⚡ Ford Lightning Forum ⚡ banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Today, I inquired with a dealer about how many people they had on their reserved list to see if I wanted to change my dealer. They mentioned they had 7 on their list, so i thanked them and hung up the phone. 10 minutes later, I get a text from the guy telling they have had 1 reservation receive the email that they could place their order. The dealership wasn’t sure if the person was going to take the order or not, so they were looking to lock in a back up plan. They asked me if I was interested if they didn’t place the order. I asked them “why it wouldn’t get offered to the next person in line” and they said they are asking all on the list to make sure they have a back up plan in the event the person didn’t take the order. So naturally I said I would be interested as long as I could order it the way I wanted it. They said that would be no problem, but that there would be a $15,000 markup on the truck. I about crapped myself. Long story short? I reported it to Ford and they opened a case on it. They agreed with me that $15,000 wasn’t a markup, it was a price gouge and that’s not how they want their dealers treating their customers. I have the entire text conversation in case Ford reaches out to me, but I guess we will see if and how they handle it. I don’t know anyone (Except rich people) that would spend $15,000 above MSRP for no real reason other than the dealership marked it that way. That’s just bad business and not right at all. I hope Ford actually does something about it.
Font Terrestrial plant Screenshot Technology Darkness

Terrestrial plant Font Screenshot Darkness Grass

Green Terrestrial plant Font Screenshot Technology

Green Font Terrestrial plant Line Screenshot

Font Terrestrial plant Screenshot Darkness

·
Administrator
2021 Mustang Mach E First Edition, 2016 Nissan Leaf, 2003 Toyota Tacoma, F-150 Lightning reserved
1,406 Posts
What’s the dealership? I’ll add them to the naughty list.

·
Administrator
2021 Mustang Mach E First Edition, 2016 Nissan Leaf, 2003 Toyota Tacoma, F-150 Lightning reserved
1,406 Posts
Got it on the naughty list

·
Administrator
1,406 Posts
There are only 15k trucks being built this year - dealers are for sure wanting to take a cut out of it :)
Just an FYI: Ford has said that number is wrong but has not said how many they will actually make. It's probably not too far off.

·
Registered
'22 Lightning Pre-Build, '19 Niro EV, '17 Leaf, '10 FFH
19 Posts
Long story short? I reported it to Ford and they opened a case on it. They agreed with me that $15,000 wasn’t a markup, it was a price gouge and that’s not how they want their dealers treating their customers. I have the entire text conversation in case Ford reaches out to me, but I guess we will see if and how they handle it. I don’t know anyone (Except rich people) that would spend $15,000 above MSRP for no real reason other than the dealership marked it that way. That’s just bad business and not right at all. I hope Ford actually does something about it.
Hope you found another dealership that was willing to work with you without the markup. $15k is just crazy and unacceptable!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Today, I inquired with a dealer about how many people they had on their reserved list to see if I wanted to change my dealer. They mentioned they had 7 on their list, so i thanked them and hung up the phone. 10 minutes later, I get a text from the guy telling they have had 1 reservation receive the email that they could place their order. The dealership wasn’t sure if the person was going to take the order or not, so they were looking to lock in a back up plan. They asked me if I was interested if they didn’t place the order. I asked them “why it wouldn’t get offered to the next person in line” and they said they are asking all on the list to make sure they have a back up plan in the event the person didn’t take the order. So naturally I said I would be interested as long as I could order it the way I wanted it. They said that would be no problem, but that there would be a $15,000 markup on the truck. I about crapped myself. Long story short? I reported it to Ford and they opened a case on it. They agreed with me that $15,000 wasn’t a markup, it was a price gouge and that’s not how they want their dealers treating their customers. I have the entire text conversation in case Ford reaches out to me, but I guess we will see if and how they handle it. I don’t know anyone (Except rich people) that would spend $15,000 above MSRP for no real reason other than the dealership marked it that way. That’s just bad business and not right at all. I hope Ford actually does something about it. View attachment 1317
View attachment 1319
View attachment 1320
View attachment 1321
View attachment 1322
How did you complain to Ford? did you call the 800 number associated with the reservation? thanks

·
Registered
78 Posts
This is interesting because technically the order has been placed so the dealer “owns” that order. If the truck was delivered as ordered and the buyer backed out, the dealer would then own the vehicle and be able to mark it up however much they wanted. The nuance here is that the order hasn’t been scheduled yet so they can still change it.
Where I think the dealer is getting in trouble is that they are basically reselling the order slot because the order would not be under dhoyle’s reservation number.
Personally, I think that first order belongs to someone at the dealership and they’re trying to flip the order to make some personal profit.

·
Administrator
1,406 Posts
This is interesting because technically the order has been placed so the dealer “owns” that order. If the truck was delivered as ordered and the buyer backed out, the dealer would then own the vehicle and be able to mark it up however much they wanted. The nuance here is that the order hasn’t been scheduled yet so they can still change it.
Where I think the dealer is getting in trouble is that they are basically reselling the order slot because the order would not be under dhoyle’s reservation number.
Personally, I think that first order belongs to someone at the dealership and they’re trying to flip the order to make some personal profit.
The nuance here is the truck hasn’t been delivered. It belongs to Ford until shipping. Ford also has a direct contact with the buyer. We saw the same thing with the Mustang Mach E. When some dealers suddenly turned greedy at the end, Ford changed dealers even after production in a few very special cases.

·
Registered
78 Posts
The nuance here is the truck hasn’t been delivered. It belongs to Ford until shipping. Ford also has a direct contact with the buyer. We saw the same thing with the Mustang Mach E. When some dealers suddenly turned greedy at the end, Ford changed dealers even after production in a few very special cases.
This isn’t exactly the same thing as the dealer refusing to sell the delivered truck to the original buyer without an added fee though. The original buyer is trying to back out of the order. So, ethically, I don’t see this as being any different than the dealer putting a $15k mark up on the truck after it’s delivered and after the original buyer backs out.
Mechanically, it’s different because the new buyer isn’t actually the reservation/order holder. So it looks like the dealer is reselling someone’s order invitation (which they basically are) and that’s a dangerous path to go down.

·
Administrator
1,406 Posts
This isn’t exactly the same thing as the dealer refusing to sell the delivered truck to the original buyer without an added fee though. The original buyer is trying to back out of the order. So, ethically, I don’t see this as being any different than the dealer putting a $15k mark up on the truck after it’s delivered and after the original buyer backs out.
Mechanically, it’s different because the new buyer isn’t actually the reservation/order holder. So it looks like the dealer is reselling someone’s order invitation (which they basically are) and that’s a dangerous path to go down.
I don’t know how a dealer could sell an order invitation.

·
Administrator
1,406 Posts
Jim Farley in the Q4 Earnings Call regarding ADMs:

Thank you. I would say, the answer to your question for ICE and BEV would be slightly different. We have about 10% of our dealers last year in the supply-constrained environment that, (were) charging above MSRP to our best of our knowledge. We have very good knowledge of who they are. And their future allocation of product will be directly impacted because of that policy. And we've seen really quick action by our team.

On the BEV side, this is quite an important topic, because the margins that we want to build to in BEV are going to be heavily dependent on a different go-to-market and customer experience. I won't go into any more than that, but this is a quite important lesson for us of the franchise system, and the way we will manage going forward. But I'm very optimistic now that our team has the intelligence in the market that we put an allocation trigger in for those dealers who choose to price that way. But it's inefficiency no doubt about it.

https://seekingalpha.com/article/44...y-on-q4-2021-results-earnings-call-transcript

1 - 20 of 20 Posts