⚡ Ford Lightning Forum ⚡ banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Model 3 AWD, Lightning Lariat on order
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is one mans math and thought process on the value of the truck compared to Powerwalls.

Reactions: Cutler03GT

·
Registered
76 Posts
I was literally just thinking the same thing. Been trying to find a way to justify placing my order for an F-150 Lighting. Got the e-mail yesterday. Have wanted an EV truck forever, now, it's finally here. Order page says 20 weeks for delivery. But then, now that it got real, started thinking more seriously about it and doing the actual math.

Roughly, an EV F-150 is about a $25,000 premium over an equally equipped F-150 Ice Vehicle. With what EV chargers cost to charge now, it's not all that much cheaper anymore for charging versus gas. Will take quite a long time to make up $25,000. Add that to whatever you value your time at, being that a simple fill up with gas if 5 minutes, whereas an EV is AT LEAST, 30 minutes. As such, aside from saving the planet, the math to purchase an EV F-150 over an ICE F-150 simply doesn't add up. So that selling point is out the window.

Next point, having something different and unique for the extra $25,000?? Well, the Lightning looks pretty much like any other ICE F-150. So, for that extra money, you're buying a vehicle that looks basically the same as the other millions of F-150's on the road. Nothing special in terms of appearance. That takes that selling point out.

Next, technology and innovation.....Well, This one loses out as well. Unlike the Rivian, Hummer, upcoming Silverado, etc, all which were designed from the ground up as EV's, the F-150 was a last ditch effort to try and beat everyone to market and therefore they simply took an ICE F-150 and removed the drivetrain and replaced with the Batteries and EV motors. It's old body on frame tech that, before even being delivered, is outdated. Ford has already said, within a couple of years, an ALL NEW EV Truck will be designed and built. Therefore, these Lightings are going to be obsolete in just a couple of years and the resale values will plummet.

Price: Already stated above, its at least a $25,000 premium over an equal ICE F-150. That puts this thing at $80,000 PLUS, for an extended range battery. Over $100,000 if you want the nice model. Do you really think you'll be able to sell this thing in 3 years for anywhere close to that? Not a chance. Especially considering by that time, there will be several, far superior designed models available.

So, I'm still striking out on every possible selling point to buy one of these things. Add in that it's the only EV truck that doesn't have air suspension. Of the other trucks in this price range, it's well over 1 second slower in 0-60 acceleration. It is certainly a more practical work truck than the other options, but, I don't need a work truck. Good for those that do, but for me, not positive.

I have been considering going solar at home and adding a back-up battery system. Looking around, all battery backups are around $1,000 per kWh. Tesla, is $7,500 for 7.2 kWh. The Ford, being a whopping 131 kWh battery for $80,000, now starts to make a little sense. Being that it's designed to be wired in as a backup power source. This is the one aspect where Ford stands above the rest. The Hummer and Rivian have 110 outlets, thus could run an extension cord in a pinch. But, if the Ford really can be wired to be a back-up battery power source to automatically take over in a power outage, now it starts to have some value. You supposedly get three days from a full charge. Tesla says just 1 day if you spend $75,000 for TEN power walls. EcoFlow batteries are around $1,000 per kWh as well. WOW, what happened to getting battery costs down to $100 per kWh? But, if you buy the base model XLT with the extended range battery with only the forced $9,500 option, you end up around $80,000 after taxes, which is about $610 per kWh. Basically 40% less.

So, while it doesn't really have value as the best EV truck, most cost efficient mode of transportation or resale value, for those seeking to go green at home, other than taking up a full garage space (if it'll fit in your garage), then it certainly makes more sense to buy a truck rather than any system designed to be a home battery backup!

If you could get the base model with an extended range battery, you're looking at around $55,000 out the door. But, those apparently are only being sold commercially. But, if Ford does offer them to the public, that would be a hell of a bargain. Buy it just for that. For those that don't need a truck but once every year or two, now you'd have one available.

As a vehicle, I think the F-150 Lighting is a horrible deal. As a vehicle, resale value is going to be horrible. It's outdated. It looks like a dime a dozen vehicle and is way outdated compared to other options. But, it still has value. So, I've decided there's no chance of buying it as my every day vehicle. Just makes zero sense. Now however, I have to decide if I really want to make the investment into solar and battery back-up at home. If so, then the F-150 Lightning is a no-brainer YES! Ford intended it to be one thing, yet it's true value is as something entirely different. Take a torch to it and cut the "truck" out of the system you want for the house, you could save a lot space too! LOL

·
Registered
76 Posts
Think further about it, for a home backup, the standard range 98 kWh battery makes more sense for around $57,000 (out the door). Brings cost down to $581 per kWh. Unfortunately, the base model is sold out. But, if you want to wait, then could save another $13,000 or so. But, I'm not sure if they're going to offer the home backup option on the standard range battery??

·
Registered
54 Posts
I was literally just thinking the same thing. Been trying to find a way to justify placing my order for an F-150 Lighting. Got the e-mail yesterday. Have wanted an EV truck forever, now, it's finally here. Order page says 20 weeks for delivery. But then, now that it got real, started thinking more seriously about it and doing the actual math.

Roughly, an EV F-150 is about a $25,000 premium over an equally equipped F-150 Ice Vehicle. With what EV chargers cost to charge now, it's not all that much cheaper anymore for charging versus gas. Will take quite a long time to make up $25,000. Add that to whatever you value your time at, being that a simple fill up with gas if 5 minutes, whereas an EV is AT LEAST, 30 minutes. As such, aside from saving the planet, the math to purchase an EV F-150 over an ICE F-150 simply doesn't add up. So that selling point is out the window.

Next point, having something different and unique for the extra $25,000?? Well, the Lightning looks pretty much like any other ICE F-150. So, for that extra money, you're buying a vehicle that looks basically the same as the other millions of F-150's on the road. Nothing special in terms of appearance. That takes that selling point out.

Next, technology and innovation.....Well, This one loses out as well. Unlike the Rivian, Hummer, upcoming Silverado, etc, all which were designed from the ground up as EV's, the F-150 was a last ditch effort to try and beat everyone to market and therefore they simply took an ICE F-150 and removed the drivetrain and replaced with the Batteries and EV motors. It's old body on frame tech that, before even being delivered, is outdated. Ford has already said, within a couple of years, an ALL NEW EV Truck will be designed and built. Therefore, these Lightings are going to be obsolete in just a couple of years and the resale values will plummet.

Price: Already stated above, its at least a $25,000 premium over an equal ICE F-150. That puts this thing at $80,000 PLUS, for an extended range battery. Over $100,000 if you want the nice model. Do you really think you'll be able to sell this thing in 3 years for anywhere close to that? Not a chance. Especially considering by that time, there will be several, far superior designed models available.

So, I'm still striking out on every possible selling point to buy one of these things. Add in that it's the only EV truck that doesn't have air suspension. Of the other trucks in this price range, it's well over 1 second slower in 0-60 acceleration. It is certainly a more practical work truck than the other options, but, I don't need a work truck. Good for those that do, but for me, not positive.

I have been considering going solar at home and adding a back-up battery system. Looking around, all battery backups are around $1,000 per kWh. Tesla, is $7,500 for 7.2 kWh. The Ford, being a whopping 131 kWh battery for $80,000, now starts to make a little sense. Being that it's designed to be wired in as a backup power source. This is the one aspect where Ford stands above the rest. The Hummer and Rivian have 110 outlets, thus could run an extension cord in a pinch. But, if the Ford really can be wired to be a back-up battery power source to automatically take over in a power outage, now it starts to have some value. You supposedly get three days from a full charge. Tesla says just 1 day if you spend $75,000 for TEN power walls. EcoFlow batteries are around $1,000 per kWh as well. WOW, what happened to getting battery costs down to $100 per kWh? But, if you buy the base model XLT with the extended range battery with only the forced $9,500 option, you end up around $80,000 after taxes, which is about $610 per kWh. Basically 40% less.

So, while it doesn't really have value as the best EV truck, most cost efficient mode of transportation or resale value, for those seeking to go green at home, other than taking up a full garage space (if it'll fit in your garage), then it certainly makes more sense to buy a truck rather than any system designed to be a home battery backup!

If you could get the base model with an extended range battery, you're looking at around $55,000 out the door. But, those apparently are only being sold commercially. But, if Ford does offer them to the public, that would be a hell of a bargain. Buy it just for that. For those that don't need a truck but once every year or two, now you'd have one available.

As a vehicle, I think the F-150 Lighting is a horrible deal. As a vehicle, resale value is going to be horrible. It's outdated. It looks like a dime a dozen vehicle and is way outdated compared to other options. But, it still has value. So, I've decided there's no chance of buying it as my every day vehicle. Just makes zero sense. Now however, I have to decide if I really want to make the investment into solar and battery back-up at home. If so, then the F-150 Lightning is a no-brainer YES! Ford intended it to be one thing, yet it's true value is as something entirely different. Take a torch to it and cut the "truck" out of the system you want for the house, you could save a lot space too! LOL
I did the math on this, and secured a Pro in first wave. Depending on your utility company the cost of adding power walls isn’t much different than not adding them. For mine the cost of one power wall is offset over 5 years to the point of only costing me about $1000. I’m planning on doing a 14kW solar with a single power wall and having the Lightning for multi day storm backup off the 30A plug in the bed. The last storm we were averaging about 300 watts per hour for essentials (both fridges, gas boiler, some lights and battery chargers), the 98kWh standard battery should run that load for two weeks.

I think the commonality with the standard F-150 platform is still an asset, I use my truck for work and prefer a real truck as opposed to unibody.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Think further about it, for a home backup, the standard range 98 kWh battery makes more sense for around $57,000 (out the door). Brings cost down to $581 per kWh. Unfortunately, the base model is sold out. But, if you want to wait, then could save another $13,000 or so. But, I'm not sure if they're going to offer the home backup option on the standard range battery??
I read before that they would support home backup with the SR battery, but you would have to buy the 80A charger separately. You can also use the 7.2kW pro power and a manual transfer switch.

I have gotten several quotes for installing home backup batteries and all quotes were about $8k in labor in addition to the battery cost. I expect that Sunrun will charge about the same to install the 80A charger.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I read before that they would support home backup with the SR battery, but you would have to buy the 80A charger separately. You can also use the 7.2kW pro power and a manual transfer switch.

I have gotten several quotes for installing home backup batteries and all quotes were about $8k in labor in addition to the battery cost. I expect that Sunrun will charge about the same to install the 80A charger.
Thank you.
Question is, on the home backup battery systems, how large are the batteries? Most are pretty small and will only offer 3-4 hours of whole-home backup. With the Tesla, it says I would have to order 8 batteries to get just one full day out of it for my house. Of course you could ration energy. EcoFlow batteries are $3,600 for 3.6 kWh. Tesla, $7,500 for, I think, 7.2 kWh batteries. Ford, $57,000 for 98 kWh. To match that with the Tesla, I would need at least 13 power walls at $7,500 each ($97,500). With EcoFlow, would need, 27 of their power units to have as much battery storage as the Ford. Car batteries are HUGE by comparison. Cheaper. And you get a truck that goes with it. If you want something that will serve you for Days rather than a few hours, the cost of multiple home back-up batteries gets very, very costly.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Actually, $57,000 for the Ford is for the 131 kWh battery. Only about $44,000 if you get the base model Ford with the 98 kWh battery. So even cheaper still. So it's $97,500 for equal Tesla battery capacity to the Ford's for $44,000. Less than half the cost and again, you get a truck with it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Thank you.
Question is, on the home backup battery systems, how large are the batteries? Most are pretty small and will only offer 3-4 hours of whole-home backup. With the Tesla, it says I would have to order 8 batteries to get just one full day out of it for my house. Of course you could ration energy. EcoFlow batteries are $3,600 for 3.6 kWh. Tesla, $7,500 for, I think, 7.2 kWh batteries. Ford, $57,000 for 98 kWh. To match that with the Tesla, I would need at least 13 power walls at $7,500 each ($97,500). With EcoFlow, would need, 27 of their power units to have as much battery storage as the Ford. Car batteries are HUGE by comparison. Cheaper. And you get a truck that goes with it. If you want something that will serve you for Days rather than a few hours, the cost of multiple home back-up batteries gets very, very costly.
The Tesla Powerwall 2 is 13kWh. The Powerwall 1 was 7 kWh. Most competitors offer similar size batteries. Some offer more modular systems so that you only have to buy one inverter etc. With the Powerwalls, you get an inverter with each battery.

We use about 15kWh per day excluding EV charging, but we don’t have air conditioning and our heating uses gas. We could easily reduce that to 7kWh per day if we ration it and don’t run our laundry, dryer, dishwasher etc.

One home battery would be enough for us as we can charge it with solar. But the Lightning would give us power for a week.

·
Registered
94 White Lightning, 14 CLA AMG, 67 Corvette, 68 Z28
14 Posts

I am a Scottish “numbers person“ and see it completely differently. My $47k (net) SR XLT with the 9.6 Kwh Pro Power will backup my 11.4 Kwh home solar system and the next 30 years old gas cost me only $2,500 for the extra panels (local use only with home charging). The extra PA solar REC’s will cover the extra $2,500 and the panels payback in less than 5 years so my net gas cost will be zero. Prices for new EV’s will be significantly higher in the future and supply of Lightning type trucks will be limited which will make $40k a good floor for resale after 5 years but my grandkids already want it anyway. Will be happy to compare total ownership costs in 5 years with any similar new ICE pickup in 5 years.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts