⚡ Ford Lightning Forum ⚡ banner

Chargepoint Home Flex vs the FCSP

2K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  CondorActual 
#1 ·
So, my local power company seems to support off-hours charging rates for a list of vehicles that have supported telematics (Ford Mach-E seems to be supported), as well as one specific EVSE - the Chargepoint Home Flex. This unit can be hardwired or plugged into a 14-50/6-50 as the case may be. I'm not going to be using the V2H/Sunrun system as I have an existing solar system that doesn't support the vehicle to home solution. My question is, other than the obvious amperage difference, is there a reason to not go with the Chargepoint solution and just sell the FCSP when it arrives? Does charging at 80 amps over night really improve your charging experience that much over 48 amps? The chargepoint app and software solution seems a bit more feature rich that the Ford solution, and getting support for the Chargepoint might be easier than trying to deal with Ford if something goes wrong. Would I be missing some useful features from the FordPass app if I don't go with the FCSP solution?

Is anyone else thinking of going along a similar, non-FCSP route for charging your trucks? If so, I'd love to hear your thoughts.

#2 ·
I will keep my HomeFlex. With a 14-50 cordset on it, it makes a nice 'portable' EVSE as a faster fallback campground charge for long trips. It hasn't been off the wall since I installed it, but it's not that hard to take along. Utility support would be great. I'm with a utility that is going to change me from current TOU rates to Super Off Peak rates...someday. I'll probably keep the Charge Station Pro if I need to charge faster than 40A to take advantage of the narrower use window, unless the resale market is hot.

#3 ·
If you have an ER battery, the dual chargers will allow the truck to charge almost twice as fast on an 80A CSP vs a 48A charger. However, either will charge your truck overnight and slower is gentler on the battery. Do you really need your overnight charging to happen twice as fast?

Personally, I'd go with a unit that works well with my local power company.

#4 ·
Not that I have mine yet, but...
FWIW, I've read forum posts from several FCSP owners that say the unit tends to overheat and report errors at 80A. Bumping it down to 72A or 64A seems to work much better. The more you know.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.