⚡ Ford Lightning Forum ⚡ banner
21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Administrator
2021 Mustang Mach E First Edition, 2016 Nissan Leaf, 2003 Toyota Tacoma, F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
2,398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
No sir. You heard incorrectly, both Kyle and Tom clearly discuss that the Lighting DC charging drops off "a cliff" at 80% SOC as previous posted noted.
Lighting has a flatter charging curve, if you leave when the pack is 80% full or sooner, you'll be fine, charging above 80% should be done only when absolutely required, or when your time doesn't matter.
Correct. The software in the production trucks keeps the 80% cliff used in the Mustang Mach E. Fortunately it only drops to around 45 kW, like the new Mach E software. The original Mach E software dropped to about 15 kW at 80% SOC.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Correct. The software in the production trucks keeps the 80% cliff used in the Mustang Mach E. Fortunately it only drops to around 45 kW, like the new Mach E software. The original Mach E software dropped to about 15 kW at 80% SOC.
This is an important point. If you are in a range challenged trip, going to 90% can make sense, but you'd need an extreme range situation to go further.

·
Administrator
2021 Mustang Mach E First Edition, 2016 Nissan Leaf, 2003 Toyota Tacoma, F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
2,398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
In EV forums there are always lots of new threads popping up from first time BEV drivers who are all worried or worked up because their Guess-O-Meter (GOM) is showing much less range than they think it should. This will especially happen in colder weather when the range drops. For new EV owners, it is important to understand the GOM and what it will and will not do.

Very simple answer: don't rely on the GOM! It doesn't know where you plan to go or the conditions it needs to calculate the actual range it can go. It will always be highly conservative. Be glad Ford gives you a conservative GOM -- it'll help keep you out of trouble.

How far can your Lightning really go? There are two good ways to find out. Neither is the GOM.

1. Trust the navigation system
Get in the car, turn on navigation, and pick a spot 200-300 miles away. See if it will navigate you there without charging. How much range will it have when you get there? If it can't get there without charging try shorter distances.

Once you have found a place near the end of your range the navigation system will tell you the range the car predicts to be able to go when it knows the distance, likely speed, altitude changes, and weather conditions of your drive. The distance of that drive plus the remaining range (you can trust it best when remaining range is low) will tell you your range.

I've found the Ford navigation system to be very accurate and estimating my real range in my Mustang Mach E.

2. How far do you really go?
You can do the same thing with your normal driving. Charge up and drive it for a while. Drive until you are low on charge upon arriving home or a charging destination. How far do you go before charging and how much range does the car think is left? After you have been driving a while (100+ miles), the GOM's estimate will be based on your recent driving and will be a better estimate of remaining battery range than it was when you first hopped in. Even better, the truck will provide you with an energy efficiency for the trip in miles per kilowatt hour (m/kWh). You can use that to estimate your actual range.

Both of these will tell you your car's real range under real-world conditions.

Don't trust the GOM for anything other than a low-ball estimate. Then be glad Ford chose to do it this way. I've hopped in my Leaf trusting the GOM would get me somewhere, only to learn the GOM was based on slow driving around town. If I hop on a freeway, by GOM estimate starts dropping like a rock and my battery won't get me where I need to go at 70 mph on the interstate. I'd rather start out with a conservative GOM than a wildly optimistic one! Ford's GOM is intentionally conservative.

Finally, when winter comes don't be that EV owner to starts asking if their truck is broken or if Ford installed the wrong battery. Your range will go down in cold weather due to a variety of reasons (there are threads here on that). However, your GOM will go down even faster as Ford's conservative algorithms help to keep you from getting stranded.
Just a reminder. If you are new to driving EVs, please read this thread.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Well after only 426 miles on my truck I got a nice surprise when I hoped init this morning. My range shows 339 miles.
View attachment 2811
Great.!!! You shouldn't be surprised by that indication. The more you drive your Lightning, the truck will learn your driving habits, and you may see a higher mileage at 100%. I have a Mach E premium ER that is 18 months old and 20000 miles on the odometer. It was rated at 270 miles of range at 100%. Have not seen the 270 mark at 100%....YET.!!! Every time I charge my Mach E, I see 290 to 310 miles depending which drive mode I am using. I have learned a lot from my Mach E.
I have paid attention to these things and they are coming true with the Lightning. Put some miles to your new truck, show it what you got and it will learn your habits. Gradually you will see the energy consumption go from 1.8M/KW to 2.0 and start inching closer to 2.3-2.5 and to my surprise this morning 2.8M/KW. Now a more aggressive driving and accelerations will only get you 2.1-2.3 and that will be your best case scenarios.
I have read that some folks are reporting lower GOM mileage than they expected. You need to let your truck learn from you and in return learn from it.
That is what I am doing with mine with 400 miles in it. I am still learning, but I had a good teacher, my Mach E.
Since I am still learning, did anyone knows what the button at the selector drive mode at the console, right next to the D does? I have a Lariat. I have checked the manual. When I depress the button nothing pops up on any of my displays. Does anyone knows before I call Ford?

·
Registered
17 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
I can vouch for that info. My Mach E maintained a 45-50KW charge rate between 80-90% SOC. You may see a 30KW rate up to 93-94%. I expect a more robust charging rate with the Lightning according to Mr Palmer.
I do have an inquiry for ChasingCoral since he is an administrator and a hot line with Mr Palmer....
I just found out that SunRun is holding on our 80A chargers. To my surprise, either all we were misinformed or assumed the chargers were coming to us thru the dealer network upon delivery of the truck. My dealer thought the same. Ford will deliver the charger to the dealer upon final delivery.
Don't know what kind of arrangement Ford has with SunRun but they were holding my charger without notifying me. It is logical to think and expect that SunRun will notify any expected owner ahead of delivery to install the charger. Also offer their solar and storage battery services to any willing participant prior to the delivery of their trucks. Instead.....there was no communication, no emails and no mail. I had to chase my charger with Ford and eventually with SunRun. Now.....I have to apologize to my dealer for being a nag the last few days looking for my charger.
Now.... let's see how long it will take to ship the charger to my house.

·
Administrator
2,398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Just resurrecting this thread in time for cooler weather in northern areas.

·
Administrator
2,398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·

·
Registered
142 Posts
An update on my 80amps charger.
Looks good on the wall. Siemens, the manufacturer of this Wallbox charger, is now troubleshooting the gripes I am experiencing.
First after the installation, the wallbox could not connect with my WiFi network. My WiFi finds the signal, which you have to be practically 10 feet from the device, but the access code / password that it came with, doesn't work. A case # was generated by Ford. Ford's customer assistant has taken the case with Siemens to investigate even further. I have been contacted by Siemens, have a case #, and now I am waiting patiently, lots of pictures to substantiate my claims, to see what the outcome will be.
This is what I have seen.
No Wifi connection. No communication between the Ford Power Pro Charger App or the Lightning truck. 10 feet apart and cannot find each other.
The charger works but it overheats and it shuts down. Then it cycles between charging and overheating. The charger has a factory default setting of (7), to supply 80 amps to the Back Up Power mode.
Most likely the wallbox charger has a malfunctioning WiFi circuit. I will be surprised if they sent out a rep to investigate.
I am looking at a replacement unit. It is a good thing I am an electrician and can tackle this project. Otherwise if anyone out there has a similar problem, you're looking at replacement costs coming out of your own pocket. Ford will reimburse you for $150.
I am not angry, but I want this fixed.
So.....if anyone else has a similar problem with this charger, don't call Siemens. Call Ford Customer Service, generate a case # and a person to deal with your case. That person will deal with Siemens and will see how expeditious the whole process will be. I am just looking at my Charge Point charger, which is 20 months old, had not one glitch YET, and wonder about this Siemens product and the reliability issues that may arise in the future.
Will see. More reports later.

·
Registered
351 Posts
An update on my 80amps charger.
Looks good on the wall. Siemens, the manufacturer of this Wallbox charger, is now troubleshooting the gripes I am experiencing.
First after the installation, the wallbox could not connect with my WiFi network. My WiFi finds the signal, which you have to be practically 10 feet from the device, but the access code / password that it came with, doesn't work. A case # was generated by Ford. Ford's customer assistant has taken the case with Siemens to investigate even further. I have been contacted by Siemens, have a case #, and now I am waiting patiently, lots of pictures to substantiate my claims, to see what the outcome will be.
This is what I have seen.
No Wifi connection. No communication between the Ford Power Pro Charger App or the Lightning truck. 10 feet apart and cannot find each other.
The charger works but it overheats and it shuts down. Then it cycles between charging and overheating. The charger has a factory default setting of (7), to supply 80 amps to the Back Up Power mode.
Most likely the wallbox charger has a malfunctioning WiFi circuit. I will be surprised if they sent out a rep to investigate.
I am looking at a replacement unit. It is a good thing I am an electrician and can tackle this project. Otherwise if anyone out there has a similar problem, you're looking at replacement costs coming out of your own pocket. Ford will reimburse you for $150.
I am not angry, but I want this fixed.
So.....if anyone else has a similar problem with this charger, don't call Siemens. Call Ford Customer Service, generate a case # and a person to deal with your case. That person will deal with Siemens and will see how expeditious the whole process will be. I am just looking at my Charge Point charger, which is 20 months old, had not one glitch YET, and wonder about this Siemens product and the reliability issues that may arise in the future.
Will see. More reports later.
Ford branded EVSEs have been plagued with problems from the start. They have contracted with a half-dozen good brand-name manufactures that have little issues with their other products, but as soon as the FORD label goes on them something happens lol.

We are stuck with the anything that ships packaged with the vehicle, but as discussed in other threads; for God's sake don't actually spend money buying a Ford branded EVSE! There are many quality choices on the market now with much better track records, and many of them are less money.
:cool:

·
Registered
142 Posts
Ford branded EVSEs have been plagued with problems from the start. They have contracted with a half-dozen good brand-name manufactures that have little issues with their other products, but as soon as the FORD label goes on them something happens lol.

We are stuck with the anything that ships packaged with the vehicle, but as discussed in other threads; for God's sake don't actually spend money buying a Ford branded EVSE! There are many quality choices on the market now with much better track records, and many of them are less money.
:cool:
Well......when you have the option of Intelligent Power Back Up, and you got to have that particular Ford/Siemens Wallbox in order to feed your home with power, then you are stuck with what they offer. Now.....Siemens is the manufacturer. I expected that the Germans will have their crap together and working but this is a surprise. Still waiting from Siemens to reply to my emails or a phone call to talk to their support dept. Maybe today.
Thanks for the insight.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Well......when you have the option of Intelligent Power Back Up, and you got to have that particular Ford/Siemens Wallbox in order to feed your home with power, then you are stuck with what they offer. Now.....Siemens is the manufacturer. I expected that the Germans will have their crap together and working but this is a surprise. Still waiting from Siemens to reply to my emails or a phone call to talk to their support dept. Maybe today.
Thanks for the insight.
Yes yes... the IPBU charger is use specific, which is why I qualified the statement. And yes, Siemens has a long history of making quality equipment, it is not like Ford skimped there. I is just disappointing and ironic that yet again, putting the "Ford" label on an EVSE seems to have come with the familiar curse. 🧐

·
Registered
142 Posts
Yes yes... the IPBU charger is use specific, which is why I qualified the statement. And yes, Siemens has a long history of making quality equipment, it is not like Ford skimped there. I is just disappointing and ironic that yet again, putting the "Ford" label on an EVSE seems to have come with the familiar curse. 🧐
Where is my magic wand, damn it.??!!

21 - 37 of 37 Posts