⚡ Ford Lightning Forum ⚡ banner
21 - 40 of 65 Posts

· Registered
29 Posts
My dealer told me today they are replacing my entire pack, which is what I wanted. They have quoted 2-3 weeks, but I’m not holding my breath on that. We shall see. Hopefully this is a small bump in the road of long term ownership.

· Registered
138 Posts
I was told ford would only replace the cell that's bad. There are 8 cells ford won't replace all 8 only the one that bad. I wanted a new battery they won't pay for it.
Do you really think your Ford Dealership has the capability to diagnose, and then open the battery to replace individual cells? These dealerships are just getting familiar with EV's. Most dealerships don't have enough techs to perform repairs or even service EV's. Tesla's new structural pack isn't serviceable and that is a good thing IMHO. When Munro & Associates take apart a battery pack they take a lot of precautions and they still don't seem comfortable handling it. Defective packs within warrantee will be sent back to the supplier for reconditioning or recycling. It is the suppliers problem unless Ford is currently producing the battery? Ford will prioritize batteries to new sales as that helps with CARB credits, sales numbers and revenue. Ford will most likely resolve defective battery issues by replacing truck.

· Registered
4 Posts
Do you really think your Ford Dealership has the capability to diagnose, and then open the battery to replace individual cells? These dealerships are just getting familiar with EV's. Most dealerships don't have enough techs to perform repairs or even service EV's. Tesla's new structural pack isn't serviceable and that is a good thing IMHO. When Munro & Associates take apart a battery pack they take a lot of precautions and they still don't seem comfortable handling it. Defective packs within warrantee will be sent back to the supplier for reconditioning or recycling. It is the suppliers problem unless Ford is currently producing the battery? Ford will prioritize batteries to new sales as that helps with CARB credits, sales numbers and revenue. Ford will most likely resolve defective battery issues by replacing truck.
I saw the hold battery pack disconnected from truck on lift they undolt it from truck ford tech was there told them what to do. It's not like one cell it inclose unit link together to the others each one separately

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
UPDATE......Battery still on back order with no ETA. @Ford Motor Company customer care did reach out and said they were doing everything they could to get the part except they were still building the trucks using the said back ordered batteries aka put more trucks out to customers rather than taking care of the ones you already have......anyways they did say they were going to offer financial assistance since the truck has been down for now 34 Days. Truck note assistance which they didn't specify how much that would even be and gas reimbursement at a laughable amount of $200 per month. So no clue on when I may get vehicle back. have 22 raptor ordered and built but on hold for a chip hold.

· Registered
29 Posts
UPDATE......Battery still on back order with no ETA. @Ford Motor Company customer care did reach out and said they were doing everything they could to get the part except they were still building the trucks using the said back ordered batteries aka put more trucks out to customers rather than taking care of the ones you already have......anyways they did say they were going to offer financial assistance since the truck has been down for now 34 Days. Truck note assistance which they didn't specify how much that would even be and gas reimbursement at a laughable amount of $200 per month. So no clue on when I may get vehicle back. have 22 raptor ordered and built but on hold for a chip hold.
Fingers crossed for you @ChaseV that it gets resolved sooner than later. I have just decided to stop stressing about mine as I have no control over it but they are telling me the part shipped - whether that’s true or not I guess remains to be seen? Would love to get it before January but I’m not betting on it. Most importantly I hope this is fixed with this single repair. Tesla gets a lot of flack on these forums but in the 10+ years we owned teslas we never had a single major issue with any of them. so by comparison this isn’t a great start to my ford EV relationship. i do understand that this is to be expected during production ramp however, we are just the unlucky few with failures. I just hope they fix it once and fix it for good. Otherwise you have to start looking into a lemon law return.

· Registered
8 Posts
Excited to see I am not the only one dealing with this issue. Truck got towed in on the 26th with a bad cell, and I still don't have an ETA on a replacement cell. They are covering the expense of a rental for the time being. I have tried reaching out to Ford, but all they do is call the parts department at the dealership. Really helpful. I am sadly starting to regret making the jump to the Lightning.

· Registered
8 Posts
I noticed for a week that it was only charging to 86% regardless of what my limit was set to. Then on the 26th I started it, gave a service vehicle soon notification, and it would barely back out of the garage. Max 10 mph.

· Registered
8 Posts
I just got the call from my dealership today, replacement cell is at the dealership. They called yesterday to say they had no ETA and then it showed up today.

I'm going to be pretty adamant with my appointed Ford customer service rep on an extended warranty on the batteries. Highly doubt I'll have this one thru the 8 yr warranty though at this rate.

· Registered
29 Posts
I just got the call from my dealership today, replacement cell is at the dealership. They called yesterday to say they had no ETA and then it showed up today.

I'm going to be pretty adamant with my appointed Ford customer service rep on an extended warranty on the batteries. Highly doubt I'll have this one thru the 8 yr warranty though at this rate.
I was wondering about the battery warranty after replacement too. But it doesn’t seem like something you could negotiate, if you do please let us know! Supposedly my battery is arriving tomorrow so I hope to get it back this week. Fingers crossed.

· Registered
2022 Lariat ER | Res: 4/19/21 | Order: 5/19/22 | Prod: 7/25 | Dlvrd: Soon? | FCSP: Soon?
141 Posts
I was wondering about the battery warranty after replacement too. But it doesn’t seem like something you could negotiate, if you do please let us know! Supposedly my battery is arriving tomorrow so I hope to get it back this week. Fingers crossed.
Failure usually happens early on with batteries. If your battery stays good for a couple of years, it's mostly likely the battery degradation will be the most we have to worry about.

· Administrator
2021 Mustang Mach E First Edition, 2016 Nissan Leaf, 2003 Toyota Tacoma, F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
3,584 Posts
I would expect that you are still covered by the original 8-year 100,000 mile warranty.

Reactions: scoobie

· Registered
9 Posts
They should. My dealer has been great. I’ve already ordered a replacement vehicle. Lucky enough to get a raptor 37 package. Love the lightning just have a hard time trusting it. I was first one at my dealership. Have a 23 platinum ordered as well. So we will
See what they do
I received my 2023 Platinum. Towed to dealership with 1600 miles. They don’t know what’s going on. Battery failure possible.

21 - 40 of 65 Posts