⚡ Ford Lightning Forum ⚡ banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My provider is Eversource that serves CT, NH, MA. Here in CT, the price per kWh is now $.36, up from $.24. It now costs $36 to fully charge a SR lightning up from $24 previously. I know I can change service provider and save ~$.07kW, but there is lot of fine print and potential loopholes.

In the cold weather using 80% of the SR battery will yield only 120 (1.5kWh) -150 (1.75kWh) miles and cost $29. An ICE pickup truck getting 16mpg going 150 miles at $3.50gal x 9.375 gals = $33. With high electrical rates (low gas prices) and cold weather (no heat pump) it currently doesn't make financial sense to go with the Lightning. It now seems like the electrical companies are taking their opportunity to benefit from post pandemic pricing. I am not sure what is going on in other parts of the country. I can see this being used as marketing tool against the cost benefit savings of EV's.
Communication Device Mobile phone Gadget Mobile device Portable communications device

· Registered
Tesla Y, Cadillac ELR, Rivian R1T, Chevrolet Spark EV
413 Posts
My provider is Eversource that serves CT, NH, MA. Here in CT, the price per kWh is now $.36, up from $.24. It now costs $36 to fully charge a SR lightning up from $24 previously. I know I can change service provider and save ~$.07kW, but there is lot of fine print and potential loopholes.

In the cold weather using 80% of the SR battery will yield only 120 (1.5kWh) -150 (1.75kWh) miles and cost $29. An ICE pickup truck getting 16mpg going 150 miles at $3.50gal x 9.375 gals = $33. With high electrical rates (low gas prices) and cold weather (no heat pump) it currently doesn't make financial sense to go with the Lightning. It now seems like the electrical companies are taking their opportunity to benefit from post pandemic pricing. I am not sure what is going on in other parts of the country. I can see this being used as marketing against the cost savings of EV's.
View attachment 5902
I take it you are not a good candidate for solar where you are? Those prices are insane. I pay just a fraction of that here, or at least I would if I did not make my own power off of my roof. If you get any sun at all, it seems like ROI would be pretty quick with prices like that!

· Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I take it you are not a good candidate for solar where you are? Those prices are insane. I pay just a fraction of that here, or at least I would if I did not make my own power off of my roof. If you get any sun at all, it seems like ROI would be pretty quick with prices like that!
At these prices solar does make sense, but I would expect rates to drop in June. I am just surprised not really any complaints from EV enthusiasts in those states. Maybe they have solar or just need to see 1st bill reflecting new rate.

· Registered
'23 Lariat ER, Antimatter Blue
31 Posts
YIKES!

As someone north across the border, those rates seem insane. Though we're in the opposite position for gasoline.

Off-peak (7pm-7am) rates here are $0.074/kWh ($0.055 USD). Even peak rates are only $0.151/kWh ($0.113 USD).

However, gas is quite often close to $5/gallon. So electric really makes sense.

· Registered
2023 XLT SR Carbonized Grey, Nissan Leaf, Honda Clarity
88 Posts
At these prices solar does make sense, but I would expect rates to drop in June. I am just surprised not really any complaints from EV enthusiasts in those states. Maybe they have solar or just need to see 1st bill reflecting new rate.
If you are thinking about solar I had a good experience with Tesla solar panels. They were 10k cheaper than what sunrun quoted me 3 years ago. With the inflation reduction act you would get 30% fed tax credit.

My solar pretty much offsets my electrical needs.

· Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If you are thinking about solar I had a good experience with Tesla solar panels. They were 10k cheaper than what sunrun quoted me 3 years ago. With the inflation reduction act you would get 30% fed tax credit.

My solar pretty much offsets my electrical needs.
The house is a simple cape that gets a ton of sun and needs a new roof. I will check out the solar tiles/shingles. 👍

· Registered
413 Posts
The house is a simple cape that gets a ton of sun and needs a new roof. I will check out the solar tiles/shingles. 👍
Wow, you sound like a perfect candidate for solar.... and you drive an EV! If you get the project going soon, you could be filling you car's tank with sunshine by summer!

· Registered
20 Posts
I've been producing a lot more electrons than I consume for 16 yrs. After 10 years of getting net metering check from my util, it now stores my excess consumption. The energy I use to charge my Lightening (& our Tesla) is free -- I'm recapturing energy I've already produced.

I'm posting this not to show off, but b/c I've endured a decade and a half of folks bemoaning the ROI of solar. That's hogwash IMHO. Panels are better and costs have fallen, but the price of juice has risen a lot and it's going to rise a lot more. My array produces 95% of the energy it did when it was commissioned in '07. Current panels (& inverters) are much better. Don't overanalyze.

· Registered
Lariat ER Smoked Quartz Metallic
111 Posts
I know solar panels are a great way to go. Are there any options other than panels on your roof (ie your wife won’t let you do this - or anything fun). Is that Tesla power wall a thing (maybe not available in Canada) and would it provide enough umph to trickle charge the Lightning or just my weed wacker

· Registered
413 Posts
I know solar panels are a great way to go. Are there any options other than panels on your roof (ie your wife won’t let you do this - or anything fun). Is that Tesla power wall a thing (maybe not available in Canada) and would it provide enough umph to trickle charge the Lightning or just my weed wacker
The Tesla powerwall is a storage device, not power generation device like a solar panel.

Power rates in my area are set to rise sharply this year, up to 24%. I would probably be a bit stressed about that, if I did not make my own power.

I am trying to picture what the scene would have been like if my wife had done something strange like said "no" when I installed solar on the house. My response would have been a long the lines of telling her that she didn't have to put solar on her house, but if she wanted to live under the same roof as I do, then there are going to be solar panels on the roof. That's how strongly I feel about insulating myself from others having control over whether or not I get power, and the cost of that power.

I wonder if that explains why I have been married more than once...
😳

· Registered
20 Posts
Our PV array is ground mounted -- the 24 panels only take up 150. I like that better -- it makes it easy to sweep off the snow. In the US they're a big tax credit. The Powerwall only stores juice it does not make any. There are many competing storage products. In some places in the US there is "community solar" a mechanism through which someone can get PV panels off-site (often many mies away). This is a wonderfull solution for those in apartments or without yards, good orientation etc.

· Registered
Lariat ER Smoked Quartz Metallic
111 Posts
Got it (Duh on my part) If I install solar panels say 200 feet away from my garage, can you run a transmission line between the two or do I need to trench 3’ down below the frost line or something (this isn’t a high voltage line?). And guessing you need a powerwall or something like that to store and transfer that into the Lightning? Will a powerwall connect or does it only work w/ Teslas (or maybe this is something they haven’t even made yet, like the CTruck). If so what are you using to store the energy and feed it into the truck?

· Registered
20 Posts
The way it works is that you run the DC power from the array to your house where it is converted to AC by an inverter. There is a second meter that is installed to measure your production. When you are generating more than the house is consuming, the main meter runs backwards and you send juice to the utility where it is stored in your acct. When it's dark, the util sends power the usual way.

This work needs to be done by a first class electrician for many reasons. The whole system isn't cheap, but it pays for itself. There are very substantial tax credits for doing this in the US. All good PV installers offer financing. With your electric rates, you'll recover your investment in a few years.

· Registered
20 Posts
Got it (Duh on my part) If I install solar panels say 200 feet away from my garage, can you run a transmission line between the two or do I need to trench 3’ down below the frost line or something (this isn’t a high voltage line?). And guessing you need a powerwall or something like that to store and transfer that into the Lightning? Will a powerwall connect or does it only work w/ Teslas (or maybe this is something they haven’t even made yet, like the CTruck). If so what are you using to store the energy and feed it into the truck?
Couple of other things:
• Your trench does not have to be deep; you are burying wire. Freezing is not an issue.
• You don't need a battery (eg powerwall), your utility will store the electrons you generate.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts