• No

Votes: 17 43.6%
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Automotive parking light

Curious to see how many F-150 Lightning order holders here already have a home charger installed.
Vote on the poll and comment below on the home charging setup you have (or will).

·
Registered
2021 Mach-E Premium SR AWD, Lightning XLT ordered
81 Posts
I do, but not my first EV. Previously, we had a C-MAX Energi (plug-in hybrid) and a Focus Electric. Now we have a Mach-E and F-150. Looking forward to going back to fuel pump free life again.

2x 50A 14-50 outlets. One Ford Mobile Charger, a TurboCord, and an OpenEVSE 48A (set to 40A).

·
Registered
281 Posts
I have a Chargepoint Home Flex with a 14-50 plug. The 'Flex' part is that the EVSE is flexible in that you can match EVSEamperage to the circuit breaker amperage through the app. This feature is now available on other models; the Chargepoint was one of the first.

Reactions: Cutler03GT

·
Registered
Model 3 AWD, Lightning Lariat on order
494 Posts
Currently 2 Model 3's- charge one from a 14-50 using the included Tesla Mobile Connector and have a Tesla Wall Connector for the other on a 60 amp breaker. Either one is more than we need for the two cars. Will replace the Wall Connector on the 60 amp breaker with the Charge Station Pro for the Lightning. Will have an electrician evaluate the panel to see if I could possibly increase the 60 amp breaker to 100.

It is a 200 amp panel, but no issues charging both cars now in the summer, even with the 5 ton AC unit and pool pump running. The Model 3's can only charge at a max 48 amp on the WC and the one with the mobile is at 32 - so they never draw more than 80 amps total today.

Reactions: Cutler03GT

·
Registered
494 Posts
Tesla just updated their app tonight - they added a charging stats page to show the last 30 day history. This shows how easily we could share a single charger between 2 cars.

Font Gadget Technology Electric blue Parallel
Font Technology Electric blue Circle Temperature

·
Registered
PRO Iced Blue Silver - Tow Tech, Max Tow, 9.6kw ProPower
189 Posts
Currently 2 Model 3's- charge one from a 14-50 using the included Tesla Mobile Connector and have a Tesla Wall Connector for the other on a 60 amp breaker. Either one is more than we need for the two cars. Will replace the Wall Connector on the 60 amp breaker with the Charge Station Pro for the Lightning. Will have an electrician evaluate the panel to see if I could possibly increase the 60 amp breaker to 100.

It is a 200 amp panel, but no issues charging both cars now in the summer, even with the 5 ton AC unit and pool pump running. The Model 3's can only charge at a max 48 amp on the WC and the one with the mobile is at 32 - so they never draw more than 80 amps total today.
yep, moving from a single EV to a dual EV pull-thru carport for the Leaf and the Lightning - the Leaf already accesses a 20amp 240v outlet with it's 16amp 240v Level 2 charge cable - pulling a new 6/3 thru the attic from the 200amp power panel on a 50amp 240v breaker over and down into the carport ceiling to drop a 50amp box to mount high on a center pole for the Lightning's 32amp charger.

also, check on this "Ask This Old House" episode about adding in your 'generator' to your Home's power panel - I'll use the 'interlock' whole-house method:

·
Registered
2021 Mach-E Premium SR AWD, Lightning XLT ordered
81 Posts
yep, moving from a single EV to a dual EV pull-thru carport for the Leaf and the Lightning - the Leaf already accesses a 20amp 240v outlet with it's 16amp 240v Level 2 charge cable - pulling a new 6/3 thru the attic from the 200amp power panel on a 50amp 240v breaker over and down into the carport ceiling to drop a 50amp box to mount high on a center pole for the Lightning's 32amp charger.

also, check on this "Ask This Old House" episode about adding in your 'generator' to your Home's power panel - I'll use the 'interlock' whole-house method:
Careful what setup you go with. Based on my research, you need an actual transfer switch compatible with “bonded neutral” generators, or Pro Power Onboard will set a ground fault.

·
Registered
117 Posts
This will be my first EV. I ordered ER so it’s coming with the Ford Charge Station Pro but I don’t plan on hard-wiring or paying to make large electrical modifications because I’ll be in and out of rental homes for the next few years of military career.

Any good suggestions for a plug in charger? Willing to install an outlet in the garage.

·
Administrator
2021 Mustang Mach E First Edition, 2016 Nissan Leaf, 2003 Toyota Tacoma, F-150 Lightning reserved
1,665 Posts
Remember that the truck will come with the 32A mobile charging cord as well. All you need is a NEMA 14-50 outlet on a 40A or high circuit.

Reactions: wyatt

·
Registered
494 Posts
Remember that the truck will come with the 32A mobile charging cord as well. All you need is a NEMA 14-50 outlet on a 40A or high circuit.
I believe you likely know this, but by code a 14-50 is only on a 50 amp circuit.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Currently own Clipper Creek HCS-D50 to charge VW ID,4 and Mustang Mach E. When Sunrun evaluates panel and if possible to approve a 100 amp addition, I might get that installed to charge Lightning outside in driveway as garages are two single bay entrances into one bay but narrow entrances. Maybe later I will go with a home integration system. I have a small Honda generator to run outside to power some stuff if power is out.

·
Administrator
2021 Mustang Mach E First Edition, 2016 Nissan Leaf, 2003 Toyota Tacoma, F-150 Lightning reserved
1,665 Posts
I believe you likely know this, but by code a 14-50 is only on a 50 amp circuit.
IIRC there is an exception to the NEC that slows NEMA 14-50 outlets to be installed on circuits served by a 40A breaker. Some localities may not allow this exception to be followed due to local code. @JC12345’s mobility could result in serving in locations where placinga14-50 on a 40A circuit is allowed.

·
Administrator
1,665 Posts
Currently own Clipper Creek HCS-D50 to charge VW ID,4 and Mustang Mach E. When Sunrun evaluates panel and if possible to approve a 100 amp addition, I might get that installed to charge Lightning outside in driveway as garages are two single bay entrances into one bay but narrow entrances. Maybe later I will go with a home integration system. I have a small Honda generator to run outside to power some stuff if power is out.
That would be great if you can go with the 100A but you can install the Ford Charger Station Pro on a lower amperage circuit by downgrading the capacity. You can still install the Home Integration in that situation but limit the charging rate.

·
Registered
XLT-ER w/max tow. Carbonized Gray Metallic.
20 Posts
I currently have a Nema 14-50 plug installed in one of my out buildings that I use to charge a Chevy Bolt. So I can use that for a bridge until I get the 100 amp unit installed somewhere.

·
Registered
85 Posts
We have two EVSEs in active use at our house. Garage design does not allow for sharing of one. Flo home x5, which seems to be very sturdy and we have had no problems once our initial setup was complete. These are only 30amp max, but it should work ok for us. Our utility provided the evse and it supports time of use billing. I don't know if they can work with the ford charge station pro. I only have 100 amp service to our home so 30 amp x2 cars charging at once does not leave a lot of extra capacity, though the cars only charge from 9pm to noon. For a little while we had a Chevy bolt (30amp max), xc40 EV (48amp max) and xc90 phev(16amp max). We no longer have the bolt, but we had no problems with the xc40 and bolt charging at the same time. It could get more interesting in the summer with ac running into the overnight. If we don't upgrade our service to 200 amps I may end up derrating the charge station pro to 48 amps and using it exclusively for emergency power backup.

·
Administrator
1,665 Posts
We have two EVSEs in active use at our house. Garage design does not allow for sharing of one. Flo home x5, which seems to be very sturdy and we have had no problems once our initial setup was complete. These are only 30amp max, but it should work ok for us. Our utility provided the evse and it supports time of use billing. I don't know if they can work with the ford charge station pro. I only have 100 amp service to our home so 30 amp x2 cars charging at once does not leave a lot of extra capacity, though the cars only charge from 9pm to noon. For a little while we had a Chevy bolt (30amp max), xc40 EV (48amp max) and xc90 phev(16amp max). We no longer have the bolt, but we had no problems with the xc40 and bolt charging at the same time. It could get more interesting in the summer with ac running into the overnight. If we don't upgrade our service to 200 amps I may end up derrating the charge station pro to 48 amps and using it exclusively for emergency power backup.
You can also derate the Charge Station Pro to as low as 20A (for use on a 30A circuit/breaker) and still install the emergency backup power.

Reactions: GDN

·
Registered
PRO Iced Blue Silver - Tow Tech, Max Tow, 9.6kw ProPower
189 Posts
agreed, as the backup power is not impacted by 'which' double-pole breaker you use, as long as it is 40-50amp size or more, with 50amp being the more common size. If you use a smaller sized double-pole breaker you'll simply have less power from the truck before the breaker trips.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Welcome to the forum @VTbuckeye Have you had issues before charging in the summer?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Welcome to the forum @VTbuckeye Have you had issues before charging in the summer?
No, but we had the Volvo (2016) and bolt (2019) for the past couple years and they don't draw as much. We purchased the xc40 EV in mid September. No issues even with two EVSEs supplying a total of 60 amps. The xc40 is the replacement for the bolt (fires/recalls/buyback). It just took GM from July 27 until Feb 7th to complete the process. We want to replace the Tacoma with something with more towing capacity and more importantly electric. I don't want to buy another car without a plug.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts