I am a first time truck buyer. Need the following

• Security
  • Surdiness
  • Usage
  • Cold Climate - Snow etc, hope hinges do not ice up

Can someone please help?

· Registered
103 Posts
I have the MX4 which is my 5th truck in a row with that cover (or version of it) on. Been a rock. Security is good, solid Build and doesn’t have issues in weather (we just spent 2 weeks of single to negative temps).

It also comes of easily should you need to.

· Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have the MX4 which is my 5th truck in a row with that cover (or version of it) on. Been a rock. Security is good, solid Build and doesn’t have issues in weather (we just spent 2 weeks of single to negative temps).

It also comes of easily should you need to.
Thanks for the feedback. Do you know where can I buy it - best price and what should I be paying.

Last would you recommend me getting the Linex Peemium spray done as I did not get the Sprayed Bedliner.

· Registered
103 Posts
You’re gonna pay about $1,000 give or take. I got my most recent one from Amazon as an open box return where everything was still sealed for about $850 but your mileage may vary. Check local truck accessory shops, amazon, real truck etc…

For the bed liner I had a Tuff Coat liner sprayed and it was well worth it. All in about $450 and looks fantastic. I didn’t have a line-x dealer near me that had staff (long story). If i had to do it over again, I would go the same route with Tuff Coat.

· Registered
2023 XLT SR Carbonized Grey, Nissan Leaf, Honda Clarity
88 Posts
I have undercover instead of bak flip, but the trifold version is my preferred choice because it stays flat in the two open positions. Fully open, it does block the rear window, but most likely you have something in the bed that’s already blocking your view. Don’t have snow here, but did well in two weeks of rain. Little water entered in the corners of the bed. I like how solid and smooth the top is.

I think the main difference between bak flip and undercover is the fully open position. The backflip is a little lower so if doesn’t cover the brake lights, but it rest on the rear window. Undercover does cover the brake lights but it doesn’t rest on the rear window. I went with undercover because it has locking on all positions. I can’t confirm but from videos online the bak flip didn’t on the second panel.

I got mine on a Black Friday sale, about 200 off directly from the manufacturer. Bakflip had a similar deal at the same time. I think there are a few similar sales throughout the year.

· Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have undercover instead of bak flip, but the trifold version is my preferred choice because it stays flat in the two open positions. Fully open, it does block the rear window, but most likely you have something in the bed that’s already blocking your view. Don’t have snow here, but did well in two weeks of rain. Little water entered in the corners of the bed. I like how solid and smooth the top is.

I think the main difference between bak flip and undercover is the fully open position. The backflip is a little lower so if doesn’t cover the brake lights, but it rest on the rear window. Undercover does cover the brake lights but it doesn’t rest on the rear window. I went with undercover because it has locking on all positions. I can’t confirm but from videos online the bak flip didn’t on the second panel.

I got mine on a Black Friday sale, about 200 off directly from the manufacturer. Bakflip had a similar deal at the same time. I think there are a few similar sales throughout the year.
If I am getting BAKFlip MX4 for $929 shipped is that a good deal. That is $150 off the retail. I will look into Undercover as locking in all positions sound a good idea.

· Registered
88 Posts
If I am getting BAKFlip MX4 for $929 shipped is that a good deal. That is $150 off the retail. I will look into Undercover as locking in all positions sound a good idea.
I think that’s a good price for convenience and ease of purchase. You might save another 100 if you go with techdaddy3x’s route but you might not receive a “new” condition item. It’ll be a pain the return (if online) because of the size or have to wait through a warranty claim.

· Registered
18 Posts
I've been tracking the price for a few months now
That's a good price, the lowest I saw for a new one was Cyber Monday for around $900
Lower than that will likely be very time sensitive, meaning something like a 20% off sitewise on some truck accessories store

· Registered
6 Posts
I currently have the MX4 hard tri-fold on my Silverado. I love it. But when I get my Lightning, hopefully next month, I think I’m going to get the X4S.

One thing that I find annoying with the tri-fold is that my tailgate has to be closed before closing the last flap of the cover. The cover sits on top of the closed tailgate. If I were to open the tailgate, I have to lift the cover, close the tailgate, then close the cover. I’ve had my cover since about 2015, so I might have an older version. And maybe they’ve changed that on newer tri-fold models.

However, with the X4S, you can close it either before or after the tailgate. I can open the tailgate with the cover closed, throw something in the bed, and shut the tailgate, all without having to open the cover.

It’s a very minor inconvenience, but I thought I would mention it. I would still buy my cover again in a heartbeat, but want to try a roll version, hence why I’ll get the X4S for the Lightning.

· Registered
88 Posts
I currently have the MX4 hard tri-fold on my Silverado. I love it. But when I get my Lightning, hopefully next month, I think I’m going to get the X4S.

One thing that I find annoying with the tri-fold is that my tailgate has to be closed before closing the last flap of the cover. The cover sits on top of the closed tailgate. If I were to open the tailgate, I have to lift the cover, close the tailgate, then close the cover. I’ve had my cover since about 2015, so I might have an older version. And maybe they’ve changed that on newer tri-fold models.

However, with the X4S, you can close it either before or after the tailgate. I can open the tailgate with the cover closed, throw something in the bed, and shut the tailgate, all without having to open the cover.

It’s a very minor inconvenience, but I thought I would mention it. I would still buy my cover again in a heartbeat, but want to try a roll version, hence why I’ll get the X4S for the Lightning.
For the undercover armor flex, you can open and close tailgate without opening cover.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts