⚡ Ford Lightning Forum ⚡ banner

Charging Away From Home, Long Trips, Apps and Other Advice?

5K views 20 replies 9 participants last post by  ChasingCoral 
#1 · (Edited)
Besides the Ford Pass App, what other apps do we need to use or download? For those of us that mainly plan on charging at home, I’ll want to make a long distance trip twice a year, but want to be prepared when I do.

Edits and TLDR Suggestions from users responding. (Note: I'll update as needed. Read thread for more details. Some networks are better in different locations.)
  • Ford Pass App (integrates w/Lightning)
  • Lighting Navigation Screen (more of a list, not necessarily perfect yet)
  • PlugShare - May be best general app, has user feedback, includes free charging locations, and most networks are included.
Charging Networks (All have Smartphone Apps)
  • EA (Electrify America) - Largest network in the US. Ford offers free 250 kWh. Integrates with Ford Pass.
  • EvGo - 2nd largest network. Slower chargers. Inconsistent.
  • Chargepoint - best for DC fast charging. Each location is independently owned. Pricing varies.
  • Blink - Limited. Owned or leased network. Prices vary.

See less See more
#2 ·
If you got the 250 kWh from Ford, just pull up to an EA station and plug in. I didn't even have to open the app for that even though I did the first time. You can just do it through the Ford pass app (oh and make sure for the free kWh that you have a credit card set up in your Ford pass account and that it is activated) to charge.

I have EA and EvGo. Though for my region, EA seems to be the only ones with consistent DCFC stations. PlugShare is a good app to see all stations and you can filter by plug type and min/max kWh you want to have.

I also believe with PlugShare you may probably get a better idea of what isn't operational since there is user feedback.

Reactions: Art p and Simsonic
#3 ·
It also depends on where you are, and where you are going, as parts of the country have better coverage by some brands, than others - like here in Georgia - CHARGEPOINT is the preferred brand in the rural areas of the state, as GeorgiaPower is hosting many of those. EA tends to be mainly in the Atlanta metro areas, and EG Go and a few others are scattered.

What I've found is that CHARGEPOINT is the go-to app for DC FAST CHARGING, for the obvious stops at those stations, but they also serve other 'brands' thru the same app, such as EV GO, which I used yesterday with the Chargepoint app. It works well, is easy when you have an account, and gives you kwh charging speed feedback, via a graph.
The Ford Pass app can provide many charging location options, but I find that it is not 'map' based, but is more just a 'list', mainly sorted by miles from your current location, although not necessarily in the DIRECTION you are traveling. I would suspect that they should be able to update their app to know you GPS direction, while traveling, and give you more appropriate 'charge locations ahead' or 'charge locations along this route', etc.
Your own Lightning center screen's NAVIGATION has options to find charging stations. It may be the only 'app' you really need.

I also have the EA app, though using the Ford Pass app, or simply plug-n-charge, works just as well.

PLUG SHARE app is probably the best 'general' app for ALL charging options, not associated with any 'brand' - it's populated mainly by us users, reviews, operational stations, speed, etc. You can even find simple 'outlets' to plug into, like NEMA 14-50, if you have your EVSE cord with you. I've found that it's interesting that many LITTLE CEASAR's pizza stores in our area show up as 'EV Friendly, come to the rear of the store and Plug in!'. Also, CAMPGROUNDS and RV PARKS can be a great 'emergency' source for charging - many have NEMA 14-50 outlet at their sites to plug into, or even one at the office, for a small fee.

#4 ·
This is the problem with traveling and charging. It will 100% depend on where you live and what brand is available and which chargers are even working at the time you need them. There could be a few different options and you'll likely need an app for each one of them. For the Oklahoma area - Francis Energy is a player, but very local to that area only for now. It truly depends on where you are headed.

Reactions: Simsonic
#11 ·
They also have an app of their own. I downloaded it this week and for $5 got one of their RFID cards. Mainly because they have a 200 kW charger in the town where my mom lives (I can also charge on a 14-50 at my moms) but the Francis charger was just reported on Plug Share as not properly accepting credit cards or something, but it would activate for the RFID card. All of these charging solutions are just so poorly supported you want every tool you can have to activate and get a charge.

Reactions: Simsonic
#12 ·
It did really well in the Mustang. And it was able to read the charge of the battery and suggest charging stops on a route. Still needed some tweaking, but I was quite happy with it.

That being said Apple Maps doesn’t yet exchange information with the Lightning. Don’t really know why. But it’s been said to arrive at one point.

#9 ·
This is a recap of the Feds proposed rules from last June for the companies to get a share of the $5b allocated for charging stations, we should hear of the final rules soon. I think they will help.

Wednesday, June 22, 2022
Notice of Proposed Rulemaking (NPRM) to establish a set of minimum standards and requirements for electric vehicle (“EV”) charging infrastructure projects funded with federal dollars
Installation and Operation:
The NPRM would require each charging station under the NEVI Program to offer a minimum of four Direct Current Fast Charger (“DCFC”) ports capable of simultaneously charging four EVs. Each DCFC port must utilize a Combined Charging System (“CCS”) Type 1 connector and be capable of charging any CCS-compliant vehicle. Each DCFC port would be required to offer charging of at least 150 kilowatts (kW) simultaneously. A J1772 connector would be required for any AC Level 2 chargers. The 150-kW rate is still short of leading networks’ maximum charging capacity (in the range of 250 kW to 350 kW), but it would be a significant improvement if deployed on the national scale that the BIL envisions.
Charging stations would be required to be available for use by the public 24 hours a day, seven days a week, and on a year-round basis, with few exceptions. This would be a welcome standard for current EV drivers that can often be surprised on a road trip that a charging station that appears to be “public” is really in a hotel parking lot restricted to hotel guests, or is located in a parking garage that closes after normal daytime business hours.
In another important step, operators of charging stations could not require memberships for use. Stations would be prohibited from restricting access or service by membership or payment method type. At the same time, contactless payment options would be required and all major debit and credit cards would be accepted. Today, many charging networks require a driver to set up an individual account and login with the network in advance, or risk standing at a charging station feverishly creating a username and unique password in the rain or cold and entering credit card digits. Such accounts can provide some advantages if created in advance and if a driver can rely on a single particular network. But much like the maligned walled gardens of software platforms, this can restrict consumer options. The NPRM would push the consumer experience closer to a typical visit to a gas station where drivers can expect to pull into any station, swipe a credit card, and fill the tank. And where credential-based connectivity and payment is provided, the NPRM requires that charging networks be capable of communicating with other charging networks to enable customers to use a single credential regardless of the charging network responsible for a charging station.

#14 ·
I've just been using the Ford Pass App and find in network blue oval chargers. For that reason I haven't looked for another app.

I'm in North Carolina and have my charging experiences are in the vicinity of Raleigh;
I have had really good experiences with Electrify America chargers. On the other hand, I have had all of my worst experiences with EvGo chargers. They just seem clunky, broken, and at a minimum inconsistent as you cited earlier. Do date I have not been able to get a single EvGo charger going without a fault.

For home charging ... my Clipper Creek HCS-60 is doing great so far. Plug in overnight and have a fully charged truck by the time I leave in the morning.

#15 ·
I've just been using the Ford Pass App and find in network blue oval chargers. For that reason I haven't looked for another app.

I'm in North Carolina and have my charging experiences are in the vicinity of Raleigh;
I have had really good experiences with Electrify America chargers. On the other hand, I have had all of my worst experiences with EvGo chargers. They just seem clunky, broken, and at a minimum inconsistent as you cited earlier. Do date I have not been able to get a single EvGo charger going without a fault.

For home charging ... my Clipper Creek HCS-60 is doing great so far. Plug in overnight and have a fully charged truck by the time I leave in the morning.
Yeah, I get the ease of using one App, especially because it is integrated w/ our trucks. Do you find that you have problems with paying or charging with EvGo because they might need their app to use, or do they integrate with the Ford Pass app too?

#18 ·
I've been a little concerned at both EV GO fast chargers I've used, as well, although both actually did charge as they were expected to - it's just old technology and little concern of the 'look' of the unit - but, if it works....

funny that some have great experiences with one brand, like EA, while some of the rest of us do not - it may be regional, as if maintenance people in one area do better than those in the other, etc... but, who knows.

#20 ·
Electrify America in my area uses some solid Siemens equipment. I was so impressed with it I decided to research it ...

#21 ·
I didn't see anyone mention A Better Route Planner (ABRP). This is really handy for checking chargers along routes and doing multi-stop or round trip calculations. However, it is very conservative and tends to recommend charging more often than is necessary. As a result, I use ABRP to plan and then see what the truck navigation says for the real charging needs.

You can use ABRP with an OBDII scanner. The benefit is this provides real-time battery info. However, it will still be overly conservative.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.