⚡ Ford Lightning Forum ⚡ banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
396 Posts
Is there a way to add my home charger to the truck memory or list of chargers? Maybe even through the fordpass app?
Yes, at least for charge settings. Are you thinking on the navigation/map?

· Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was driving home today and the nav system wanted me to go to a charger 24 miles away even though home/destination was 16 miles away. It didn't know I had a charger at home. So yes on the map. I understand how to set the charge to 80%; that's not what I'm interested in.

· Registered
396 Posts
Interesting. Usually with that small of a discrepancy it just gets you to your destination. I know there are settings for charge level on arrival, never occurred to me to use navigation to find charging that close to home.

· Registered
396 Posts
Now I see what you mean, I just plugged in a route toward the edge of my range, and it routed me 10 miles out of the way to charge from 12% to 15% to get home with 10%.

When I bumped starting charge from 90 to 95, it routed me straight home.
Definitely not the smoothest navigation system.

· Registered
85 Posts
yeah, I have the same question. My charger has been warning me the last few days that I'm out of range of the nearest charging station when I was only 20 miles from my cabin. When I selected the nearest station, it only gave the commercial stations. That's lame! I don't want this stupid alarm popping up every time I'm on my way to the ski resort.

· Administrator
2021 Mustang Mach E First Edition, 2016 Nissan Leaf, 2003 Toyota Tacoma, F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
3,799 Posts
Yes, once you have charged at home you can save that location. That is how you set your preferred charging limit. When the truck is at home follow the instructions for setting charging schedule and preferences found on page 214 of the manual.

· Registered
396 Posts
Yes, once you have charged at home you can save that location. That is how you set your preferred charging limit. When the truck is at home follow the instructions for setting charging schedule and preferences found on page 214 of the manual.
That's what I thought the question was first too, but it's not. This is more related to how the navigation system handles getting home with little charge left, in my example above it would let me get home with 12% but not with 10%, it would route me to a charger 7 miles out of the way to charge from 12% to 15% to get me home.

· Administrator
2021 Mustang Mach E First Edition, 2016 Nissan Leaf, 2003 Toyota Tacoma, F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
3,799 Posts
That's what I thought the question was first too, but it's not. This is more related to how the navigation system handles getting home with little charge left, in my example above it would let me get home with 12% but not with 10%, it would route me to a charger 7 miles out of the way to charge from 12% to 15% to get me home.
First step is you need to have your home charger in the truck's memory. IIRC the next thing you would need to do is either adjust the setting for minimum charge allowed when you get home or just ignore it. I believe the truck is set for 10% at destination.

· Registered
85 Posts
@KElkhorn you're right. This is the same thing I'm seeing. Does not appear to be a way to add a charger (yours, your work's, others) to the Nav system intelligence. Add to the list of features that @Ford Motor Company needs on their software.

Does anyone know if other smarter EV software does this? I think my wife's 12 year old Leaf does this. 🤔

· Registered
396 Posts
I don't know that you want it to add the charger to the Nav, as much as to let you go below the 10% if you are navigating to a preferred charge location.

· Registered
85 Posts
I don't know that you want it to add the charger to the Nav, as much as to let you go below the 10% if you are navigating to a preferred charge location.
I just want to get rid of the annoying alarm. I'll just adjust my low battery level warning setting. Still would like to see my charger show up on the nav map. I haven't messed with the Ford nav system as I use AirPlay most of the time. I think I added "Home" once. Maybe if I add "Cabin" I can associate that with a charger?

· Registered
396 Posts
In the Ford Nav or the AirPlay Nav? I know next to nothing about Apple devices

· Registered
Tesla Y, Cadillac ELR, Rivian R1T, Chevrolet Spark EV
590 Posts
@KElkhorn you're right. This is the same thing I'm seeing. Does not appear to be a way to add a charger (yours, your work's, others) to the Nav system intelligence. Add to the list of features that @Ford Motor Company needs on their software.

Does anyone know if other smarter EV software does this? I think my wife's 12 year old Leaf does this. 🤔
Yes, Tesla allows your to add EVSE's, including your home unit. It is helpful for exactly the reasons you describe (calculating trips home), and hopefully will be added to Ford's nav.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts