⚡ Ford Lightning Forum ⚡ banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There is a ferry. It is easier to go down the Baja side however, using an adapter and the Tesla chargers all the way down. 😎
Cool!! Ferry made sense to me but i wasn't sure. Also, going down Baja makes total sense, however, the Ford website utiity doesnt show any chargers on that side.. So im hoping when I do this experiment on the actual truck, it will show the Baja way..

·
Registered
99 Posts
Cool!! Ferry made sense to me but i wasn't sure. Also, going down Baja makes total sense, however, the Ford website utiity doesnt show any chargers on that side.. So im hoping when I do this experiment on the actual truck, it will show the Baja way..
It won't, because the Ford utility will never show Tesla chargers. Happily, Plugshare has ya covered.

;-)

·
Registered
37 Posts
How does it work to use the Tesla chargers for non-Tesla vehicles? Obviously, an adapter needed, but is Tesla OK with this? Will they let you create an account and charge a non Tesla vehicle? Definitely would change things for me on trips to the upper midwest with lack of charging stations (yes, I'm talking to you, North Dakota.) thanks.

·
Registered
99 Posts
How does it work to use the Tesla chargers for non-Tesla vehicles? Obviously, an adapter needed, but is Tesla OK with this? Will they let you create an account and charge a non Tesla vehicle? Definitely would change things for me on trips to the upper midwest with lack of charging stations (yes, I'm talking to you, North Dakota.) thanks.
A simple snap-on adapter will allow you to charge any EV from a Tesla destination charger. Not to be confused with superchargers, but these destination chargers are often much more powerful than other level 2's around, and are very handy to be able to use.

These chargers are put in place by destinations such as hotels and restaurants, and are not controlled by tesla, so I have never experienced anybody having an issue with a non Tesla EV using them.

·
Registered
460 Posts
A simple snap-on adapter will allow you to charge any EV from a Tesla destination charger. Not to be confused with superchargers, but these destination chargers are often much more powerful than other level 2's around, and are very handy to be able to use.
Is there a link for one of those adapters?

·
Registered
158 Posts
Is there a link for one of those adapters?

Only use this Lectron model with a Tesla EVSE that you know is providing 40A or lower. Or, if Lightning has a setting for limiting the charge to 40A for Tesla EVSEs that can provide up to 80A.

·
Registered
99 Posts

Only use this Lectron model with a Tesla EVSE that you know is providing 40A or lower. Or, if Lightning has a setting for limiting the charge to 40A for Tesla EVSEs that can provide up to 80A.

... Which is why the 80a version of the TeslaTap is a good investment; because a lot of destination chargers will put out >40a. I don't know about you, but I want all the power it will give me. 😎

·
Registered
460 Posts
... Which is why the 80a version of the TeslaTap is a good investment; because a lot of destination chargers will put out >40a. I don't know about you, but I want all the power it will give me. 😎

Yea that's was my thought, just get the max and not worry about picking the right station. Popping around Plugshare now to get an idea of the spread around me and on road trips.

And looking at the screens in the Lightning I don't see that option to set the amps. Definitely not in the mach e.

·
Administrator
2021 Mustang Mach E First Edition, 2016 Nissan Leaf, 2003 Toyota Tacoma, F-150 Lightning reserved
1,406 Posts
I bought the 80A TeslaTap Mini

The latest generation Tesla chargers can run at high amperage and the Extended Range Lightning will charge at nearly 80A. You don't want the Lectron as they are underpowered for the job. I recommend only using one of the 80A Tesla Taps on a Lightning. A burned out adapter could cause major electrical issues in your new truck.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts