⚡ Ford Lightning Forum ⚡ banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This from my local dealer, Crossroads Ford of Wake Forest:
I wanted to reach out on your Ford Lightning Reservation. Ford released some updated information on the amount of builds they will be able to produce next year on the Ford Lightning. They are predicting that they will be able to produce 10,000 of them. This is far less than the initial 30,000 they were hoping and then the hopes of 50,000 to 60,000 they later said were hoping to produce. Due to supply line issues and commodity shortages the amount that will be built will be far less than originally thought. Because of this there will most likely be a market adjustment value above MSRP on any order. I wanted to make you aware of this up front and not later on, like you have heard of some dealerships doing on Bronco Orders. We want to be transparent with our customers on the situation and with the demand and the very small supply we are going to be receiving, that is the reason for the potential market adjustment. Please reply back with your interest on moving forward so we can set up future communications on the process.
I've received bad info from them in the past, so am wondering if this is their way of justifying the market adjustment. I don't yet know how much that will be.
Has anyone else heard this?

·
Administrator
2021 Mustang Mach E First Edition, 2016 Nissan Leaf, 2003 Toyota Tacoma, F-150 Lightning reserved
1,694 Posts
That's probably low as unofficial reports have Ford planning for 15,000-30,000 (with best guess close to 20,000). Ford has not announced an official number.

For details, see:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Just tell him/her that you appreciate the information but will be changing your order to a dealership that doesn’t mark up the price over MSRP.
Then check with Tim over at Long McArthur. If you give him your reservation number he can tell you where your place in line would be at his dealership.
I would have been 6th in line at his place, but decided, for now, to keep at my local dealer as they promise msrp and I’m 1st in line at their dealership.
If suddenly msrp is off the table, I will move mine.

·
Registered
14 Posts
This from my local dealer, Crossroads Ford of Wake Forest:

I've received bad info from them in the past, so am wondering if this is their way of justifying the market adjustment. I don't yet know how much that will be.
Has anyone else heard this?
Yeah, my dad has had issues with them in the past. I live in Clayton and I picked the dealership in Smithfield over Crossroads. My thought was that I'd be a bigger fish in a small pond there lol hopefully I can tell them my dad buys stuff from them all the time and it'll bump me up in line

·
Registered
14 Posts
Yeah, my dad has had issues with them in the past. I live in Clayton and I picked the dealership in Smithfield over Crossroads. My thought was that I'd be a bigger fish in a small pond there lol hopefully I can tell them my dad buys stuff from them all the time and it'll bump me up in line
Plot Twist: They too are doing over MSRP. Can't tell me how much. What BS.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So I did change the reservation to Parkway Ford in Winston. I spoke with a great sales guy who said they won't be charging more than MSRP, and they don't have the BS Surface Protection fee, which Crossroads was charging. He did say, though, that they have 175 reservations for the Lightning.

How does your place in line at the dealer affect your overall priority with Ford? I don't understand that.
If you give him your reservation number he can tell you where your place in line would be at his dealership.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Not really sure. This is all a crap shoot it seems. I did reserve within the first hour of the site going up (really in the first 30 minutes). That gives me a low number and I should get one in the first wave. Some of it depends on if the dealerships are "selling" spots or not. Some will, some won't. I'm just along for the ride. I also might end up with the Rivian R1T first in which case my spot would open up :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
So I did change the reservation to Parkway Ford in Winston. I spoke with a great sales guy who said they won't be charging more than MSRP, and they don't have the BS Surface Protection fee, which Crossroads was charging. He did say, though, that they have 175 reservations for the Lightning.

How does your place in line at the dealer affect your overall priority with Ford? I don't understand that.
I switched there as well!

·
Administrator
2021 Mustang Mach E First Edition, 2016 Nissan Leaf, 2003 Toyota Tacoma, F-150 Lightning reserved
1,694 Posts

The answer is: it's complicated and depends on your dealer.

Read the attached document and watch this video:

Attachments

Reactions: GDN

·
Registered
20 Posts
I made my reservation 05/20/21 8am, talked to the ford rep this morning she tells me today is wave 2, with my early reservation I should see a email today, so I contact the dealer I chose, they tell me I have 38 people ahead of me and I will not see a Truck this year? I call the rep she tells me call another ford dealer and ask how many people reserved prior to me, if I find a dealer I can switch dealers, so I just called 5 dealers in south eastern Michigan, all 5 told me lie after lie and all different, what is going on here?
Is this supposed to be this way? I thought my reservation meant something? The dealers are telling get lost

·
Registered
Model 3 AWD, Lightning Lariat on order
495 Posts
The document from post 9 is very interesting. Ford has gone on record admonishing dealers that are adding ADM, however it is very interesting that Ford themselves provide the mechanism for them to do that.

I guess they likely have to do that in their dealer agreements from years past, who knows, but Ford could easily remove the part of the pricing that allows the dealers to add the ADM right from the get go.

From the document:
DEALER PRICING Review your Dealer Pricing in Vehicle Locator Plus for 22MY F-150 Lightning • Access the Vehicle Locator Plus at Working... • Dealers will have three (3) options to price F-150 Lightning 1. Default to MSRP if no pricing is set by dealer (No action required) 2. Price all F-150’s at same level (Includes F-150 Lightning) 3. Set specific F-150 Lightning pricing by: ▪ Select “F-150” ▪ Select “22MY” ▪ Select “W1E” Body Type ▪ Select & set pricing by F-150 Lightning PEP codes (Pro 110A, XLT 311A, XLT 312A, LARIAT 510A, LARIAT 511A, Platinum 710A) ▪ Select & set pricing by battery if desired (Standard-Range Battery, Extended-Range Battery)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Looks like we have all been had, the Ford Lightning teem told me yesterday that I would be in wave 2 that opened yesterday due to early reservation, so I call my dealer the manager starts laughing he asked how many of these trucks do you think we will get to sell this year? Its a very large volume F150 dealer so I guess 100-200 units, he tells me 4, 4 trucks for the whole year??? How does this make sense these dealers have spent thousands on charger systems training ect. top only be able to sell 4 trucks? So you know the 4 trucks are going to dealer employees, so they can resell them at a huge markup, honestly if Ford put me in that spot not sure I would do it different, my dealer said they spent over 100k getting ready for this, so that's the TRUTH as I know it, That's why we see people with much higher reservation numbers saying they got the email, your reservation don't mean a thing

·
Administrator
1,694 Posts
Looks like we have all been had, the Ford Lightning teem told me yesterday that I would be in wave 2 that opened yesterday due to early reservation, so I call my dealer the manager starts laughing he asked how many of these trucks do you think we will get to sell this year? Its a very large volume F150 dealer so I guess 100-200 units, he tells me 4, 4 trucks for the whole year??? How does this make sense these dealers have spent thousands on charger systems training ect. top only be able to sell 4 trucks? So you know the 4 trucks are going to dealer employees, so they can resell them at a huge markup, honestly if Ford put me in that spot not sure I would do it different, my dealer said they spent over 100k getting ready for this, so that's the TRUTH as I know it, That's why we see people with much higher reservation numbers saying they got the email, your reservation don't mean a thing
You may be right that your reservation didn't matter at your dealership. That is a real shame and I am disappointed Ford made that possible for dealers.

However, at other dealers, the reservation matters. My dealership was following the reservation order. I reserved within the first few minutes of being able to access the reservation page. The person in charge of ordering the Lightnings for my dealership told me they had over 150 reservations and I was #4 based on time. For some reason I had been moved up to #3in the priorities (not sure what happened to one of those three above me, maybe they decided not to order).

In contrast, a sister dealership to mine was one that was identified as asking for huge "market adjustments" to be prioritized and $5K market adjustments just to order.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I am concerned that this kind of thing, Ford over promises and under delivers, will negatively impact this EV market as far as the big 3 are concerned, sadly is appears that Ford knew had no intention of filling even a 10th of the reservations they collected deposits for, every single person I have spoken to has told me something different, very disappointed ☹

·
Administrator
1,694 Posts
I made my reservation 05/20/21 8am, talked to the ford rep this morning she tells me today is wave 2, with my early reservation I should see a email today, so I contact the dealer I chose, they tell me I have 38 people ahead of me and I will not see a Truck this year? I call the rep she tells me call another ford dealer and ask how many people reserved prior to me, if I find a dealer I can switch dealers, so I just called 5 dealers in south eastern Michigan, all 5 told me lie after lie and all different, what is going on here?
Is this supposed to be this way? I thought my reservation meant something? The dealers are telling get lost
I recommend you reach back out to Ford to see if they can do anything. Your best bet may be to move your reservation to another dealer.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I recommend you reach back out to Ford to see if they can do anything. Your best bet may be to move your reservation to another dealer.
Thats what the Lightning team suggested I do, they even told me to call some dealers ask how many reservations they have prior to my reservation time, and if they have less than the allocation for that dealer I could change dealers so I called 5 dealers everyone told me to "Get Lost" every manger I spoke with was fighting mad that they spent so much money on charging stations, training, ect. and to only get 1-4 trucks for the year? some admitted they have to recoup the investment so, most of the 1st and 2ed wave F150 Lighting trucks will be sold to dealer controlled set up's so they can add big $$$$, just sucks for the rest of us that thought this was legit, dealers can "Prioritize" anyone they want in front of us and our reservation slot, 100% unfair in my opinion

·
Administrator
1,694 Posts
Thats what the Lightning team suggested I do, they even told me to call some dealers ask how many reservations they have prior to my reservation time, and if they have less than the allocation for that dealer I could change dealers so I called 5 dealers everyone told me to "Get Lost" every manger I spoke with was fighting mad that they spent so much money on charging stations, training, ect. and to only get 1-4 trucks for the year? some admitted they have to recoup the investment so, most of the 1st and 2ed wave F150 Lighting trucks will be sold to dealer controlled set up's so they can add big $$$$, just sucks for the rest of us that thought this was legit, dealers can "Prioritize" anyone they want in front of us and our reservation slot, 100% unfair in my opinion
Where do you live? Did you try any of the dealers that have agreed to sell at MSRP? That list is at:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts