weekend : ) LSU and GA
Sounds like you have a good plan!

In my case, the 80A charger is standard equipment with my Lightning Lariat (extended battery). Once it is installed and in use, I will probably dial its output down to 48A or 32A. As you said, the need for a full 80A charge would be the rare exception, not the norm. The 32A mobile charger (also standard equipment) will probably stay in the truck for a rainy day.

I graduated from that other big school in Georgia (the one located in Atlanta) in 1970. Even so, I am thrilled that the Dawgs (and the SEC) will be well-represented on Sunday in LA.

Cheers. Lou from Georgia.

·
Registered
190 Posts
yep, I'll be using the Ford 32amp charge cable at home, and taking our 240v 16a Level 2 charger we current use on the road, 'just in case', along with a 50amp 'dogbone' adapter that I already own, as well. Unfortunately, the level 2 charge I own only has a 20a 240v male plug, so I'll need an adapter to go with it, just in case 120v power is the 'only' option, worst case scenario.

Congrats to the 'big' Ga Tech - downtown ATL, where all the traffic stays - I like it in rural Georgia, where a 'traffic jam' is a 5 second slow down for the only light in town to change...

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yep, I'll be using the Ford 32amp charge cable at home, and taking our 240v 16a Level 2 charger we current use on the road, 'just in case', along with a 50amp 'dogbone' adapter that I already own, as well. Unfortunately, the level 2 charge I own only has a 20a 240v male plug, so I'll need an adapter to go with it, just in case 120v power is the 'only' option, worst case scenario.

Congrats to the 'big' Ga Tech - downtown ATL, where all the traffic stays - I like it in rural Georgia, where a 'traffic jam' is a 5 second slow down for the only light in town to change...
When I go on the road with my travel trailer (TT), I take two generators -- one gasoline and one solar. I like redundancy! :) Note: The solar generator can power everything in my TT except the air conditioner. I could use either generator to charge the Lightning, but it would be really slooowww.

I graduated from Tech in 1970 and moved to Warner Robins in 1971 and have been in this general area just about ever since (except for four years in Ohio and two years in Utah).

·
Registered
367 Posts
Following your project!

I need to do the same, run a 100 or 200 amp underground line from the house to the garage and bike workshop.

At the moment I only have two 20 amp 120 volt runs, originally installed in the late 60' for light bulbs and a door opener.

I've considered having a second service line installed directly to the standalone garage, we're located on a corner lot where the overhead lines are an easy overhead reach to the garage, I just don't know which would get done easier, second service or a tap from the house drop right after the meter box with a emergency cut-off and circuit breaker.

I'm not planning to use the emergency backup power features or home integration.

My nephew is an electrician, which will be very helpful in helping me estimate the options so that I can get the work done by delivery day, but if it's not done by then my 50amp generator twist lock feed could by utilized temporarily to feed the 32a travel charger with an adapter, also only two blocks away from a DCFC if needing a quick topping.

·
Registered
367 Posts
When I go on the road with my travel trailer (TT), I take two generators -- one gasoline and one solar. I like redundancy! :) Note: The solar generator can power everything in my TT except the air conditioner. I could use either generator to charge the Lightning, but it would be really slooowww.
What are you running for a solar gen?

I have 2 EcoFlow-Pro's each with one extra battery, totaling 14.4kwh. I use that for overnight emergency brown outs or blackouts, their principal duty is to run the kitchen (Fridge, Microwave and electronic controls on our gas range, unit two is to provide power to our oil fired steam boiler. I ran emergency operation test for the boiler last month during the coldest days, it kept my boiler operation for over 4 day. 7.2kwh Eventually I will have off-grid solar on the roof to replenish those units and do load shaving with an intelligent load transfer panel in such a way that the grid will rarely be used for those systems, think of it as a mini POWERWALL, hence the Ford integrated system would be redundant to what I have already.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What are you running for a solar gen?

I have 2 EcoFlow-Pro's each with one extra battery, totaling 14.4kwh. I use that for overnight emergency brown outs or blackouts, their principal duty is to run the kitchen (Fridge, Microwave and electronic controls on our gas range, unit two is to provide power to our oil fired steam boiler. I ran emergency operation test for the boiler last month during the coldest days, it kept my boiler operation for over 4 day. 7.5kwh Eventually I will have off-grid solar on the roof to replenish those units and do load shaving with an intelligent load transfer panel to such a way that the grid will rarely be used for those systems, think of it as a mini POWERWALL, hence the Ford integrated system would be redundant to what I have already.
My solar generator is a Bluetti AC200P. I have three Bluetti SP200 200w portable solar panels to go with it. The solar generator also comes with a 120v charger. When I hook up my travel trailer and hit the road, I place the solar components on the floor behind the front seats of my 2020 Ford F-150 Crew Cab. This works well for me because I travel alone Cheers..

·
Registered
94 White Lightning, 14 CLA AMG, 67 Corvette, 68 Z28
14 Posts

Very good points! I don’t need more than 32 amp charging either and the 30 amp in bed plug is enough to run my house as well. Just installed a 11.4 Kw solar system and would like to be able to use it if we ever had an extended power outage to run the house and Lightning (looks like I can make 5 to 120 Kwh/day on the best and worst days) which with some rationing would support extended outages with the poorest possible solar conditions. I just joined the group here but already see the expertise needed to come up with the best solution without spending a fortune

·
Registered
190 Posts
I actually have had the same thoughts about the idea of solar power to trickle charge the Truck when/if a power outage occurs, but since it relatively uncommon, I want a very easy and inexpensive solution...

One interesting idea I've found is CyboEnergy 'microinverter' that requires NO battery bank to provide DIRECT 120v or 240v power from solar panels.

CyboEnery's inverter is more of a panel-based inverter than the typical inverter you mount on the wall, meaning that the panels plug DIRECTLY into it, up to 4 per panels, and it is very compact, and requires no other equipment - it's 120v or 240v output goes directly to the device you want to power, or to a sub-panel, outlet, etc.

This would provide a simple way to 'invest' in several solar panels, and a simple microinverter, and you're done.
Now, since there are NO BATTERIES, there is also no 'storgage' of power - meaning that the sun HAS to be out and providing power to the panels in order to provide power to the vehicle... so this is, yes, only going to be active during SUNLIGHT hours. I realize that it is not going to provide any charging during overnight or even on days where direct sunlight is not available, but it is a simple way to add to charging when it IS available, when days and days of power outages may create a very pressure-filled time, when you don't know the outcome of what may become a very LONG power outage event.

We'll see...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts